Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Aston Villa *** Official Match Thread ***

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not seen anything written about Enciso really. Felt for the lad. That was as bad a performance as I've seen from an Albion player in a very very long time. Looked like they had plucked a young lad out the crowd and given them a game.

All looked so good when we went ahead . Colwell's header should of got us a point even so.

Pretty embarrassing from Villa but cheats do prosper and get rewarded it seems.

Need better striker options , plain to see

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
RDZ got the forced early change wrong. Enciso and Welbeck unbalanced us and left us light in the middle. Billy Gilmour would have been a more sensible swap with the benefit of hindsight.
We gave them their two goals, never easy when we do that.
Villa are turning into a bogey team for us but mostly through our own making...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
RDZ got the forced early change wrong. Enciso and Welbeck unbalanced us and left us light in the middle. Billy Gilmour would have been a more sensible swap with the benefit of hindsight.
We gave them their two goals, never easy when we do that.
Villa are turning into a bogey team for us but mostly through our own making...
Enciso for Lallana was bizarre. Just can't understand RDZ's thinking there.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Manager needed to come up with something at halftime to increase our attacking threat. He didnt because we were worse.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It was a tight game, horribly frustrating but became a predictable pantomime. I thought if we scored 1st we would be fine, but Lallana going off changed it and I agree with others, thought it was strange that Gilmour (or Veltman to free Gross) didn't come on.. Tbf, it was so early that the pattern of the game hadn't really unfolded but we seemed sloppy after the goal and Villa were justifiably 1-1 at the break. Even then, persisting with Gross at right-back seemed odd, given we have two natural right-backs on the bench. Penalty was unnecessary from Dunk I thought - the guy overhit it, but I was so disappointed with the 2nd goal : poor all around and after that the script was written - one we have seen so many times!

How many cards did Villa get by the end? Horrible horrible watch that the Officials failed to get hold of. The Assistant referee on East side in 2nd half was so ineffectual. Martinez, McGinn, Young cut new lows in s@*$housery..

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I appreciate I’m not really adding anything to the conversation here, but that really was a horrific display of officiating. It was oh so obvious that he was going to allow Martinez to take all day to do anything and wait until the dying minutes to caution him. Awful.
It was pretty poor from the officials all round - not just the refs either, and not just against us (although the Solly pen was oviously the most critical). One of the lino's gave us 2 corners we shouldn't have had which were blatant and only a few yards away from him.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Went past the Amex stadium last night and all the floodlights were on - was a match being played or is it a case of pitch maintenance from the heavy rain pouring down for the groundsman? Always amazed by the stadium especially at night, even after 11 and a half years!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It was a tight game, horribly frustrating but became a predictable pantomime. I thought if we scored 1st we would be fine, but Lallana going off changed it and I agree with others, thought it was strange that Gilmour (or Veltman to free Gross) didn't come on.. Tbf, it was so early that the pattern of the game hadn't really unfolded but we seemed sloppy after the goal and Villa were justifiably 1-1 at the break. Even then, persisting with Gross at right-back seemed odd, given we have two natural right-backs on the bench. Penalty was unnecessary from Dunk I thought - the guy overhit it, but I was so disappointed with the 2nd goal : poor all around and after that the script was written - one we have seen so many times!

How many cards did Villa get by the end? Horrible horrible watch that the Officials failed to get hold of. The Assistant referee on East side in 2nd half was so ineffectual. Martinez, McGinn, Young cut new lows in s@*$housery..
I thought this until I reviewed the 1-2 game at their place back in Lockdown.
Didn't think it was possible, but God! they were much worse under Smith.

Horrible cheating twunts.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Went past the Amex stadium last night and all the floodlights were on - was a match being played or is it a case of pitch maintenance from the heavy rain pouring down for the groundsman? Always amazed by the stadium especially at night, even after 11 and a half years!

It would just be the grow lamps used in the pitch.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Again I posted this before, but it’s very frustrating. WHY weren’t we crowding the ref for March’s VAR check, forcing him to check the screen? The worst we’d get is a small fine and almost definitely a penalty.

Some of our lads are just so passive. We needed Dunk running the length of the pitch, three/four players around him, saying “it’s a definite penalty, check it, it’s definite”.

We gave him such an easy ride and he was having such a poor game. Summed up our day, we didn’t look up for it mentally

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Again I posted this before, but it’s very frustrating. WHY weren’t we crowding the ref for March’s VAR check, forcing him to check the screen? The worst we’d get is a small fine and almost definitely a penalty.

Some of our lads are just so passive. We needed Dunk running the length of the pitch, three/four players around him, saying “it’s a definite penalty, check it, it’s definite”.

We gave him such an easy ride and he was having such a poor game. Summed up our day, we didn’t look up for it mentally
Lallana again, he is always chirping away at the officials, as does Veltman.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I don't think the referee is allowed to go and look at the screen unless the VAR orders him to. Probably actually a good thing, as it effectivey stops teams mobbing the referee to go and look at it.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't think the referee is allowed to go and look at the screen unless the VAR orders him to. Probably actually a good thing, as it effectivey stops teams mobbing the referee to go and look at it.
Check the mic’d up Jared Gillett video on YouTube, he says something along the lines of “I’d better check the screen, the players are expecting me to” to the VAR official, then he does just that.

If you don’t appeal, the referee has an easy out from making a tough decision. We are far too soft in this regard and have been since Hyypia’s spell in charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here