[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Disagree, we played well and could have won that game on another day. I do agree that once it came down to penalties the odds were stacked against us.
My fault, I should have expanded; you played well for any other team's standard - compared to your recent very high standard you seemed a little less sharp, but as I previously wrote that was also down to United closing you down effectively and like in many cases in football it's hard to tell which cause contributed more.

As RDZ said before the match, you were here to win it but most importantly you were here to fight for it, and you certainly did that. With the level of tension there was, it felt more like a final.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
3072fac4-1771-475b-b785-5d2ae5f21cb7.png
Didn't have his greatest game today, but then we as a team have played much better this season than we did today. But what a season for Solly and the boys so far! So proud of all the team this season. Onwards and upwards, and hopefully into Europe :albion:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Brilliant performance today, just couldn’t get a clear opportunity to score. A couple of heavy touches from Mitoma and Undav and a missed header from Welbeck away from a win. Mitoma and Mac looked tired, which is a worry for the next 6 days. In hindsight it’s a shame Encisco came off as he is a match winner. At the time he was looking like a risk though, so it made sense. At the end it was small margins in an even match. We had chances to win it in normal time so it’s not down to Solly.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Better team for much of the game just missing that cutting edge in the final third, something we said every week under Potter but not very often under RDZ. Thought Man U defended well but were bang average otherwise and we dealt with whatever they did create, which wasn't much, very well.

I hope they get absolutely thrashed in the final. A result like the Toon one today would make me smile. I won't be watching though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Immensely proud - they gave it their all… Solly didn’t deserve it to be him… but that’s shootouts, pure potluck…

I thought they disrupted our game well and (clearly) were massively up for it on the back of the other night. That all said, we played well in patches and were a flick here, a final ball there away from the Final… yep, to lose vs them in a game like that hurts, but ours was no disgrace.

We have to use this to focus on Europe, we can do it.

Oh, and I believe City will beat them… so they’d better enjoy while they can.

Albion.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the most gutting is we won’t get many better opportunities against an elite club. A team that went out of Europe on Thursday and surely were tiring in extra time. A make shift 2nd choice defence. Just shows we’ve still got a lot to do to become a big club

All about spending and squad strength to get to that level. The big clubs receive £100m’s in commercial income.

I suspect we won’t.

But, I’m more than happy being us.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
My fault, I should have expanded; you played well for any other team's standard - compared to your recent very high standard you seemed a little less sharp, but as I previously wrote that was also down to United closing you down effectively and like in many cases in football it's hard to tell which cause contributed more.

As RDZ said before the match, you were here to win it but most importantly you were here to fight for it, and you certainly did that. With the level of tension there was, it felt more like a final.
Fair enough...but bear in mind these big occasions, playing in front of crowds of 90K, are few and far between for teams of out ILK. it was noticeable that many of our passes didn't find their target and Man u used their speed, quality and fitness to close us down very effectively. That being said I believe we will learn from this and will improve (if we can hold on to our players come summer).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Which United player was it who spoke to March before he took the pen - why did the ref allow it to happen? De Gea in on the act too.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
I was surprised how leggy we were. Mac, Mitoma, not really surprising both having been at the World Cup. You do wonder whether we’ve got the stamina for this gruelling run of back to back fixtures until the end of the season. RDZ will have to be very clever with the rotation and use the younger squad players

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I was surprised how leggy we were. Mac, Mitoma, not really surprising both having been at the World Cup. You do wonder whether we’ve got the stamina for this gruelling run of back to back fixtures until the end of the season. RDZ will have to be very clever with the rotation and use the younger squad players
I’ve been saying this anybody who simply assumes we’ve got a European place in the bag. This fixture congestion is going to be a killer.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Undav f***ing blew it. Players were running on fumes and we had nothing on the bench.

United fans a bunch of classless wankers, screaming in the faces of scarfers and kidsno surprise there.

We played alright but could tell we weren't going to win today. Disappointing all round really.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I’ve been saying this anybody who simply assumes we’ve got a European place in the bag. This fixture congestion is going to be a killer.

I agree. Mitoma has looked leggy for a few games now, I'd be tempted to start some of those who were on the bench today, see if we can give Mitoma, Mac, Caceido some time to rest.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Undav f***ing blew it. Players were running on fumes and we had nothing on the bench.

United fans a bunch of classless wankers, screaming in the faces of scarfers and kidsno surprise there.

We played alright but could tell we weren't going to win today. Disappointing all round really.
Can’t blame Caicedo for running on fumes. The ground he has to cover in midfield because Mac Enciso and Gross aren’t really centre mids. Needs some help! Why not give Gilmour a try with him

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports