Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ***Brighton and Hove Albion v Birmingham City, WSL, Amex, 14.00 KO***

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
To answer these specific points:

1. None of the personnel involved in the women's team, are involved in the men's teams, so there's no 'loss of focus' that is going to affect the latter.

2. No money spent on the women's team or facilities, is money that could have been spent on the men's side anyway. It's all completely separate from FFP calculations, so is simply additional money that Tony Bloom wishes to gift the club / city over and above what he is allowed to invest in the men's first team.

I'm calling bollocks on number 2. The thing that is limiting spending money on the men's team isn't FFP. We're not right on the FFP limits. The thing that's limiting the amount we're spending is that TB doesn't want to spend any more. Nor should he have to, it's his money and he's spent plenty. The point being is that we could take the womens budget, whatever it is, and spend it on the men's team and we'd still come within FFP.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do enjoy telling billionaires how they should spend the money they've earned.

I'll hazard a guess Mr NatWest would piss himself laughing if he thought I was handing out financial advise to the Tony Bloom's of this world.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Now that's an argument I can get on board with. I watch anything from school football to non-league to the Albion, and I have never thought any of it was a waste of time.

Watching Palace?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'm calling bollocks on number 2. The thing that is limiting spending money on the men's team isn't FFP. We're not right on the FFP limits. The thing that's limiting the amount we're spending is that TB doesn't want to spend any more. Nor should he have to, it's his money and he's spent plenty. The point being is that we could take the womens budget, whatever it is, and spend it on the men's team and we'd still come within FFP.

I read this then saw your location, and it really must be light years away. But a hello from Planet Earth, if your passing come along to an U23 or Womens game and see how world of the Albion has moved on this century.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When there's only a sprinkling of fans, its not quite such a chore getting away though.

Valid point, and also the majority of the fans there, are not rushing to the craft beer pub in town after the game :D

It was a fun afternoon supporting the Albion in one of it's many forms, and we are so lucky to have this all in place, with yet more to come.

It is a great time to be a Brighton fan, why can't everyone just embrace the change and look forward to a bright future together.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

As I understand it the men's team isn't being used to subsidise the women's game anyway so it wouldn't make any difference. Also I suspect the total amount being spent on the women annually amounts to perhaps the salary of one or two first-team men so in the great scheme of things is pretty insignificant. As with the men's team, there is bound to be a detailed long term strategy and plan for development of the women's team that will likely pay off in the long run (like the academy, which many were bleating about 'producing nothing' and being a 'waste of money' as recently as last season). I can easily see a situation in 5-10 years time where we have the women playing to a full ground of their own (which will be a much-used community facility) every week.

WSL attendances are over 400% up this season on last (accepting this includes the games where main stadia have been used - take those out and they're still almost 50% up which is remarkable). After 5 rounds of matches the cumulative attendance is already higher than the whole of last season. I have no problem at all with anyone who isn't interested - it's essentially a different sport - but anyone thinking the game won't continue to increase in popularity and quality is in denial.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I am entitled to go on and post on any thread I like. A misogynist is someone who hates women, so how can be me saying I've got no interest in women's football make me a women hater? I know the 'in' thing to be into is women's football but its a passing fad.

Then it's been passing a long bloody time. I was refereeing womens football back in late 70s / 80s. Reffing international players at Bucky Park in front of two men and a dog. I recall running the line at Burgess Hill in a WFA Cup Quarter Final (Horsham v Fulham - featuring a certain Hope Powell). For the Horsham players, Burgess Hill Town was like playing at Wembley. Brighton Ladies (at that time with no association with BHAFC) played at Withdean during that period.

So no. It's not a passing fad at all. The womens game has improved no end. Skill levels and fitness have improved beyond all recognition now that the game is fully professional and will continue to thrive with the injection of more money like the £10m investment from Barclays this year.

Where you, and others critical of the womens game, are going wrong is expecting it to be of the same standard as the mens game. That is never going to happen. You also need to consider that our women players earn in a year what most of our first team earn in a week. So you have to get a little bit real and moderate your expectations.

Nobody is asking you to love womens football. I get it that it's not for everybody. But if you can't be supportive of our womens team, and don't buy in to supporting ALL of the club's sides, then try finding other outlets for your snidey comments. Twitter's always a good place to vent and rage.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Then it's been passing a long bloody time. I was refereeing womens football back in late 70s / 80s. Reffing international players at Bucky Park in front of two men and a dog. I recall running the line at Burgess Hill in a WFA Cup Quarter Final (Horsham v Fulham - featuring a certain Hope Powell). For the Horsham players, Burgess Hill Town was like playing at Wembley. Brighton Ladies (at that time with no association with BHAFC) played at Withdean during that period.

