Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Born

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
99% of the time the line "I was actually born here" is met with "wow, that's a rarity, I've never met anyone ACTUALLY from Brighton before"

This is a city absolutely rammed with tourists and outsiders. I have no problem with it but there can't be many other cities in the UK with such a high proportion of residents who weren't born in the area

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
It is irrelevant I agree - however I often get the impression they feel Brighton was somehow insignificant before they turned up - admittedly these people are all in the creative industries and are self absorbed by nature! I love my home town but it does seem to be changing in terms of its demographic - I always thought it was a good thing but not so sure anymore.

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
99% of the time the line "I was actually born here" is met with "wow, that's a rarity, I've never met anyone ACTUALLY from Brighton before"

This is a city absolutely rammed with tourists and outsiders. I have no problem with it but there can't be many other cities in the UK with such a high proportion of residents who weren't born in the area

This is what Im talking about exactly - must be highly unusually in other towns to be thought of as a rarity in your home town.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I was born in Brighton many years ago. It is amazing that when people here ask where I was born (for some reason they think I am a Londoner) and I say Brighton so many of them say "blimey that is unusual, nearly everyone I meet have moved into the city, not born here".
Shows how attractive the city is to those born elsewhere.

Cant see how you can be proper albion if you are born outside brighton tbh.

Good lord ! :eek:

I said something similar, yet milder, to this 3 months ago ( I suggested everyone should be living in Sussex who attends the Amex) and got my whatsits chewed off by NSC - How did you get away with it ! :bowdown:

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Cant see how you can be proper albion if you are born outside brighton tbh.

Ridiculous thing to say and almost racist, if that is the word for "petty Brightonian bigot". I support Federer, but I wasn't born in Switzerland. I was born in Scotland (not my fault, I had nothing to do with it), but I support Brighton.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Ridiculous thing to say and almost racist, if that is the word for "petty Brightonian bigot". I support Federer, but I wasn't born in Switzerland. I was born in Scotland (not my fault, I had nothing to do with it), but I support Brighton.

Racist!!! What are you talking about you Dipstick, the original post by TFBB was pretty clueless, but your post is googling stupid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Its starting to get depressing the amount of people who express patronising surprise when I say I was born in Brighton (as were the pervious 7 or so generations on my Dads side). Does anyone else get this? Hopefully there are still a high number of Brighton Borns still able to live here!

Yes, me also. 5 Generations of Brightonians on my Dad's side here and he's a genealogist; before 1841 it becomes trickier in Brighton and Hove to confirm it and before 1801, near impossible (unless you are gentry/mormon). Have you had it researched? Curious as I don't often meet anyone with a longer (provable) Brighton lineage.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Yes, I have quite often encountered surprise and amazement when I have said to people that I am a born and bred Brightonian. I just tend to play on it a bit now and just say something along the lines of 'one of the few' before anyone else says it.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Have Manchester United got the highest number of supporters not from the area they play in?

*doffs tin hat*

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Yes, me also. 5 Generations of Brightonians on my Dad's side here and he's a genealogist; before 1841 it becomes trickier in Brighton and Hove to confirm it and before 1801, near impossible (unless you are gentry/mormon). Have you had it researched? Curious as I don't often meet anyone with a longer (provable) Brighton lineage.

My Dad has researched it so will ask him - I know we are directly related to Martha Gunn (guess everyone probably is in some form!) Our family lived in the Northern Lights Pub I think.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Its starting to get depressing the amount of people who express patronising surprise when I say I was born in Brighton (as were the pervious 7 or so generations on my Dads side). Does anyone else get this? Hopefully there are still a high number of Brighton Borns still able to live here!

I get the same thing. I live and work in London, but I always get annoying surprise when I tell people I was born in Brighton/Shoreham (Southlands Hospital). And the amount of people who assume I live in Brighton, just because I support the club.....gets ****ing irritating when I have to repeat myself.

Wierd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here