[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Aston Villa *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
As excruciatingly painful as that was to watch, I don’t begrudge Villa their win. They haven’t won away for 6 months and you can’t blame a savvy Emery and his squad from using every trick in the book to run down the clock, especially after we’ve gifted them two goals. Crucially, their time wasting was facilitated by some shocking refereeing and we were denied by a crucial VAR decision against us (which seemed to be confirmed as "no penalty" very quickly?). We lost today because too many Albion players didn’t turn up, and those who did couldn’t find a way through Villa’s defences. Our substitutions were ineffective and we couldn’t use them to our advantage. It was a truly horrible game to watch but, hopefully, RDZ and the squad will learn from it.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Commentators said 7 yellow cards for villa and the FA will be having a look and probably getting a fine.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Was quite impressed by Colwill, big lad with an old head on young shoulders, seemed to slot right into the side
Yep. And really strong and mobile. Sometimes Webster and Dunk especially can look a little lumbering but Colwill was really fleet footed and quick on the turn which can be a massive help if you’re aggressively pressing and holding a high line.

He may well become an important first choice pick in an RDZ side.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Another unpopular opinion, I wonder if the club are looking at first team quality CB's? Webster's worried me this season with significant errors up field, usually covered by Dunk.

Veltman has to start every EPL (yes, I know he missed recent wins), but he gives security to the right sided CB. In the over confident first half, at times all of Dunk, Gross and March were up field by the dugouts in open play, WTF. Allowing a poor Digne and one other to exploit the space and pass to the dangerous Ings.
De Zerbi has said a couple of weeks ago that he doesnt need a striker but wants a CB.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I wonder if some of those who played were also suffering from this bug, but not enough to miss the game?
You mean the ones that put themselves into Qatartine to avoid infecting others on the pitch 😉

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
You won’t be alone in that feeling - something is a little off with Dunky - maybe it’s the thought of not having another chance at the England squad combined with his age? He has been one of those players sadly overlooked in recent years.

Having said that, conceding penalties are an occupational hazard for defenders and especially for one Dunk’s size - statistically he is probably the most likely player on the team to get a wrong penalty decision against him - he is also one of the few players (ironically along with Burn and White) that I’d most want in front of me if I was playing in goal but without the careless errors!
Agreed. I wasn't commenting on Lewis as a player though (although he wasn't great today)
He's not a captain. Never was

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just one of those days. Losing Mitoma, Webster & Lallana threw all the plans out the window. Veltman can’t be fit to play 90. Enciso was a gamble that didn’t pay off. And we were still robbed of a point by a shit VAR non decision.

One to move on from.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It was a shame dunk took out McGinn for their pen as there’s not a chance he’d have scored if left to his own devices.
Although same could be said of welbeck against arsenal !

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Without Mitoma our attack is non existent under RDZ. March hasn’t scored for two years, Welbeck not one league goal yet which just leaves Trossard. We need to strengthen the forward line.
Not completely dismissing but funny to read considering before today we'd scored 10 in three including Chelsea and Arsenal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports