Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Fulham *** Official Match Thread ***

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I agree that ref's can't book a player for faking an injury but by making every player that causes a stop in play to go off the field then that would reduce the incentive to fake an injury.
I agree, they should do this.

It is the only sensible option

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Done to death never will work.

Certainly for head injuries there should be an appointed doctor who attends the poor soul. He then is removed from the pitch (ALWAYS) for a proper assessment. A temporary sub can come on 1 minute after the restart. If VAR proves no contact the player is sent off for chcheating.
I like the idea but it still stops the game and potentially penalises (in today's case Gross - who wasn't actually hurt in this instance but was on the receiving end of a forearm smash) the victim. I don't see why the physio coming on during play is an issue. If it's a head injury they can come straight on, if not then they have to run round the pitch and come on at the shortest point. If the injury is deemed serious such as an ACL or a break or concussion then the ref can then stop the game. I'm not blind to a few potential downsides but it has to be worth trying.
Ultimately if the sodding players would stop cheating then this wouldn't be an issue.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
People can be injured without being touched by another player, you can jar a back/neck by falling etc etc

It is unworkable and suggesting giving refs/var the responsibility to decide injuries, is as I said a complete nonsense.
It would be relatively easy to review each game and look at what's happening i.e. team A has 8 players go down this week, funny they had 6 last week and 7 week before. Average for the league is 3... Ref or indeed FA speak to club and advice them that they seem to have a problem then measure again.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
More VAR, you say? ???

In fact, I agree with that. I like VAR, and am hoping that eventually the wankaz overseeing it will learn how to do it properly.

However a ref cannot let play go on when a player is acting as if injured. especially a head injury. The ref has an obligation to oversee health and safety on the pitch.

The issue is what type of injury. When their keeper went down with cramp - half way to the half way line, the ref should have let play go on. When our player went down with a head injury (possibly) he let play go on and they scored. That was complete madness, and makes a mockery of the seriousness of the game.

Still, I can't complain about the result, Better than last year's so those who are suggesting we are going backwards might perhaps give their heads a wobble, whoever they are.
But VAR could advise whether there was actual contact and individual could be sent off for bringing the game into disrepute.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Done to death never will work.

Certainly for head injuries there should be an appointed doctor who attends the poor soul. He then is removed from the pitch (ALWAYS) for a proper assessment. A temporary sub can come on 1 minute after the restart. If VAR proves no contact the player is sent off for cheating.
Totally agree.... VAR could actually correct a lot more errors ...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I like the idea but it still stops the game and potentially penalises (in today's case Gross - who wasn't actually hurt in this instance but was on the receiving end of a forearm smash) the victim. I don't see why the physio coming on during play is an issue. If it's a head injury they can come straight on, if not then they have to run round the pitch and come on at the shortest point. If the injury is deemed serious such as an ACL or a break or concussion then the ref can then stop the game. I'm not blind to a few potential downsides but it has to be worth trying.
Ultimately if the sodding players would stop cheating then this wouldn't be an issue.
Players down in the area ball hits physio goes in what happens?

Never will work simple as that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It would be relatively easy to review each game and look at what's happening i.e. team A has 8 players go down this week, funny they had 6 last week and 7 week before. Average for the league is 3... Ref or indeed FA speak to club and advice them that they seem to have a problem then measure again.
Nice idea in principle, but the club would just say the players got knocks etc.

It goes back to the point you can not prove if a player is injured, if player welfare is at risk at all they open themselves up to being sued

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
First half was good, but not great. We were in control of the game and dictated the flow of play, without creating too many clear openings. Ferguson took his only decent chance in the game and we went ahead deservedly 1-0.

Second half Fulham came at us a lot more, but we refused to quicken up play and we’re caught out over playing it when they were pressing us high up. Equaliser came at a time when we needed to up the intensity and as has been mentioned many times on here Fulham’s constant diving, cheating and time wasting completely spoiled the game and killed our momentum.

A frustrating game, but on another day if we’d have got that second goal like we did against Ajax they would’ve faded and we’d have won comfortably.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Nice idea in principle, but the club would just say the players got knocks etc.

It goes back to the point you can not prove if a player is injured, if player welfare is at risk at all they open themselves up to being sued
Do you need to prove it FA just say to club its been noticed and maybe they club need to review what they do at the club. If players are then just getting up and running off then they clearly did not need to be on the floor. That includes Buonanotte....

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Do you need to prove it FA just say to club its been noticed and maybe they club need to review what they do at the club. If players are then just getting up and running off then they clearly did not need to be on the floor. That includes Buonanotte....
What would be the point of the FA saying we have noticed?

The club would just reply, thanks, and?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Players down in the area ball hits physio goes in what happens?

