Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Hove Albion vs Nottingham Forest **** Official Match Thread ****

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Err THREE out of 4 strikers crocked as well as the most creative part of the midfield crocked, another one in absolute shit form, not forgetting the defensive lynchpin of the midfield crocked. I can understand why we are struggling.

The comment was in replt to 21 shots and only three on target! We all understand the injury chrisis, but what is the excuse for professional footballers who cannot shoot?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The comment was in replt to 21 shots and only three on target! We all understand the injury chrisis, but what is the excuse for professional footballers who cannot shoot?

Obviously I wasn't there but I suggest defenders in the way and not really many clear cut chances? From the commentary only the Calderon one was a great chance and we did hit the post. I guess we'll have to wait for those that were there to answer your question properly?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Quite. Decent loan striker in sharpish or we are in for a long, frustrating season; oooh, just like the old days!

For myself, I do not really care as I support the Club through thick and thin. However, I am worried that we have invested heavily and need the fickle JCLs to watch football matches to pay for things. They will keep drifting away with this current form.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Obviously I wasn't there but I suggest defenders in the way and not really many clear cut chances? From the commentary only the Calderon one was a great chance and we did hit the post. I guess we'll have to wait for those that were there to answer your question properly?

It is hardly one match though is it? It has been a problem for the past few years.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It is just a smokescreen. If we wanted to stretch the boundaries we could like the others are doing. Apart from the clubs with parachute payments, surely our expenditure could be biggest as we have the highest revenues? I understand Forest got round it with "sponsership payments" - why can't we?

The problem is running a brand new top class stadium costs loadsamoney , for instance we won't see any decent shirt manufacturer deal until next year.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
For myself, I do not really care as I support the Club through thick and thin. However, I am worried that we have invested heavily and need the fickle JCLs to watch football matches to pay for things. They will keep drifting away with this current form.

Sounded like a cracking game to me, we were just on the wrong end of it. Assuming all our injured players make full recoveries I expect the second half of the season to be well exciting.

I agree we may lose some season ticket holders but that was always going to happen one day. We'll still muster a minimum of 15k if we are playing half decent football. That is not a bad crowd for this division so we'll just have to get on with it.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Sounded like a cracking game to me, we were just on the wrong end of it. Assuming all our injured players make full recoveries I expect the second half of the season to be well exciting.

I agree we may lose some season ticket holders but that was always going to happen one day. We'll still muster a minimum of 15k if we are playing half decent football. That is not a bad crowd for this division so we'll just have to get on with it.

Will we be able to balance the books on 15k gates though? If not, we will spiral inwards due to a lack of money to invest in the playing side of things, which will make even less people want to shell-out large amounts of their hard-earned money to watch shite - etc., etc..

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Will we be able to balance the books on 15k gates though? If not, we will spiral inwards due to a lack of money to invest in the playing side of things, which will make even less people want to shell-out large amounts of their hard-earned money to watch shite - etc., etc..

That's football though isn't it? No guarantees but not getting a striker in is looking like a massive cock up, I agree.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Forest have some talented players and are on a roll. We're being badly hampered by injuries. I'm disappointed but not surprised by the result. We just need to bide our time, its a long season and these injured players will recover eventually. Its tough at the moment, but things will get better.

Dec 29, 2011

We're struggling financially with 27k crowds. Who are we going to buy with 15k crowds?

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011

It's this - shots blocked don't count as being on target. Also, you could get every other shot on target if you were happy banging them down the middle, but you have to aim for the corners and so many will miss the target. It's amazing that this isn't more widely understood.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We're struggling financially with 27k crowds. Who are we going to buy with 15k crowds?

We'll have to settle for surviving rather than winning the league, just like most of the other Championship clubs. There is far too much entitlement for being a top team from so many fans. We'll lose our best players and have to cut our cloth accordingly. Not what I'd like to see but I'm a Brighton fan whether we win the league or get relegated, you have to accept probably 60% of the crowd don't feel that way.

Following a club like Brighton is all about ups and downs,

Having said all that I do believe we will do OK this season, we just won't be in contention for anything better than trying to get as high as we can by season's end. I don't see a relegation battle, but it could happen I guess.

Quite why people think TB should have to throw yet more money at the club astounds me.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I think the crowd expected more of the first half in the second. They got better and we got worse. It was no surprise really as they had a much better side out than us. They really played well when down to 10.
I thought Greer was quite poor this evening - his overall distribution was awful and got a red mist when crossing the halfway line later in the game.
For an international winger Conway shows little pace or skill.
How we can have a holding player who has a couple of MOM awards sitting on the bench I don't know. Andrews would be better placed further forward. Barnes looked lost on his own and had another poor match. I think we will struggle to get a loan forward who can make a difference.
Thank goodness for LuaLua.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Tactically inept

What has Ince done wrong?
Everything has to go through KLL?
We might as well have had 10 men once Buckley was put in the centre
Conway?
Replacing Barnes with Barker was too late and we should have taken Andrews or someone else off

and ...... Kooshack or Ward were good candidates for MOM

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
When you have half your 1st team out injured you tend to lose more games than you win. Stating the obvious is the easy bit. Accepting the situation is where things get tougher.
Would we be pushing for the top six if we were at full strength is the question I'd like the answer to? I'm not sure we would be and that's the hardest part to accept after being so close to promotion last season!
FFP is also easy for the club to hide behind if that's what they're doing.
Losing games when we are at full strength would also upset most fans more than it does now.
We'll just have to hope for more luck with injuries and see what we can do when these players return.
Are we creating enough opportunities or do we still lack an attacking midfield maestro too?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Still no creation in midfield among the many hordes we have. Our problems lie with the late appointment of Oscar and little time to prepare for him to build the team he wanted

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Our problems lie with the late appointment of Oscar and little time to prepare for him to build the team he wanted

In spite of the hand he was dealt when he came here and the injuries sustained since then I think Oscar is showing great dignity and will eventually come good, given a fit squad.

Imagine Gus in similar circumstances - his toys would be well and truly out of the pram by now.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I thought we looked the better side for most of the game. I was immensely unimpressed by Forest and playing like that they won't be going up this year.

A goal out of the blue from Lansbury and then two shocking defensive errors by Greer in as many minutes and we are dead and buried.

We are relying enormously on LuaLua and to a lesser extent Buckley but the rest are seriously not good enough.

We badly need Ince in there because he gives us more physical presence and from what I've seen he's a better player than Andrews. Either he's injured or done something very wrong to Oscar.

Barnes I felt sorry for. So far out of his depth he must have convinced the board we must get a striker in.

Oh and we are getting well and truly rogered by bad luck at the moment.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
We have a lot of injuries.
We have a promising manager, learning his trade in a very competitive championship.
We are coming off the back of a fantastic season last year when the top teams failed, thise year they are not.
We are, with the players available and our budget finding our level.
If we can pay the bills without imploding, stay up for a few years and beleive in the manager and back room team we will gradually improve enough to make a prolonged decent attempt at promotion.
We waited years and years for somewhere to call home, now we need the same patience to build on our success.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It was an excellent game. Calderon missed a sitter at 1-1 and there was a goal line scramble, where I thought we could/should have had a pen. We were undone by a poor 5 mins. Once they went 3-1 up LuaLua had a purple patch where he was unplayable and his skill got 2 players booked (one sent off) and we possibly should have had another penalty - will need to watch replays.

What stood out was that there was plenty of good play to get to the bylines by both Buckley and KLL but the crosses they put in we're easily dealt with without Leo's presence.

Could be worse. We'll struggle to pick up points in the next 5-6 games, but should have a completely new team by mid December.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here