Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Fulham *** Official Match Thread ***

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ironically, it was the constant criticism and analysis in slow motion of referees' mistakes by leading pundits on Match of the Day like Lineker and Shearer that was a major factor in gettng VAR in the first place.

Thou shall indeed reap what thou shalt sow!
Sometimes we forget that pundits are simply talking heads, playing out what they imagine may be going through what passes as the minds of the people.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm still really disappointed with this result, nearly a day on. It was bitterly disappointing not to get a second goal when we were on top and currently I really think we're not playing particularly well. We've had a really difficult run of fixtures without any question or shadow of doubt but although we're scoring in every game we're not playing with the fluency we did last season. I think all of the changes to the team are responsible for that, a lot of which isn't the fault of RDZ but the constantly changing the defence is at best contributing to the current struggles.
Similarly disappointed, but have to say that I think the team are improving.
There has been a clear switch from "score more than we concede" , to "Get ahead and control the game" over the last 2 games.

I suspect this is because we aren't making as many mistakes in the first half, as the new players get more attuned to DeZerbiball.
We are on the right track and progress is being made.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Palhinha was one of Opta's top 5 players of the week,.

Opta top 5 MW10

Once he leaves in January, they are going to really struggle
Since he arrived (for £15m), 'Chipstick' has usually been our best player every game. His tackling, interceptions and occasional goals are colossal. . He picked up 14 yellows last season, many of which (Inc Lamptey in the corresponding game) were unjustified- he often comes sliding in from behind, nicks the ball and the opponent falls over.
You are right - we will struggle without him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sometimes we forget that pundits are simply talking heads, playing out what they imagine may be going through what passes as the minds of the people.
No, I think it's what goes through the minds of the pundits - but their constant carping about refereeing decisons did up the pressure to bring in VAR. Not them solely, of course, but a not inconsiderable factor.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, I think it's what goes through the minds of the pundits - but their constant carping about refereeing decisons did up the pressure to bring in VAR. Not them solely, of course, but a not inconsiderable factor.
In which case, I would salute them for their contribution to progress.

But by definition a pundit is a commentator rather than a campaigner, surely?

"an expert in a particular subject or field who is frequently called upon to give their opinions to the public"

Hang on: "an....." - let me stop you there:

And it gets even sillier:

"The word “pundit” has an interesting history that sheds more light into its contemporary meaning. It originally referred to someone who was erudite, conducted religious ceremonies, and offered counsel to a king or mayor. The term comes from the Hindi word “pandit,” which was derived from the Sanskrit “pandita,” meaning “a learned man or scholar”"

On the other hand, a Shearer is "a skilled worker who shears the wool off of sheep or other animals"
A Sutton is a homestead
A Linaker isn't anything at all.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
"The word “pundit” has an interesting history that sheds more light into its contemporary meaning. It originally referred to someone who was erudite, conducted religious ceremonies, and offered counsel to a king or mayor. The term comes from the Hindi word “pandit,” which was derived from the Sanskrit “pandita,” meaning “a learned man or scholar”"

On the other hand, a Shearer is "a skilled worker who shears the wool off of sheep or other animals"
A Sutton is a homestead
A Linaker isn't anything at all.
..... and a Merson is....?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm still really disappointed with this result, nearly a day on. It was bitterly disappointing not to get a second goal when we were on top and currently I really think we're not playing particularly well. We've had a really difficult run of fixtures without any question or shadow of doubt but although we're scoring in every game we're not playing with the fluency we did last season. I think all of the changes to the team are responsible for that, a lot of which isn't the fault of RDZ but the constantly changing the defence is at best contributing to the current struggles.
That's the only area where I question the high level of changes between games.

In most positions I get it but switching your centre backs pretty much EVERY game seems a bit much to me.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
That Brighton team must be a load of dirty foulers to do all this damage....
1698692973906.png

1698692747271.png

1698692816121.png

1698692837770.png

1698692851668.png

1698692874914.png

Attachments

• 1698692786669.png
    1698692786669.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 26

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That's the only area where I question the high level of changes between games.

In most positions I get it but switching your centre backs pretty much EVERY game seems a bit much to me.
I'm convinced DeZerbi believes this is the best way of getting all 25 players able to play to the level required.
Seems a bit mental right now, but suspect it will start to pay dividends from December onwards.
We are starting to make fewer errors in comparison to the first 4 or 5 games.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I'm convinced DeZerbi believes this is the best way of getting all 25 players able to play to the level required.
Seems a bit mental right now, but suspect it will start to pay dividends from December onwards.
We are starting to make fewer errors in comparison to the first 4 or 5 games.
He is brave, just as he wishes his team to be. Very exciting times. We need to enjoy the moments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here