Never will work simple as that.
He becomes part of the play so goal would stand. Obviously severe sanctions if the physio made any attempt to make himself bigger or get involved in the play. Ultimately the aim would be that players just wouldn't feign injury so much. As I said I do see the flaws. To be honest, I'd be happy for them to trial anything - your idea is fine but the current set up is awful.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He becomes part of the play so goal would stand. Obviously severe sanctions if the physio made any attempt to make himself bigger or get involved in the play. Ultimately the aim would be that players just wouldn't feign injury so much. As I said I do see the flaws. To be honest, I'd be happy for them to trial anything - your idea is fine but the current set up is awful.
Sorry but utter madness.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But VAR could advise whether there was actual contact and individual could be sent off for bringing the game into disrepute.
Yes indeed.

Albeit if it is about stopping the game, would VAR have saved Erikson had the other players decided to play on? VAR would have ruled 'no contact'.

Unfortunately I suspect the best we can hope for is if a player (or a concerned team mate) wants the game stopped then the player recovers Lazarus-like, they should be sent of for cheating (or sin binned for 10 minutes, whatever), not given the warm handshake and pat on the head they get now.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not seen any replays or interviews, nor read any of this thread . . . . Only just sat down post match . . . . . From a good vantage point, and I'm sure any view in the ground, our performance was good, all things considered, although that is irrelevant. Yet again a spineless puppet excuse for a referee ruins the whole game. The standard of officials is so bad it's now spoiling the enjoyment of the game.

I do honestly think its corruption, cheating is so rife in the PL how can it be anything else?

I don't like egg chasing, but we watched the 2nd half of a game that was on TV last night, the standard of the officials,and respect from the players was perfect. Everything was crystal clear for all to see and hear.

Football is currently corrupt and morally bankrupt.

FWLIW, we've had a tough, but great week, and Fulham were good for the point until 5 minutes after they equalised . . .thereafter, the refs inability let them do a Villa and the rest is history.

Paddington Gal

May 7, 2013
Well that was a very very hard watch. Palhinha's challenge was red all day and we were on the other side of the pitch! It got redder the more the ref stopped the game for subsequent similar injuries which Fulham feigned. Having watched the Rugby World Cup final last night, where the official (and 4th official) were clear, consise, and heard by everyone (and all the spectators) and the ref was respected by everyone on the pitch, todays officiating and Fulhams behaviour was embarrassingly disgraceful in comparison. The PGMOL are incompetent, and unable to field officals both on and off the pitch to the standard needed. Frankly they should be disbanded and we need to start again with an officiating organisation who can provide consistent and competent officiating like the rugby (can't believe I just said that). Officials need to be on speaker, and players must be unable to talk back, and sent off if they do, and sent off when they cheat. That now has to be in the rules, as its clear there are sportspeople who cannot respect the rules of the game or the officials. Even the 4th offical at the Rugby would have at least called Palhinha back for a foul, although it was red all day. In the second half, we fell apart as Fulham feigned injury and fell over each and every time we got a head of steam up and looked dangerous. Eventually we couldn't hack it and played like 12 year old school kids. Teams have found our style of play out now, and just push us back up the pitch, which we seem to want them to do, but can't go any further with the play, we seem to flounder about in mid field for a while, we try a few attacks down the middle, but then get stuck and waffle about. We need to be careful we are not one trick wonders with this style of play. Baleba looked good, and Adingra too, don't know what we would do without Dunk sometimes. Finally to the dickheads who didn't keep their ticket to get their umbrellas back, you are also an embarrassment. Berating a young woman working there who wouldn't let you just take any umbrella as you'd lost your ticket is just pathetic. She is someones daughter, working a Sunday so you can watch your beloved sport. Fools and wankers walk amongst us.
Watch match of the day tonight and the incident between Pickford and Kudus. Kudus went down like a ton of bricks, rolling around playing dead. Pickford went over to him and told him (I assume- Get up you cheating ****) From lying face down Kudus jumped up as though someone had put a rocket up his arse to confront Pickford. Very strong handbags followed and Kudus tried to sneak away, up the other end of the pitch. Both players were rightfully booked for the handbags but I believe Kudus should have received another yellow for feigning injury.

If the referee's got to grips with this behaviour, even retrospectively, I am certain it would not take long to wipe this behaviour out of our game.
Also call the culprit out as a cheat. That is what they are.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
I agree that ref's can't book a player for faking an injury but by making every player that causes a stop in play to go off the field then that would reduce the incentive to fake an injury.
I respectfully beg to differ. As I understood pre-season, PGMOL gave a directive to refs to book players for feigning injuries, ie time-wasting ? Could be wrong, but the ref today was conned several times, the more it went on, the more Fulham did it......how can a 'keeper suddenly develop cramp, for instance ?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I respectfully beg to differ. As I understood pre-season, PGMOL gave a directive to refs to book players for feigning injuries, ie time-wasting ? Could be wrong, but the ref today was conned several times, the more it went on, the more Fulham did it......how can a 'keeper suddenly develop cramp, for instance ?
He can only book a player if he is certain they are feigning injury and today I doubt there was one case where he could definitely say that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here