Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ‘Brighton got our best young player and we got nothing’ (The Times)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If the club really are completely blocked from making any kind of contribution, that is ridiculous and the rule needs to change. In the meantime, we supporters could set up a crowdfunder to support them, and I would happily donate.

The kids on £75k-£100k a year. Why can’t he just chuck them a few quid ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I don't feel good about taking a player from a club like that for nothing.

Surely with the money we are bringing in we could afford some kind of financial transaction to help a small club financially for losing a young talent.

Grassroots football clubs should be supported when possible.
It’s against the rules, there is a way around it as I know of a similar case about a kid in London who everyone is trying to sign Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea are prepared to give the parent a very large sum and buy her a very large house. Some of this sum could be sent to said club by parent.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It says ‘connected’ not ‘coached.’ I think they have a point about the system. Coaching doesn’t begin when a player joins a PL academy.

‘Connected’ as a 2 year old. What does that mean?

I’d take them more seriously if they hadn’t made a comment like that

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We are all so quick to spend TB’s money! Should he really donate £50k to every lower league club that has a connection with one of our youth team players who might be offloaded at the end of the season?

All this whilst breaking the EPL rules.

Afraid Crowd funding is becoming a begging bowl

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know literally nothing of young Brody, but Basingstoke play at Step 3 (one below the National League South). If he was genuinely better than the teenagers we already have (Ferguson? Enciso? Bounanotte? Moran?) then he'd have scored FIFTY goals for them last season, rather than failing to make the squad and being loaned out even lower, to Tadley Calleva in the Wessex League.
Indeed.

I am going against the grain here I'm sure, but I don't really understand how a part-time club who deems a player not good enough to be part of their first team squad can really criticize anyone else when a professional club sees something in that player that the club itself obviously didn't and offers them a chance to make a career for themselves.

i.e. At what point is a football club small enough to simply justify its existence by playing football for enjoyment, rather than acting as a farm for better players? To me, I'd draw a parallel with the way amateur golfers get to play in the Open, but don't pick up any prize money.

None of this means I don't hope Basingstoke Town thrive, by the way. As has been said, Albion could send a team there pre-season I'm sure.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Connected as a two-year-old - as in having several family members involved in and committed to the club, and he himself being a mascot. Enough connections for you?
I take their comments perfectly seriously (except perhaps for the one about him being better than some of what we've already got - probably a boit of over-enthusiastic loyalty there?) and they have a very good point. It is ridiculous that we can just take this player - whether he turns out a winner or not - without being allowed to trickle some money down the pyramid.
As I said earlier, I hope we can find a way by sponsoring the logo on their shirt collars or something for an inflated (by their levels) amount.

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
I don't feel good about taking a player from a club like that for nothing.

Surely with the money we are bringing in we could afford some kind of financial transaction to help a small club financially for losing a young talent.

Grassroots football clubs should be supported when possible.

From reading the above, it sounds as if the club have tried to compensate Basingstoke, but the way the Premier League regulations are established prevents this.

I can understand regulations have to be present to prevent lower league teams effectively becoming feeder teams for wealthier clubs, but for us to want to provide recompense for a specific player in a specific situation, and be unable to, seems an odd situation to be in. Absolutely the club will be reluctant to fall foul of Premier League regulations, but I’d have hoped the regulations allowed for a way to provide something to a club that could very much do with a leg up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Connected as a two-year-old - as in having several family members involved in and committed to the club, and he himself being a mascot. Enough connections for you?
I

It’s irrelevant to the player and his abilities though

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
We are all so quick to spend TB’s money! Should he really donate £50k to every lower league club that has a connection with one of our youth team players who might be offloaded at the end of the season?

All this whilst breaking the EPL rules.

Afraid Crowd funding is becoming a begging bowl
This isn't really fair. Whilst we are bandying around £50k without much reason, it's clear the club have tried to pay a fee for the player, or at least find a way to make some form of payment but are stopped by existing rules.

It's obvious why those rules exist, you can't have fees for non-contract players because otherwise clubs would be able to hold players hostage without the need to actually employ/pay them. In this case, it seems a bit harsh but the club need to stick to the rules, and according to the article, if we did want to negotiate a fee, the transfer would likely not be allowed to happen anyway.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I think it illustrates how immersed in the club he and his family were. Like me with my family cricket club except he then went on to become their best player as well. It’s a shame that kind of connection and the time he spent developing at that club can’t be rewarded.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not really. He played through the age levels, so was undoubtedly coached, even if only at Basingstoke level of coaching. By all levels of fairness and decency, Basingstoke should be allowed to get something for the work they've put in.

Agreed. But not from 2 years old

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Coached him since he was 2 ? 😂
It clearly says connected with the club from two, not coached.
The local news ran a piece on him which showed him at a pre-school age kicking a ball around in a warm-up and also in the tunnel with the players.
Basically, the message was that he's a lifelong Basingstoke fan, and also played through the age groups.
Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 10.21.53.png

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The local news ran a piece on him which showed him at a pre-school age kicking a ball around in a warm-up and also in the tunnel with the players.
Basically, the message was that he's a lifelong Basingstoke fan.
View attachment 165997
[/QUOTE
Basically, the message was that he's a lifelong Basingstoke fan.
View attachment 165997

Exactly - so the player benefited from that and should make a contribution if we can’t.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The kids on £75k-£100k a year. Why can’t he just chuck them a few quid ?
You sure about that?! I thought our aademy players were more in the region of 15-20K pa plus accomodation, and bonus payments for first-team appearances.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You sure about that?! I thought our aademy players were more in the region of 15-20K pa plus accomodation, and bonus payments for first-team appearances.

Is he an U23 or U18? If a U23 I’m pretty sure they are on £1k-£2k a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here