Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton City FC

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Excellent. Rebranding would really help them.

This. Pretty similar to Langney Sports becoming Eastbourne Boro as they climed the league pyramid.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Moulscoombe with the E----it looks so much better. I think you will find a lot of Albion fans live there and go to games unlike you:)

...except it's wrong, there's no E on the end. I was brought up there and know how to spell the name, innit

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
You've got no fans...

Hasn't stopped Palarse this season.... Ahem, until recently ;)

Anyway, East Brighton would and should have been the obvious choice to have chosen shirley?

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
It was apparently done in consultation with the Albion. Here's the probable script....

Whitehawk Exec: Hello is that Mr Barber
Barber: Yes
Whitehawk Exec: I'm calling from Whitehawk Football Club
Barber: Who ?
Whitehawk Exec: Your most local rivals
Barber: Listen, I don't know who you are, but make it quick
Whitehawk Exec: We are going to change our name
Barber: Put me down for a strip, what is it £1 a time.
Whitehawk Exec: No, we have decided already-we want to be called Brighton City-are you O.K with that ?
Barber: I don't give a flying f**k mate..

brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr................

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I say good luck to them, if a name change gets them a few hundred more fans per game then do it. In the Argus they say they consulted BHA who have no problem with the name change.

They are 5 divisions below us (maybe 6 depending on what we do) and are working their way up from the bottom and yes they are being bank rolled to a degree but are they actually in debt? Is what is happening to them really that different to us? Don't forget without the Bloom millions we would probably still be in League 1 playing in a 2 sided stadium uncompleted Donatellos Pizza stadium (Amex would not have been interested in an unfinished project) or still at Withdean and would not have the players we have now. Without the BCFC chairman they would not have the players they have now. Crawley got into the league via 2 periods of admin, I'd love to see in 3-4 seasons time Brighton City playing in league 2 (cant see them going straight up from the conference) and consolidate their position, hopefully grow off the back of being the second team in a Premiership represented city and yes it may give the football fans who cant afford PL away ticket prices a local outlet for their football. I am certain they will not be playing at home when we do (so they will be at home when Crawley are) so why not support them.

Infact it would not surprise me if we loaned them a few of the fringe DS players next season, blood them in at a reasonable standard while keeping them local so the club can keep an eye on them. Why not have a feeder club on our doorstep?

Anyway, we have more important things to worry about, like getting a point or more against Leeds tomorrow

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Whitehawk were my non-league side, my nearest team.

There is now a vacancy.....

I could understand a little if there were serious league ambitions, but this.

Anyway, I live in Queens Park, what would my second nearest non-league side be folks ?

How non league do you want to go? Rottingdean!

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
Brighton Hawks would have been my choice too.

I don't understand why there is such negativity about them on here. Personally I think they will struggle to get a team into the Football League simply because of the limitations of the ground ie where it is sited and the lack of parking/transport links. To be even just about sustainable they need crowds of 2K and I can't see that will be possible.

However good luck to them and I will watch their progress with interest.

Worst case scenario is that in five years time they are back in the County league called Whitehawk once more.

Kind of you to remember. Still think East Brighton would have been better - more accurate, and a bit edgier.
Because it's on the edge of Brighton? :)

I'm not talking about a massive fan base emerging in the thousands but would attract a few hundred more,
I wonder if that's how Liverpool managed to overcome Everton's dominance of nearly a century.

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Really baffled why some people seem to be genuinely insulted by this? It isn't as if there are going to be a threat to us, and besides, nothing says you can't an interest in both teams. I say good luck to them!

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
How do they get a fan base though? All the big cities with 2 or more clubs have had a hundred or more years of tradition and people have grown up supporting one or the other. I just don't see how they develop a fan base. You'd almost have to be a disenchanted B&HA fan and even that doesn't seem possible. Good luck to them though it will be interesting to see how it unfolds

think you may have answered your own question there. some who support whitehawk now will drum it into their kids, and their kids kids... give it some time and boom, they have a fan base that's worthy of acknowledgement

Other Cities where there is 2 teams and no-one knows why Cambridge (City and United), there are not enough fans in Cambridge for one team, there will be many more I can't be bothered to think of right now.
I remember when Cambridge City and Utd were rivals in the Southern League. I think Utd then won 2 or 3 successive championships and were elected to the FL in place of, ironically, Bradford Park Avenue in 1970. City could not attract the youngsters, so were then unable to challenge for League status themselves. Usually in the jungle of FC evolution, one club becomes dominant in a town, but occasionally they are so balanced that two manage to survive at a similar level. Such examples are Harrogate, Northwich, Abingdon and Ossett.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Brighton City sounds turd. Brighton Football Club would have been better. Would cause even more confusion for potential sponsors and the media. Eastbourne borough can get get away with it because they haven't got a potential GIANT on their doorstep so no one really gives a shit.

"Old Brightonians" would have been more appropriate anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here