Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Born

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
First gulped the air in Southlands Hospital, we lived in Southwick. When mates dragged me along to football (one of the group was a girl we all fancied!) there was only one club to consider ...BHA , in Hove actually....

I have been hooked ever since. She is like a woman that one can never get over and stop loving her no matter how often she lets you down - and the good times are so very good!

Living exiled in the East Midlands currently, most people are envious of us coming from Brighton, which we did for many years.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
And you have the cheek to bang on (often) about immigrants.

I don't "bang on" about immigrants per se, just the great numbers of them all at once. In the 1950/60s, this country was already worried about how full up it was, with a population of around 60 million. Now, it's out of control. In Brighton, for example, there's almost no land available to build housing, so we're knocking down factories, shops, everything, to cram as many more people in as possible. There are also great numbers of ordinary houses being divided into flats. And when we run out of all that, I expect we'll do what other cities have done, and claim parts of the sea and displace the water up river valleys.

And anyway, Mr Tubthumper, you have absconded from these shores, so according some people, you have absolutely no right to discuss British politics with us. Perhaps, having left this country, you have no right to support the Albion either, because, according to TheFatBallBoy, you can support the team ONLY if you were born in this town, and, to others, only if you live in this town.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Racist!!! What are you talking about you Dipstick, the original post by TFBB was pretty clueless, but your post is googling stupid.

Someone else used a much better word about TheFatBallBoy's post and that was "clannish". That TheFatBallBoy thinks that only those born in Brighton are entitled to support the Albion is googling stupid. (As a reminder, race has little to do with skin colour, but with small-minded prejudice about outsiders.)

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Yes, me also. 5 Generations of Brightonians on my Dad's side here and he's a genealogist; before 1841 it becomes trickier in Brighton and Hove to confirm it and before 1801, near impossible (unless you are gentry/mormon). Have you had it researched? Curious as I don't often meet anyone with a longer (provable) Brighton lineage.

Hovaboy's great-great grandfather was born in Brighton in 1827. Before 1801, the population of Brighton was tiny so they almost all came from somewhere else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And anyway, Mr Tubthumper, you have absconded from these shores and have no right to discuss British politics .

I still pay some taxes in the UK so I still have a right to tell you all how things should be run :smile:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Someone else used a much better word about TheFatBallBoy's post and that was "clannish". That TheFatBallBoy thinks that only those born in Brighton are entitled to support the Albion is googling stupid. (As a reminder, race has little to do with skin colour, but with small-minded prejudice about outsiders.)

What was 'Racist' about TFBBs comments then?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You're not a proper Brighton supporter unless you were born within sight of the Goldstone in Hove.

Oh hang on. I mean you're not proper Hove supporter unless you were born...No wait a second.

Oh bugger.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
I could hear if Brighton had scored from my parents back garden. Does that make me a non plastic? NB This was before I was old enough to go obviously!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Yes, me also. 5 Generations of Brightonians on my Dad's side here and he's a genealogist; before 1841 it becomes trickier in Brighton and Hove to confirm it and before 1801, near impossible (unless you are gentry/mormon). Have you had it researched? Curious as I don't often meet anyone with a longer (provable) Brighton lineage.

I haven't researched it properly, but I know my great-grandfather (on my paternal grandmother's side) ran a snooker hall in North St. So that makes me at least 4th generation Brighton-born. They lived in Bute Street, north of Brighton College.

PG

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I was born in Brighton but never lived there

dragged up on a Newhaven Council estate

but I consider myself even now while living abroad as fervent a supporter as the next bloke

remember back in the early 70's when away fans where rare

the Brighton North Stand Boys would have us provincials out on our ear

I think there is a cut off point,of course you can be a passionate fan of any team

say if your 25 years old and move to Newcastle after around 10 years you might think your as passionate as the geordie sitting next to you

but the geordie would say no and I can see his point

it's great bumping into English people on holiday who say they support Oldham or Hartlepool

when they say Man U or Chelsea you can't help thinking they're just glory hunters,even if they're not

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
My Dad has researched it so will ask him - I know we are directly related to Martha Gunn (guess everyone probably is in some form!) Our family lived in the Northern Lights Pub I think.

there are plenty of Gunn's still about.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Seems to me the OP feels he is superior to others that ha e moved here.

I to was born here and all the generations as far back as family can remember all lived in Brighton and I will defend Brighton to the hilt, but I can't wait to get away from here.
All I do is is commute from the place, the town offers me nothing for leisure / play time and the greens have stopped us car drivers going to town for shopping so I'm off out to the country.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Seems to me the OP feels he is superior to others that ha e moved here.

I to was born here and all the generations as far back as family can remember all lived in Brighton and I will defend Brighton to the hilt, but I can't wait to get away from here.
All I do is is commute from the place, the town offers me nothing for leisure / play time and the greens have stopped us car drivers going to town for shopping so I'm off out to the country.

Also the clock tower is a right mess at the moment. Discarded clothes all over it, and the greens aren't collecting the bins so it's just getting worse. KitKat can do one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't "bang on" about immigrants per se, just the great numbers of them all at once. In the 1950/60s, this country was already worried about how full up it was, with a population of around 60 million. Now, it's out of control. In Brighton, for example, there's almost no land available to build housing, so we're knocking down factories, shops, everything, to cram as many more people in as possible. There are also great numbers of ordinary houses being divided into flats. And when we run out of all that, I expect we'll do what other cities have done, and claim parts of the sea and displace the water up river valleys.

And anyway, Mr Tubthumper, you have absconded from these shores, so according some people, you have absolutely no right to discuss British politics with us. Perhaps, having left this country, you have no right to support the Albion either, because, according to TheFatBallBoy, you can support the team ONLY if you were born in this town, and, to others, only if you live in this town.

Anyway, my point was that you're an immigrant yourself. And you do bang on, you just did.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here