Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Hudson Hawk

Feb 20, 2017
Upper Beeding
United seem to have worked out how to stifle our midfield triangles. Yesterday, we found alternative routes that we didn't at Wembley. What was it that they are doing that made it so hard to pass into the double pivot with any level of confidence yesterday? Esp in the first half.

And we were a bit light on the right in the first half, felt Moises came quite central and Buonanotte didn't do his defensive duties as well as March. To be expected really when one is player out of position and the other is inexperienced, but still both done well.

Says a lot about us when United's best chances were long balls on the counter.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Popped onto Red Cafe to see how they viewed it. Bunch of entitled goons seemed to think the ref was against them. The whole “could have easily been down to nine men” thing was seemingly lost on them.

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Well, I just want to say that you have a f***ing good side, a lovely city and pleasant fans.

You have a bit of a thing about our fans not being from Manchester, mind, which I can kind of understand, but I must say that our out of towners who go are some of the most loyal fans in football.

It's a 30 minute journey for me on the tram to OT, but I am somehow more worthy cos of my accent (this was a comment I received last night)?

Still gutted but all the best for the future. We should have got a point but you pushed for it in the 2nd half and got your reward.
Fair comment mate 👍

You have to remember we all grew up with Man Utd fans at school who were from our home town but supported Utd because they were winning everything

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Well, I just want to say that you have a f***ing good side, a lovely city and pleasant fans.

You have a bit of a thing about our fans not being from Manchester, mind, which I can kind of understand, but I must say that our out of towners who go are some of the most loyal fans in football.

It's a 30 minute journey for me on the tram to OT, but I am somehow more worthy cos of my accent (this was a comment I received last night)?

Still gutted but all the best for the future. We should have got a point but you pushed for it in the 2nd half and got your reward.
It's not about worthiness. It's about identity. If you're from Manchester and you live in Manchester you won't have had to spend a lifetime dealing with the absolute plastic helmets that festoon the rest of the country. With Red Devil tattoos, a fake swagger and a bucket hat. Absolute losers, that self consciously chose the best team in the country in the 90s as they felt it gave them a sense of superiority that masked their inherent inadequacy in real life. Never shut up in work, in the pub, trot out the 'my Dad yada yada' - totally overcompensating arseholes with a banter vacuum where their character should be.

Every Brighton fan and every fan of every provincial Club in the country will know who I'm referring to and will know dozens of them. That's why we sung about it and that's what the 'thing'. Is. And if you think there wasn't plenty of those fans in the stadium last night you're kidding yourself. I personally overheard enough conversations outside the stadium last night to have identified 20 odd straight away.

This doesn't change because some of your away support go regularly from Dublin, Market Harborough or Croydon.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
1683279893410.png

:dunky:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

On the accent side of things, this comes from a lifetime of dick heads thinking they are somehow better than us because they chose to support a successful football team from the other end of the country. If you support your local team then you are a proper football supporter, if instead you chose the dark side and stick with some team because you were mad about Bryan Robson when you were 7 then have some self awareness, you are a grubby, little glory hunter and need to keep your "banter" for the plastic Liverpool and Chelsea fans you play golf with every Tuesday.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
On the accent side of things, this comes from a lifetime of dick heads thinking they are somehow better than us because they chose to support a successful football team from the other end of the country. If you support your local team then you are a proper football supporter, if instead you chose the dark side and stick with some team because you were mad about Bryan Robson when you were 7 then have some self awareness, you are a grubby, little glory hunter and need to keep your "banter" for the plastic Liverpool and Chelsea fans you play golf with every Tuesday.

TBF we are trying grow our fanbase to get some fans that live outside of Sussex.

Obviously I get your point and largely agree with it but other than locality theres plenty of other reasons for supporting a team, identifying with certain players, hence our growing Japanese and South American fanbase and the clubs style of play and the way it's run.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can I just interject with some constructive criticism please

mr Mitoma…you are a fantastic skilful footballer who sets our hearts alight with delight when you run at defenders.

however you are a shit diver and don’t even try to make it less obvious.

please stop it and concentrate on being brilliant.

thanks

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just got back from an overnighter to the Amex - major struggling managing journey etc but worth every minute of the intense 99’.

• Buonanotte shone for me slipping into March’s No 7 spot - he was instrumental in energising our attacking momentum in the first half - I hope his performance last night silenced some of the non-believers. Obviously March coming on after an hour or so immediately switched it up and was a great contrast in someone very much at home in De Zerbi ball compared to Facu learning the system but still 🙂.
  • I did think Enciso was a bit dissapointing and seemed to me to be a little ‘swallowed up’ in a central position loosing possession carelessly at times but he made some good attempts on goal.
  • Interesting using Caceido at the back in the first half in the absence of Veltman and Gross but it gave Gilmour some vital back up I thought but I was relieved when in the second half Colwill came on and Caceido went back into midfield to replace Gilmour - another very good game from Gilmour but nothing that has me on the edge of my seat yet - he often seems overly anxious to get rid of the ball very quickly not wanting to be caught in possession presumably when perhaps at times he could take a breath and steady the pace.
  • I thought Webster had an excellent game as did Steele.
  • Mac Allister was World Cup excellent of course and from the spot (only!), his goal scoring is rock solid
  • Mitoma, despite his excellent talent and being one of our best players by a long shot is beginning to irk me now at times - his tendency to dive in the 30 yard area ( in a failed attempts to emulate the skill of Veltman’s darks arts ) looses us advantage when the refs don’t buy it and the opposition plays on. He also missed a very good opportunity to set Enciso up for an virtually open net shot by instead choosing to work through a wall of defenders as has also been his inclination at times and this needs to change but I would start him every time despite that.

Overall, our conversion was poor and we lost possession with some careless passing at times as did Man United in both respects but as RDZ said in respect of the SF, ‘there is a god of football’ and we deserved the 3 points. Fantastic atmosphere at the end born of relief and ‘payback is a b1tch’ euphoria.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
TBF we are trying grow our fanbase to get some fans that live outside of Sussex.

Obviously I get your point and largely agree with it but other than locality theres plenty of other reasons for supporting a team, identifying with certain players, hence our growing Japanese and South American fanbase and the clubs style of play and the way it's run.
I did find it amusing at the Middlesbrough FA Cup game to hear some young kids with some quite strong Leeds (I think?) accents in the away end in Brighton shirts.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011

There were too many caveats to add, it would have turned into an essay. I feel all overseas fans are excluded from this, also following a family tradition is fair, as is a little kid with no parental guidance to set them on the correct path (in my case I was Liverpool in the 80s since my family were rugger buggers so I knew no better).

Another exception in my world up here in London is with a lot of my friends and work colleagues who are second or third generations down from immigrant families from non-footballing countries so they suffer from the double whammy of no familial guidance together with the societal pressures that come with being in a minority and the various faces of racism. Growing up most would not have felt safe or welcome attending games back in the 80s and 90s, making it much more tempting to pick a famous team and watch on TV instead, so I tend to be less judgemental with them.

Not you though Mike from Guildford. Not you. You have been to Old Trafford 3 times in 40 years, you are not a football supporter just a plastic, glory hunting, twat of a fan. I don't like Mike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here