Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Luton Town *** Official Match Thread ***

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's Game of the Day on Sky Sports, starting in a minute in case anyone's interested...

Fergus the Schnoodle

Aug 12, 2023
You could see Dahoud is class. Some of the turns, passes and tackles were top draw.

I thought Luton gave a good account of themselves in the first half, bouyed by their first game in the PL etc.. but our class shone through and we kept on grinding them down and they faded in the last 15 mins which our fresh legs took advantage of.

Great start to the season.

Mate of mine is a big Dortmund fan - says Dahoud is a bit of a show pony, very inconsistent and had a habit of disappearing in big games. Hopefully DZ gets the best out of him.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Very professional performance and without really clicking saw the game out. As for Luton I thought that was one of the poorest promoted sides I have seen in the PL in terms of quality or perhaps showing the increasing gulf between PL and championship. In many ways the game today reminded me of the cup game against Grimsby.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Very professional performance and without really clicking saw the game out. As for Luton I thought that was one of the poorest promoted sides I have seen in the PL in terms of quality or perhaps showing the increasing gulf between PL and championship. In many ways the game today reminded me of the cup game against Grimsby.
We were utter bobbins against Leicester when we went up in our second game. I would say worse than Luton today. Nothing changes really they need to adjust to the speed of the game and try and win at home.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
As for Luton I thought that was one of the poorest promoted sides I have seen in the PL in terms of quality or perhaps showing the increasing gulf between PL and championship. In many ways the game today reminded me of the cup game against Grimsby.
Burnley and Sheff Utd were miles ahead of every other club in the Championship last season. WBA, Watford and Norwich seriously f*cked-up their seasons. Luton were promoted by pure chance - before Christmas they were bottom half having won only 2 of the 11 home games - then at the end of January they went on a run 11W - 8D - 1L

In the play-offs Sunderland ran rings around them in the 1st leg and only came away with a 2-1 win. In the second leg Luton repeatedly pumped high balls into the box and Sunderland couldn't handle them.

The play-off final was between two poor teams and was decided on penalties.

Since then they brought in Ogbene and Barkley as free agents, Andersen for £3m, Chong for £4m, Nakamba (who was at Luton on loan last season) £3.75m, Giles £5m, Kaminski £2.5m, Brown unknown but probably something around £2m (their new striker who scored 7 goals for Stoke last season) and brought in a kid from Man City on loan.

So Luton have invested £20m in trying to stay in the PL - in contrast Forest (who had a better squad) spent £165m to try and stay in the PL last season.

By the way - Luton are probably not the worst off of the promoted teams - Sheff Utd sold two of their best players from last season - Ndiaye to Marseille for £20m and Berge to Burnley for £12m. They have signed Slimane for £2m, Traore for £4m, Trusty for £5m, and their two big splashes Souza £12m, and Hamer £15m. They also have brought a kid in from a French Second division club on loan. Net outlay by Sheff Utd - £6m.

It is clear that both these clubs are intent on keeping the money tight - expect to get relegated and pocket the roughly £170m that promotion gets from being in the PL and then parachute payments. I can understand it in the case of Luton - they could build a new ground with the money - but Sheff Utd were in the PL a couple of years ago and finished 9th in 2020.

May 1, 2023
Respectfully disagree, from where I was the first half felt relatively even.

They attacked well at times, put crosses into the box but lacked a pure finisher (like many teams). They were physical but never overawed.

Where they struggled was when they started to run out of legs / the quality of the substitutes bought on midway through the 2nd half.

So the 4-1 scoreline was both flattering to Brighton, yet also could have been more.

The difficulty for the promoted teams seems to be their clinical nature. Similarly, Burnley played well in the first half, were arguably the better side, yet still went in 2-0 down.

Based on their performance in the first half today, it wouldn't be surprising to me to see Luton stay up if they can create a close knit team without many injuries like Sheff Utd in their debut season a few years ago. However, equally if they cant put away chances or have a couple of injuries they could fall like a stone.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Respectfully disagree, from where I was the first half felt relatively even.

They attacked well at times, put crosses into the box but lacked a pure finisher (like many teams). They were physical but never overawed.

Where they struggled was when they started to run out of legs / the quality of the substitutes bought on midway through the 2nd half.

So the 4-1 scoreline was both flattering to Brighton, yet also could have been more.

The difficulty for the promoted teams seems to be their clinical nature. Similarly, Burnley played well in the first half, were arguably the better side, yet still went in 2-0 down.

Based on their performance in the first half today, it wouldn't be surprising to me to see Luton stay up if they can create a close knit team without many injuries like Sheff Utd in their debut season a few years ago. However, equally if they cant put away chances or have a couple of injuries they could fall like a stone.
If pedro finishes that chance in the first it would have been a cricket score and wellbeck could have had a hat trick by half time so not sure what game you were watching. Apart from a gift of a penalty from someone blasting the ball at dunk from close range I never felt they offered any attacking danger and frequently gave the ball away cheaply in key areas. There is zero chance that squad is staying up playing that quality of football as I said the game had the feel of the Grimsby one and that was very telling.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday. Wonderful start to the season, Luton fans were abundant and good value, enjoyed chatting to a few. Bumped into old friends and good to see everyone. Park and ride worked well. Wasn’t in a rush, even enjoyed watching the players leave and guessing who was driving what. Those Japs in their thousands love their boy don’t they? Huge queues waiting for him post match, not seen before. All rather cute really!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I thought we went up a notch as soon as Billy Gilmour entered the fray. We have to find a way of squeezing him into the midfield.
Agreed but I imagine they looked at Luton and assumed it was going to be pretty physical so are choosing his opponents accordingly. He is a joy to watch imho.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday. Wonderful start to the season, Luton fans were abundant and good value, enjoyed chatting to a few. Bumped into old friends and good to see everyone. Park and ride worked well. Wasn’t in a rush, even enjoyed watching the players leave and guessing who was driving what. Those Japs in their thousands love their boy don’t they? Huge queues waiting for him post match, not seen before. All rather cute really!

Couple of early 20s (?) Japanese girls in front of us in the NW corner who got all excited when Mitoma would get the ball and do some fancy footwork and went mad when we scored.

They really got going for Freed From Desire.

All added to the atmosphere, not just tourists.

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
First 20 mins or so Dahoud too slow and not agressive enough..Chong had the making of him. After that MD seemed to drop deeper for the ball giving him more time and space and improved..but clearly lacks match fitness still. Pedro positionally all over place in first half and needs to get his head up on the ball. Better in second half and thought promising signs of an understanding with Mitoma started to show. The way he runs with the ball into the box should lead to plenty of pen shouts. Dunk and March rusty..JPvH solid..Gross, Estupinan and Milner excellent.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Couple of early 20s (?) Japanese girls in front of us in the NW corner who got all excited when Mitoma would get the ball and do some fancy footwork and went mad when we scored.

They really got going for Freed From Desire.

All added to the atmosphere, not just tourists.
Screaming girls…sounds like hell! But yes, all welcome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here