Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Brighton got our best young player and we got nothing’ (The Times)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wouldn't this defeat the Bosman ruling. A player out of/has no contract and someone signing them has to pay previous clubs., I don't think that's going to happen.
Anything that undermines the Bosman ruling is fine by me. That ramped up the era of player greed we are seeing now and is feeding everything that is wrong with the financial side of our game.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think the bit we are struggling with is why it matters, and what difference it makes.

It doesn’t.
It makes no difference under the current rules. I think a few people are just suggesting that the sort of connection this player has/had with Basingstoke is not helping that club in any way. In a game entirely in hoc to money there is comparatively very little filtering downwards.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Good spot. Wonder if he's finding the grass is greener at Chelsea?

Is it any different to us loaning out 18/19 year olds to EFL clubs ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is it any different to us loaning out 18/19 year olds to EFL clubs ?
I know it’s a side discussion but you compared it to loans earlier and I see these as two separate issues. The Basingstoke anomaly is that the player wasn’t allowed to be under contract before we signed him so that club gets nothing. When a player is under contract there is no reason the loaning club should benefit financially when sold. They are getting what they want by temporarily signing the player and saving a transfer fee. They sometimes have to pay a loan fee as well as wages, which seems fair to me. Basically the Peterborough chairman is a bit of a chancer in this respect. I wouldn’t expect us to present a bill next year to Barcelona for Fati :)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
As far as I can tell, ....

He's a 17 year old kid who's been signed on a YTS contract (in old money). ....

Nope. He would have been a second-year scholar last season, but he is no longer eligible to play for the U-18s. He has been signed on a full professional contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here