Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Bristol City *** Official Match Thread ***

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I have a friend who is a City fan and he is really confident they can pull off a win. Says City have under-achieved so far but starting to look a cohesive unit and the confidence is starting to build. This looks a very tough game for Albion, made a little tougher by the absence of the wingmen.

With regard to Calderon's inclusion, PLEASE NO! Any system will be a makeshift one, so nothing ideal. However, if we ignore Manu, I'd rather we accommodate Crofts or Ince somehow in our starting line-up than fall back on Calderon. He's looking increasingly sluggish and out of his depth at this level. Age has clearly caught up with him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That m.d that writes on that site makes a few clueless comments about us, even says we are slow starters.

Reminds me abit of the year we got out of league one everyone thought we would soon drop of the pace and we are not all that.
Is it the same MD who has posted on here ? Seems to be a Bristol City fan who goes to the AMEX ?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Their fans seem remarkably confident for a team that has two wins all season, playing an undefeated team that have only dropped two points at home so far.

I guess it would be typical if we were to slip up on this one, but then I've been thinking that before the last 6 or 7 games..

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I wouldn't be averse to Calderon playing right wing as Bruno has flourished with Roseniors more measured positioning - something Calderon also offers. Having said that I'd much rather see Manu playing; basically if he's not picked as 5th choice winger ('behind' KLL, Murphy, Rosenior & March) then you'd have to wonder what he's doing here.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Had a quick look on their forum, couple of interesting posts

"Bong is ok at left back, Kayal and Stephens are both good champ midfielders but not spectacular, solid side to be fair.."

Really underestimates Kayal and Stephens, who as a partnership ARE ( close to ) spectacular at Championship level.

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
I think that CH will find it hard to move away from his preferred formation, but if Rosenior is injured this is the team I would expect to see:

4-3-3 with Stephens sitting, poss Hemed up front, but think he may give BZ a run...need a hold-up player in a 4-3-3

Stockdale
Bruno-BFG=Dunk-Bong
Crofts-Stephens-Kayal
Baldock-Zamora-March

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think that CH will find it hard to move away from his preferred formation, but if Rosenior is injured this is the team I would expect to see:

4-3-3 with Stephens sitting, poss Hemed up front, but think he may give BZ a run...need a hold-up player in a 4-3-3

Stockdale
Bruno-BFG=Dunk-Bong
Crofts-Stephens-Kayal
Baldock-Zamora-March
That's exactly the 11 we finished with on Saturday, so it wouldn't be a bad call given that the last 30 mins was easily our best period.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Argus says that Greer (knee) and Rosenior (dead leg) are both major doubts.

With Kaz still injured and Murphy suspended, will Manu make his first start?

Also, if Greer's out that means Goldson will be in the squad for the first time.

Our luck continues. Maybe Rohan Ince will start?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Stockdale
Bruno-BFG=Dunk-Bong
Crofts-Stephens-Kayal
Baldock-Zamora-March
I suppose CH might be tempted to go to 433 - especially if Brizzle are expecting to play against a 442 set up. 433 might be a good way to deal with them playing three at the back too. The midfield three pick themselves - and all three are capable of rampaging forward when appropriate.
Hemed up front, with Solly wide right and Baldock on the left (he might not like playing there, but he did a pretty good job of it before he was injured last season).

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I watched Brizzle's game on Sky against Forest last Friday.

First thing to say is, they will not come and park the bus. They have only failed to score twice in 12 games and they play 2 up top, including our old friend Wilbraham who scored both goals against Forest in the first dozen minutes.

Second, they play 3 big, uncompromising centre-backs. Assuming Bobby doesn't start, we will get little in the air. But, there will be space down the flanks and if we pass it like we did against Cardiff we can pass around them and create plenty of chances.

Elliot Bennett was excellent on his debut, at right wing back and we should not underestimate his athleticism and crossing ability. They also have a left-footed midfield playmaker, Luke Freeman, who ran games for them last year and provides good quality on set plays.

It should be a decent game, but I fancy us to open them up and get 2 or 3 goals to their solitary reply.

PG

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I have a bad feeling about this one.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Also ignores the fact that King Kayal is the best player in the league.
This. Hoping for another barnstormer from him tonight.

Loving the fact that Bristol City (whoooo?) are so confident about coming to The Amex on the basis that although we are unbeaten and at least 4 points clear of Middlesbrough, Derby, Reading, Burnley and Hull... we aren't really that good and have only tended to scrape our results this year. :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They play with two out and out wingers but with March on the right (Left footed) and with Lua Lua out they will go with Rosenoir on the left of midfield so they both cut inside.
So he thinks we'll have Rosenior on the left and March on the right? Ok.

on a roll and getting results, the Leeds win was the first win in four.
I see.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton

Loving the fact that Bristol City (whoooo?) are so confident about coming to The Amex on the basis that although we are unbeaten and at least 4 points clear of Middlesbrough, Derby, Reading, Burnley and Hull... we aren't really that good and have only tended to scrape our results this year. :)

Is that really what BC are saying?

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Goldson can play at right back. I'd imagine he's 'match fit', as been playing with the U21's and the first few games with Shrewsbury.

Potentially Goldson right back and Bruno right midfield? Not necessarily what i'd go with, but something that's been overlooked....

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're pretty good, they aren't bad.

Probably a draw.

1-1

:)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I know. I am absolutely astounded at the over-confidence coming out of Bristol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here