Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Luton Town *** Official Match Thread ***

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just thought I'd shove this here.
People kept telling me the Southampton v Norwich score 2:3, 3:3 and as leaving, SSN on the TV showed 3:4. I even mentioned that they'd be the first match on MotD that evening when someone pointed out they are in the Championship. I'd completely forgotten.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Respectfully disagree, from where I was the first half felt relatively even.

They attacked well at times, put crosses into the box but lacked a pure finisher (like many teams). They were physical but never overawed.

Where they struggled was when they started to run out of legs / the quality of the substitutes bought on midway through the 2nd half.

So the 4-1 scoreline was both flattering to Brighton, yet also could have been more.

The difficulty for the promoted teams seems to be their clinical nature. Similarly, Burnley played well in the first half, were arguably the better side, yet still went in 2-0 down.

Based on their performance in the first half today, it wouldn't be surprising to me to see Luton stay up if they can create a close knit team without many injuries like Sheff Utd in their debut season a few years ago. However, equally if they cant put away chances or have a couple of injuries they could fall like a stone.
How could 4-1 be flattering,
we had something like 27 shots
hit the woodwork 3 times
had 71% possession
I can’t remember Steele making more than one save
I thought Luton were poor

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
from where I was the first half felt relatively even.

When Brighton came up to the PL, we didn't even have a go against decent teams. We sat back and hoped to keep a clean sheet and maybe nick a goal somehow. Luton weren't like that, they had a go. They looked dangerous on the attack a few times, with Kabore putting in the odd cross that no one could convert. But they looked vulnerable at the back and I thought we were easily the better team in the first half.

They attacked well at times, put crosses into the box but lacked a pure finisher (like many teams). They were physical but never overawed.

Where they struggled was when they started to run out of legs / the quality of the substitutes bought on midway through the 2nd half.

I agree with that.

So the 4-1 scoreline was both flattering to Brighton, yet also could have been more.

and disagree with that.

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Respectfully disagree, from where I was the first half felt relatively even.

The difficulty for the promoted teams seems to be their clinical nature. Similarly, Burnley played well in the first half, were arguably the better side, yet still went in 2-0 down.

Based on their performance in the first half today, it wouldn't be surprising to me to see Luton stay up if they can create a close knit team without many injuries like Sheff Utd in their debut season a few years ago. However, equally if they cant put away chances or have a couple of injuries they could fall like a stone.
I respectfully disagree from where in the stadium I was watching, thought luton where one of the poorest teams I’ve seen in a long while 4-1 didn’t flatter us should of been 6/7

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
You don't go via StubHub to use the exchange ??? The exchange is the official route ... anything else isn't!
That's not what he's said though is it.

He's said his son put it on the exchange. The person next to him bought it off StubHub. Figure out the rest, it's quite easy.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
When Brighton came up to the PL, we didn't even have a go against decent teams. We sat back and hoped to keep a clean sheet and maybe nick a goal somehow. Luton weren't like that, they had a go. They looked dangerous on the attack a few times, with Kabore putting in the odd cross that no one could convert. But they looked vulnerable at the back and I thought we were easily the better team in the first half.
There's often a team who come up and have a go and all the pundits wax lyrical about how positive they are and great to watch.
It seems to take until about mid December for it to register with them that they're consistently being thrashed and stand no chance whatsoever of staying up.
Norwich and Fulham seemed to have agreed to play that role on alternate seasons for a few years.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Been thinking a lot about the bench. We've already seen added time of ten minutes plus in the FIRST half. Not sure how long players will take to get used to playing twenty minutes extra a game, maybe they won't. Having such attacking options off this bench this season could really give us a huge edge over order teams. Had injury time been longer you imagine we would have scored at least another goal.
I think in the league we are really going to see those teams with genuine pace and attacking quality on the bench doing a lot better than the rest.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Lots of positives despite not playing that well.

Pedro looks a player.

Milner looks a far more astute signing than I originally gave credit for. I assumed he would play a bit part and his influence would be around the training ground but it seems he's going to a a lot and provide a lot of help and experience there too.

4 goals, four different scorers and we could easily have had a lot more.

Our bench is strong. Very strong when all are fit.

One or two things worried me but not enough to complain yet. I'm fairly confident everything will be sorted by the close of the window.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Been thinking a lot about the bench. We've already seen added time of ten minutes plus in the FIRST half. Not sure how long players will take to get used to playing twenty minutes extra a game, maybe they won't. Having such attacking options off this bench this season could really give us a huge edge over order teams. Had injury time been longer you imagine we would have scored at least another goal.
I think in the league we are really going to see those teams with genuine pace and attacking quality on the bench doing a lot better than the rest.
Agree when we allow the toddlers out for runabout on the grass we suddenly become a different proposition for tired defenders.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
That's not what he's said though is it.

He's said his son put it on the exchange. The person next to him bought it off StubHub. Figure out the rest, it's quite easy.
How about before you start sounding off at me you read the other posts where I acknowledged I'd misread the original post ... and I wasn't the only one!!

Maybe then you'd have figured it out ... it's quite easy!! FFS!!

Screenshot 2023-08-13 at 13.40.28.png

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It was only watching the highlights that I appreciated how good our first goal was. What a ball in.

Pascal is unlikely to have that much fun again this season.

I loved our fourth goal. Great vision from Dunk, amazing late pace from Perv and an evil delivery in to the danger zone.

Pedro is going to be a star.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If pedro finishes that chance in the first it would have been a cricket score and wellbeck could have had a hat trick by half time so not sure what game you were watching. Apart from a gift of a penalty from someone blasting the ball at dunk from close range I never felt they offered any attacking danger and frequently gave the ball away cheaply in key areas. There is zero chance that squad is staying up playing that quality of football as I said the game had the feel of the Grimsby one and that was very telling.
two headers, one hit Steele on the line and one the bloke could not connect but basically had an open goal. Couple of very dangerous crosses but no one quite near enough.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Well we didn’t look very sharp yet we won 4-1 ….but we could and should have had at least 7 or 8!

ok it was only Luton and they will struggle ( although they could have had a couple) this season, but what a set of replacements. Milner is bloody excellent singing, pedro looks class and van hecke was IMMENSE!

let’s not get carried away but I think the quadruple is definitely on!
I bet you have turned out some days not looking too sharp... I certainly have.

shibainu

Mar 9, 2023
Japan

Explains how the movements of Albion players create chances (Mitoma-focused view). Captions are in Japanese, but arrows are provided to show how they organize each other, so I think you can enjoy without understanding the language.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here