Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Bristol City *** Official Match Thread ***

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
[FamousLastWords]

Well I'm excited. If we create anything like the number of chances we created last time out at the Amex then we should get a result.

[\FamousLastWords]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Was Murphy's ban increased because we appealed it ?

3 matches seems harsh.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Kaz is still injured we are down to 16 available outfield players - bare bones - and we'll see Goldson and Holla on the bench.

At least Murphy is back for Preston, and hopefully Kaz, Greer, and Rosenior will be back soon.

A yellow for Bong or Kayal will mean a suspension, though.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Was Murphy's ban increased because we appealed it ?

3 matches seems harsh.

No, 3 matches is standard for serious foul play. Apparently the club had the option to either challenge the ban entirely, or challenge the length, and they went with challenging it in its entirety. Which seems weird, because I swear that when Arsenal appealed the red card v Chelsea it was the first example of them being allowed to challenge both ways. Perhaps that's just the premier league, and not the FA in general.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Guessing the team will be something along the lines of

Stockdale

Bruno
Dunk
Uwe
Bong

Calde
Kayal
Stephens
March

Baldock
Hemed

Subs: Mäenpää, Goldson, Ince, Manu, Crofts, Zamora, Holla

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Reports suggest that we'll have 3 wingers unavailable tonight: Murphy, KLL and Rosenior. If Elvis doesn't get in the starting 11 tonight, then it indicates that something is not quite right with him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I wonder if we are being very cautious with Rosenior, to make sure he is definately available for Preston in case Bong picks up a yellow card ?

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Guessing the team will be something along the lines of

Stockdale

Bruno
Dunk
Uwe
Bong

Calde
Kayal
Stephens
March

Baldock
Hemed

Subs: Mäenpää, Goldson, Ince, Manu, Crofts, Zamora, Holla

That looks about right, but I wonder if Hughton might be tempted to start with Zamora and put Baldock on the wing instead of Calde, with either him or Manu coming on later when Zamora runs out of gas?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Reports suggest that we'll have 3 wingers unavailable tonight: Murphy, KLL and Rosenior. If Elvis doesn't get in the starting 11 tonight, then it indicates that something is not quite right with him.
As I understand, Elvis played most of his football in Holland as a forward/attacking winger. In a 4-4-2 system, Hughton seems to like wingers who will put a shift in both offensively and defensively. I've no doubt from Hughton's comments that he rates him but thinking back to KLL's early days when he was poor/lazy at tracking back, it could well be something that he has to learn before he will start games for us.
That looks about right, but I wonder if Hughton might be tempted to start with Zamora and put Baldock on the wing instead of Calde, with either him or Manu coming on later when Zamora runs out of gas?

Good shout, you would hope Bobby is getting to the stage where he can play 60-70 minutes at full speed.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Reading the Argus scouting report it seems Brizzle play three at the back with the wingback pushed up the field. I am hoping this means there will be some space behind the wingbacks for the likes of Baldock to exploit. That set up seems to suit his styling of running into space and we do like to play the odd ball over the top, Bong and Bruno could be crucial.

That said I think Bristol City are a far better team than their league position suggests, I too am very nervous about tonight's game.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Had a quick look on their forum, couple of interesting posts

"Ive seen a few of Brightons games this season, Baldock plays up front along with Hemed. They play with two out and out wingers but with March on the right (Left footed) and with Lua Lua out they will go with Rosenoir on the left of midfield so they both cut inside.

Not the best side in the Championship by a long way but on a roll and getting results, the Leeds win was the first win in four. Bong is ok at left back, Kayal and Stephens are both good champ midfielders but not spectacular, solid side to be fair..

The Amex is a quiet place, 20K season ticket holders but a lot of them are there to watch football and not Brighton fans, a draw would be a great result and not unachievable IMO"

"Looking at some highlights, they look particularly poor at defending set pieces. If Freeman can get his deliveries right, we could get a couple from free kicks/corners. Don't rate them at all (thats been and done it) and we are more than capable of winning down there."

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
"Looking at some highlights, they look particularly poor at defending set pieces. If Freeman can get his deliveries right, we could get a couple from free kicks/corners. Don't rate them at all (thats been and done it) and we are more than capable of winning down there."

Seems a fair judgement considering all those games we've lost this season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

"Ive seen a few of Brightons games this season, Baldock plays up front along with Hemed. They play with two out and out wingers but with March on the right (Left footed) and with Lua Lua out they will go with Rosenoir on the left of midfield so they both cut inside.

Not the best side in the Championship by a long way but on a roll and getting results, the Leeds win was the first win in four. Bong is ok at left back, Kayal and Stephens are both good champ midfielders but not spectacular, solid side to be fair..

The Amex is a quiet place, 20K season ticket holders but a lot of them are there to watch football and not Brighton fans, a draw would be a great result and not unachievable IMO"

Ties in with the deluded dullard who was predicting in the summer that Bristol would finish many points and places above us.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is quite an insight when a number of managers, who you would expect to know a bit about the game, say we are the best team in the division and deserve to be top.

albionite

May 20, 2009
That m.d that writes on that site makes a few clueless comments about us, even says we are slow starters.

Reminds me abit of the year we got out of league one everyone thought we would soon drop of the pace and we are not all that.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
If Rosenior isn't fit for tonight and CH doesn't feel Manu is ready for a start then I should imagine Crofts will come in and we'll go 4-3-3.

I'm afraid Calde should only be used as a sub from now on..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here