Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Would much rather be the team frustrated by a MOTM performance from the keeper than vice versa.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That Newcastle goal led a charmed life and that wasn't even counting Pope playing out of his skin. About the closest we could come to winning without actually winning

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
2015/2016,2016/2017, 2017/2018, 2018/2019, 2019/2020, 2020/2021 ?

:lolol: Yes, and thank you for nodding in my pass for an open goal! I’ll claim the assist though.

Yes, if todays match were half way through last season everyone would be venting more deja vu frustration. But because it’s only 2nd game, and we won at OT, we’re all in forgiving mood and quite pleased with ourselves. But really, if we all collectively expected more from our club because we had a history at this level, we’d chalk today up as 2 points dropped and not be banging on about the opponents keeper being man of the match and cursing our luck. As we have a many times before in recent seasons. Fact is, we still need consistent finisher(s) at this elite level.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
All decent enough. We’ve played a team many expect to make a big noise this season and we’ve neutered them. Shame we couldn’t finish the job but that’s two matches we’ve largely bossed now. We’ll only make the next level when we crack the code of turning these draws into victories.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Thought Newcastle played very well to prevent us playing how we wanted to, I think that was their main aim, even then we had the better chances and 'should' have won.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Sorry, was being facetious :) Peddling that old moan about East Standers not turning up and leaving early. They’re sort of the Solly March of the stands. Go unnoticed and kicked by everyone else! :) Unreasonably so, cause every stand is as bad really. We’re all Equi rubbish when comes to self criticism! But that doesn’t stop everyone blaming the poor old easy targets East!

Not sure about that- was pretty full everywhere else so...

Anyway, re the game - really should've won but would've taken a draw before the game ... mitoma looks the real deal... looked solid at the back... cancelled each other out a little first half but definitely the better team second half... same old tired story of keeper having a blinder/missing a few gilt edged chances

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
That Newcastle goal led a charmed life and that wasn't even counting Pope playing out of his skin. About the closest we could come to winning without actually winning

Not this old chestnut TH! How many times have we all said this before?!!

We did really well today, it’s an excellent point. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very pleased. But we seem to have forgotten last seasons problem? And season before? And…It’s ok to say we dropped 2 points again because we still lack finishers. Even if it’s only 2nd game of the season and the slate was wiped clean.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not sure about that- was pretty full everywhere else so...

The East only gets a bad press because it’s facing the cameras. When look about, the north and the West aren’t really any different.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Newcastle hasn’t ever won at the Amex, and we can’t beat Eddie Howe teams so a draw was inevitable.

Pretty much this. Several pundits said was a nailed on nil nil pre match because of. I thought same. I’ve never bet but I seem to always get it right when I feel I should. Of course, this would completely change the result if I did. As it does for people that do!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Deserved to win, but relatively happy with a point and clean sheet.

Lallana and Groß both missed absolute sitters, plus two shots cleared off the line. Sanchez didn’t have to make a save of note, except Wilson’s when he was flagged offside.

Good energy levels given the heat and Newcastle were holding on the last 20 minutes in particular.

Mitoma looked very, very promising running against a tired Trippier and Schär, definitely will be in and around the squad based on that performance.

A good performance overall, particularly in the second half, but that was very much the Albion (xG wise, especially!) of a few years back. Sometimes it just really feels - in my gut as a fan - we don’t have a goal in us on the day no matter how well we create the chances. Such is football!

Oh, am I alone in feeling a mixture of confusion, nervousness and excitement whenever Mwepu gets the ball? I sometimes get the feeling he has no clue what will happen, the sublime or the ridiculous. He almost assists a goal with a perfect cutback, then controls the ball into the stand. He is nothing if not entertaining to watch!

The mwepu comment is very much what made Fastino Asprilla a great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Not this old chestnut TH! How many times have we all said this before?!!

We did really well today, it’s an excellent point. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very pleased. But we seem to have forgotten last seasons problem? And season before? And…It’s ok to say we dropped 2 points again because we still lack finishers. Even if it’s only 2nd game of the season and the slate was wiped clean.

You're not looking at this holistically my friend. We're firmly in the Post-Finisher Era now. Get with the program daddio :mad:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The East only gets a bad press because it’s facing the cameras. When look about, the north and the West aren’t really any different.

I was looking from north middle - I'm telling you now the west lower, west upper and east upper were mostly full, as was east lower towards away fans. East lower towards North loads of empty seats

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Deserved to win, but relatively happy with a point and clean sheet.

Lallana and Groß both missed absolute sitters, plus two shots cleared off the line. Sanchez didn’t have to make a save of note, except Wilson’s when he was flagged offside.

Good energy levels given the heat and Newcastle were holding on the last 20 minutes in particular.

Mitoma looked very, very promising running against a tired Trippier and Schär, definitely will be in and around the squad based on that performance.

A good performance overall, particularly in the second half, but that was very much the Albion (xG wise, especially!) of a few years back. Sometimes it just really feels - in my gut as a fan - we don’t have a goal in us on the day no matter how well we create the chances. Such is football!

Oh, am I alone in feeling a mixture of confusion, nervousness and excitement whenever Mwepu gets the ball? I sometimes get the feeling he has no clue what will happen, the sublime or the ridiculous. He almost assists a goal with a perfect cutback, then controls the ball into the stand. He is nothing if not entertaining to watch!

Lallana is an ex England international and Gross scored two opportunist goals last week. Both fecked up when it was probably easier to score today but Pope deserves credit. I find it hard to moan when we are unlucky rather than lucky, we should have won that game though. We no longer look like relegation candidates but nor do we look like top six challengers.

i have to pinch myself when I am a bit pissed we aren’t top six :shrug:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016

100% agree - excited but scared at same time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here