Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton City FC

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
When playing sunday league footy some years ago, one of my clubs tried to change their name to City ( as it was run by a City fan ) despite the fact we were not in a City, the word "City" was just being added to the pub name. We were told by the league in no uncertain terms that FA rules prohibit the word "City" being used in club names by 11 a side teams in FA sanctioned leagues where the rest of the title does not contain the name of the actual City they are in. Therefore they cannot under the FA's own rules call themselves "Brighton City" as it has already been pointed out here that Brighton is not a City. I am emailing the FA to point this out.

In the Southern League there is a team called Guildford City, despite the fact that Guildford isn't a city at all!

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
It has a Cathedral. Pretty sure that entitles it to City Status.

There are loads of places that have cathedrals that are not cities. Arundel for one. Having a Cathedral does not mean the place is automatically a city, conversely a city doesn't have to have a cathedral to be called a city.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
They will never survive at a higher level than they are at !
Average gate probably about 90 if that.
How will they compete for attendances especially when Albion are at home ?
Don't get me wrong it's great to see another Sussex side doing well but let's be realistic
it will all end in tears at somepoint in time.
Sad but true.

End in tears?, why?. Numerous other poorly supported local non-league clubs have found their level, are successful at it, and compete financially. Even the mighty Crawley attracted relatively few fans until recent years, and just look at them now.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sure it is BHA which has objected, as they were supposed to be on board?

Maybe they've changed their mind of course, or maybe it is some other council/safety body which has these concerns.

The Argus reported on Friday that Albion HAD objected. Hawks missed the deadline with the FA for applications to change a name; they were given a second chance to force things through, but Hawks were told Albion objected because they believe the new name could cause confusion. Hawks director Kevin Keehan hadn't heard anything official, but believes there were concerns over ambulances going to the wrong place or people getting mixed up with websites. Hawks still hope the name change might happen in the future.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
End in tears?, why?. Numerous other poorly supported local non-league clubs have found their level, are successful at it, and compete financially. Even the mighty Crawley attracted relatively few fans until recent years, and just look at them now.

I really wouldn't quote Crawley Town as a model for sensible financial planning!

For every Crawley, there are 10 or more other clubs either coming out of, or entering administration. The list is massive, even currently either in admin or on the precipice; Farnborough Town, Worcester City, Aldershot, Hereford, AFC Totton, Truro FC, Gloucester City, Ebbsfleet.....

Crawley always had good support when they were doing well. The average gate in BSS is around 400, so Whitehawk will need a 400% increase just to be on a level playing field. Just hope they manage it sensibly, and don't go the Truro route.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I am bothered about the practical consequences of this name change. We will be forever hearing "brighton" on local radio or TV and thinking its about us, or we've just scored to then find out its Whitehawk the're on about.

When playing sunday league footy some years ago, one of my clubs tried to change their name to City ( as it was run by a City fan ) despite the fact we were not in a City, the word "City" was just being added to the pub name. We were told by the league in no uncertain terms that FA rules prohibit the word "City" being used in club names by 11 a side teams in FA sanctioned leagues where the rest of the title does not contain the name of the actual City they are in. Therefore they cannot under the FA's own rules call themselves "Brighton City" as it has already been pointed out here that Brighton is not a City. I am emailing the FA to point this out.

i thought brighton is offically a city now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_and_Hove

Brighton and Hove is a unitary authority area and city in the ceremonial county of East Sussex, England. It is England's most populous seaside resort. The unitary authority was formed from the unification of Brighton Borough Council and Hove Borough Council in 1997. The towns were granted city status by Queen Elizabeth II as part of the millennium celebrations in 2000. "Brighton" is often referred to synonymously with the official "Brighton and Hove" name although many locals still consider the two to be separate towns.

Oct 25, 2003
i thought brighton is offically a city now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_and_Hove

Brighton and Hove is a unitary authority area and city in the ceremonial county of East Sussex, England. It is England's most populous seaside resort. The unitary authority was formed from the unification of Brighton Borough Council and Hove Borough Council in 1997. The towns were granted city status by Queen Elizabeth II as part of the millennium celebrations in 2000. "Brighton" is often referred to synonymously with the official "Brighton and Hove" name although many locals still consider the two to be separate towns.

as stated in the link that you quoted, brighton AND HOVE is a city

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Word has it drifting to me from another BSS club is that BHA have objected to Whitehawk's application to change their name on grounds that 'Brighton City' could cause confusion for incidents when say ambulances are rushed to attend an incident, or other such confusions over a perceived name clash.

Must be a nightmare in Sheffield.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Odd move. East Brighton FC or something like that makes some sense, but trying to make out they're the city of Brighton's team, i think they're a bit deluded. What sort of gates to they get? That odd little ground is miles from anyway (and that includes most of Whitehawk!) and tricky to get to. They might do better trying to convince the people who live in and around Whitehawk to really get behind them than attempting to reach out to the city as a whole.

Lewes or even Burgess Hill is a much better non league afternoon out in my view... especially as you can get the train to either and have a few pints.
Yeah go and watch Lewes or Burgess Hill.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Meant as a peak. Others had said they wouldn't survive in THIS league let alone any higher. I think they can climb one more level then 'level off'

What on earth are you basing that on? The BSS is an incredibly hard league to get out of, only 1 goes up automatic, then a playoff. The budgets, experience, playing squads, facilities of most of the clubs at this level will far exceed Whitehawk.

It's about as likely to happen as Bournemouth getting to the Premier League next season.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
It will end in tears, as the ground it not suitalbe to support a league club. They will have to move and considering the Albion found it soooo easy to build a new ground, I doubt Whitehawk would have a prayer. There is no other way for it to end than in tears.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It will end in tears, as the ground it not suitalbe to support a league club. They will have to move and considering the Albion found it soooo easy to build a new ground, I doubt Whitehawk would have a prayer. There is no other way for it to end than in tears.

They were planning to use the Withdean but the league they were in, demanded some ridiculous payment up front and then additional payments if any match was postponed. If they are in a different league they may have more sympathy if they try Withdean again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here