[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Commiserations. I watched most of the match and all the penalties. To be fair, as soon as the ref blew the whistle signalling the end of extra time, I was sure it was over for you - and you did much much better than I expected holding on for 6 straight penalties. Penalties come down to the single player's experience and confidence, and United have a more experienced squad than yours. Not surprised March was the one who missed it as it's not unusual to miss for attacking players with extra pressure and extra love for the club. You didn't play well but to be fair United silenced you effectively. Short squad + fatigue caused by this crammed period of the season possibly playing a part.
No offence but coming on here 30 minutes after the final whistle to tell us we didn’t play well doesn’t smack of much emotional intelligence. Please bugger off and come back in a few days when emotions have calmed down.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Immensely proud - they gave it their all… Solly didn’t deserve it to be him… but that’s shootouts, pure potluck…

I thought they disrupted our game well and (clearly) were massively up for it on the back of the other night. That all said, we played well in patches and were a flick here, a final ball there away from the Final… yep, to lose vs them in a game like that hurts, but ours was no disgrace.

We have to use this to focus on Europe, we can do it.

Oh, and I believe City will beat them… so they’d better enjoy while they can.

Albion.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
What frustrates me most about March's penalty miss was that it was so similar to the one v Charlton. Like he learned nothing. I'd be more understanding of it if he had instead tried to place it in the bottom corner and had it saved because he didn't put enough power in it. Doing the exact same thing as the last time he missed is only going to end the same way.
Nothing worse than a pen over the bar, would rather the keep saved it, at least it would have been on target ffs

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Goes back to the striker situation again. I called for Undav to come for Welbeck but both were pony. A decent striker and we would have been the final. Our bench was too weak. Nothing to change the game when tiring. We needed to be at our best to win today and fell short. Mitoma was poor sadly with a couple of others
All that being said, we gave one of the top sides in the league a run for their money (copious amounts). No shame in losing the way we did, it was always going to be a lottery. Fell sorry for Solly but he is one of the reasons we are where we are. I believe we have earned considerable respect on the world stage. Hats off the the team, the management and the owner.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Goes back to the striker situation again. I called for Undav to come for Welbeck but both were pony. A decent striker and we would have been the final. Our bench was too weak. Nothing to change the game when tiring. We needed to be at our best to win today and fell short. Mitoma was poor sadly with a couple of others
Yeah, tend to agree. Hard luck to the lads today. The one thing that we will need to address in the summer is a little more depth. Our bench today looked short of experience and if we qualify for Europe we will need a few more in terms of numbers.

I know we have Adingra, Moder, Sima, Alzate and one or two others to come in, but we are likely to lose Caicedo and MaCallister together with Colwill so it will be interesting to see if RDZ has some influence in who we target this summer.

No criticisms at all, but would just like to see a few more players in the squad with a bit of experience.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Sorry to be boring and fluffy but despite the obvious and understandable disappointment - I have no heart to criticise any of our lads, especially March who played an excellent game - we took a big 6 club to penalties in the SF of the FA Cup and gave them a real run for their mega bucks. We are 7th in the League and I absolutely enjoy watching our team play the style of football that’s developed under RDZ

- well done lads and thank you RDZ for getting us to Wembley just months after taking over - that’s a string in your bow .

EDIT - apologies for error as pointed out by another poster, we are 8th not 7th. Put it down to morphine induced apathy when it came to following league football this weekend 😊

Last edited:

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Commiserations. I watched most of the match and all the penalties. To be fair, as soon as the ref blew the whistle signalling the end of extra time, I was sure it was over for you - and you did much much better than I expected holding on for 6 straight penalties. Penalties come down to the single player's experience and confidence, and United have a more experienced squad than yours. Not surprised March was the one who missed it as it's not unusual to miss for attacking players with extra pressure and extra love for the club. You didn't play well but to be fair United silenced you effectively. Short squad + fatigue caused by this crammed period of the season possibly playing a part.
Disagree, we played well and could have won that game on another day. I do agree that once it came down to penalties the odds were stacked against us.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, tend to agree. Hard luck to the lads today. The one thing that we will need to address in the summer is a little more depth. Our bench today looked short of experience and if we qualify for Europe we will need a few more in terms of numbers.

I know we have Adingra, Moder, Sima, Alzate and one or two others to come in, but we are likely to lose Caicedo and MaCallister together with Colwill so it will be interesting to see if RDZ has some influence in who we target this summer.

No criticisms at all, but would just like to see a few more players in the squad with a bit of experience.
Yep bench was desperate really, hardly any options

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Go away.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Sorry to be boring and fluffy but despite the obvious and understandable disappointment - I have no heart to criticise any of our lads, especially March who played an excellent game - we took a big 6 club to penalties in the SF of the FA Cup and gave them a real run for their mega bucks. We are 7th in the League and I absolutely enjoy watching our team play the style of football that’s developed under RDZ

- well done lads and thank you RDZ for getting us to Wembley just months after taking over - that’s a string in your bow .
We are 8th in the league but whose counting

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
3072fac4-1771-475b-b785-5d2ae5f21cb7.png

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
A players valuation doesn't impact the players willingness to take a penalty in the slightest.
Totally agree. Nor does their valuation affect their ability to take a penalty. He can’t save shots as well as Sanchez either. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a world class player.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
The Ferguson injury imho was telling.

Coming on for Welbeck would’ve worked a treat.

Lindelof, Dalot were there for the taking.

Undav, crikey, looked a rabbit in the headlines. Palpably thinking for a second, before making runs instinctively.
Totally agree. undav needs binning off on loan at the end of the season

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Totally agree. Nor does their valuation affect their ability to take a penalty. He can’t save shots as well as Sanchez either. Doesn’t mean he isn’t a world class player.
I don't think I said he wasn't a world class player. Apologies, I don't understand your point.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's not Solly's fault. We didn't play well enough, sadly. If we'd played even 75% as well as we have been, and if we hadn't had the recent injuries, we'd have won that in the first 30 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports