[Albion] ‘Brighton got our best young player and we got nothing’ (The Times)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This thread puts me in mind of John Gregory and Gareth Barry :smile:

and yes I do not we won’t be deliberately shafting Basingstoke

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Sounds strange and I would feel bitter if a 17 year old went for nothing. Whatever the rules are nothing to stop Albion doing the decent thing by making a small donation to them. with more to come if makes the grade if transfer or first team games happen.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
If the club really are completely blocked from making any kind of contribution, that is ridiculous and the rule needs to change. In the meantime, we supporters could set up a crowdfunder to support them, and I would happily donate.
Love this idea!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sounds strange and I would feel bitter if a 17 year old went for nothing. Whatever the rules are nothing to stop Albion doing the decent thing by making a small donation to them. with more to come if makes the grade if transfer or first team games happen.

Of course there is. There’s rules and Brighton randomly paying a football club would get picked up by auditors and questioned what for.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why didn't he sign a contract with Basingstoke and then we buy him? Wouldn't that have sorted it?
Apologies if answered in the column, I've not read it.

Good question. I believe he said he was training/playing full time, so presumably they were paying him, which I would have thought meant that we would need to buy out the contract :shrug:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We could get their coaches onto some training courses or as people have said send our U21’s for friendlies. That could happen once a year for a long time. Loan them a player for free each year or give them a bunch of old equipment. Plenty of opportunities I’m sure but would we then be accused of avoiding the rules and bribing the club or something?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
You sure about that?! I thought our aademy players were more in the region of 15-20K pa plus accomodation, and bonus payments for first-team appearances.
U18 scholars are on the figures you're talking about for sure. Once they've signed a proper professional contract the money goes up.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Reminds me, what’s this man up to these days!
IMG_5643.jpeg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is that a re-titled goalkeeper blooper video?
I must admit, I watched that and thought "poor lad's in for a shock if expects the keepers to be as generous as that playing for us". then I remembered Nick Pope on Saturday :clap2: :clap2:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Love this idea!
I don’t…….asking fans for a few quid when the PL is awash with billions feels wrong to me. Also difficult for the club to do anything at all that would stay within the rules (making ‘donations’ of cash, kit or buses etc would very soon get out of hand when the likes of Boehly and his accountants spot the loophole so can see why the rules are there).

FA need to look at the rules and provide for it somehow - maybe the source club gets a % of the player’s future annual contract value after two years or a % of any future transfer fee provided they’ve stayed with us for a period or something. Feels wrong they can’t benefit at all and what would be peanuts for us could be importantfor them.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I don’t…….asking fans for a few quid when the PL is awash with billions feels wrong to me. Also difficult for the club to do anything at all that would stay within the rules (making ‘donations’ of cash, kit or buses etc would very soon get out of hand when the likes of Boehly and his accountants spot the loophole so can see why the rules are there).

FA need to look at the rules and provide for it somehow - maybe the source club gets a % of the player’s future annual contract value after two years or a % of any future transfer fee provided they’ve stayed with us for a period or something. Feels wrong they can’t benefit at all and what would be peanuts for us could be importantfor them.
Did the Gov't ever appoint a regulator? Surely they'd love a crack at this issue. Nothing but credit for tying at least and better if successful.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Better than March, Mitoma and Ansu Fati?
He's 17. I think he means either our u18s or u21s . I don't think he means our first team.
He's training and playing with the u21s as far as i can tell and to give you a sense of where he is. He is yet to start a game, and has been in one squad so far coming off the bench for 20 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports