Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
There were too many caveats to add, it would have turned into an essay. I feel all overseas fans are excluded from this, also following a family tradition is fair, as is a little kid with no parental guidance to set them on the correct path (in my case I was Liverpool in the 80s since my family were rugger buggers so I knew no better).

Another exception in my world up here in London is with a lot of my friends and work colleagues who are second or third generations down from immigrant families from non-footballing countries so they suffer from the double whammy of no familial guidance together with the societal pressures that come with being in a minority and the various faces of racism. Growing up most would not have felt safe or welcome attending games back in the 80s and 90s, making it much more tempting to pick a famous team and watch on TV instead, so I tend to be less judgemental with them.

Not you though Mike from Guildford. Not you. You have been to Old Trafford 3 times in 40 years, you are not a football supporter just a plastic, glory hunting, twat of a fan. I don't like Mike.

Yes I get your points, that if you've not been 'allocated' a team from birth you are at the mercy of what is popular at school. Thankfully supporting Brighton has now become ultra cool, so kids that would had typically been hovered up by City or Liverpool are now becoming Brighton fans.

I dare say if their parents are only casual fans of one of the 'big 6' and not hardcores, peer pressure from their mates at school could still turn them into Brighton fans, especially if they are attending games which gives them roots with the club.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
My daughter was born in Chertsey, which is near as dammit Guildford. She supports Brighton. She had little choice in the matter but I'm delighted to say she has embraced it wholeheartedly, which is nice considering our footballing journey together began at Withdean on a Baltic night.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My daughter was born in Chertsey, which is near as dammit Guildford. She supports Brighton. She had little choice in the matter but I'm delighted to say she has embraced it wholeheartedly, which is nice considering our footballing journey together began at Withdean on a Baltic night.
All the best Albion fans were born in Chertsey. (y)

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Any records any videos of the penalty? Always find the fan stuff gives a better idea of the atmosphere right after a goal more so than Sky etc.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
TBF we are trying grow our fanbase to get some fans that live outside of Sussex.

Obviously I get your point and largely agree with it but other than locality theres plenty of other reasons for supporting a team, identifying with certain players, hence our growing Japanese and South American fanbase and the clubs style of play and the way it's run.
I think identifying with a different team for a variety of reasons isn't the issue. As someone said its a matter of self awareness and not being a prick about adopted success.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Indeed, if there had been a proper bundle there would have been a few Manure floored. And we have got 6 points from the twats. Job's a good un... :thumbsup:
The six points is the clincher for me...and I'm kinda pleased Anthony didn't get a red, because it meant he was on the pitch to see close up AliMac thump that penalty. Get. In!!!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Bumping this thread to ask a question - before the game against Everton the club showed highlights of the match on the big screens - a short film finishing with a drone shot high above the Amex at the end of the game. Has anyone seen it posted anywhere? I can't find it on the club site or social media but it was pretty amazing and would love to see it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here