So no. It's not a passing fad at all. The womens game has improved no end. Skill levels and fitness have improved beyond all recognition now that the game is fully professional and will continue to thrive with the injection of more money like the £10m investment from Barclays this year.

Where you, and others critical of the womens game, are going wrong is expecting it to be of the same standard as the mens game. That is never going to happen. You also need to consider that our women players earn in a year what most of our first team earn in a week. So you have to get a little bit real and moderate your expectations.

Nobody is asking you to love womens football. I get it that it's not for everybody. But if you can't be supportive of our womens team, and don't buy in to supporting ALL of the club's sides, then try finding other outlets for your snidey comments. Twitter's always a good place to vent and rage.

As i said earlier I'm entitled to post on any thread I like.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I read this then saw your location, and it really must be light years away. But a hello from Planet Earth, if your passing come along to an U23 or Womens game and see how world of the Albion has moved on this century.

So I attended yesterday and i've been to plenty of u23 games in the last few years.

Want to be more specific in your criticisms?

I'm picking a fella up on saying we can't divert the money from womens game to the mens because of FFP. We can. I think I was quite clear that i'm not advocating this, but we could.

You need to re-read and re-think

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
WSL attendances are over 400% up this season on last (accepting this includes the games where main stadia has been used - take those out and they're still almost 50% up which is remarkable). After 5 rounds of matches the cumulative attendance is already higher than the whole of last season. I have no problem at all with anyone who isn't interested - it's essentially a different sport - but anyone thinking the game won't continue to increase in popularity and quality is in denial.

There is a caveat here though. In using the main stadiums, to get these numbers an awful lot of the tickets are free.

Chelsea v Spurs at Stamford Bridge was entirely free. They announced it as a 41k "sellout", but on the day, the actual crowd was 24k. So nearly half were no-shows.

Man City v Man Utd drew 31k, with adults priced at £7 and all kids free.

When Chelsea played Man Utd at Kingsmeadow, the paying crowd was 4,790 - that now stands as the record WSL attendance at a "womens" home ground. Not bad, but thats a more accurate representation of where the womens game is at than these large "occasional" events at PL stadiums with swathes of freebies.

They're trying to grow the sport by giving tickets away, and that'll make for a few big crowds here and there. But thats not a sustainable long term strategy. As it stands the womens professional game is being financially propped up by the mens, and if these free tickets don't convert into regular paying customers, then that will always continue to be the case.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Although I suggested to upgrade part of Lancing to make a small stadium the most obvious place as Withdean and just rent it from the council everybody happy the club doing something, the team getting bigger crowds and BH Council providing something for the town.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There is a caveat here though. In using the main stadiums, to get these numbers an awful lot of the tickets are free.

Chelsea v Spurs at Stamford Bridge was entirely free. They announced it as a 41k "sellout", but on the day, the actual crowd was 24k. So nearly half were no-shows.

Man City v Man Utd drew 31k, with adults priced at £7 and all kids free.

When Chelsea played Man Utd at Kingsmeadow, the paying crowd was 4,790 - that now stands as the record WSL attendance at a "womens" home ground. Not bad, but thats a more accurate representation of where the womens game is at than these large "occasional" events at PL stadiums with swathes of freebies.

They're trying to grow the sport by giving tickets away, and that'll make for a few big crowds here and there. But thats not a sustainable long term strategy. As it stands the womens professional game is being financially propped up by the mens, and if these free tickets don't convert into regular paying customers, then that will always continue to be the case.

True, it might be part of the long term strategy though. Free tickets to get people interested then start charging when they're hooked.....................only time will tell but I think it's only going one way.
High levels of no-shows when tickets are free are bound to happen - by comparison we probably had 20% no-show rate at the Amex v Norwich for people paying £25+ per ticket simply because it was a bit damp.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As I understand it the men's team isn't being used to subsidise the women's game anyway so it wouldn't make any difference. Also I suspect the total amount being spent on the women annually amounts to perhaps the salary of one or two first-team men so in the great scheme of things is pretty insignificant. As with the men's team, there is bound to be a detailed long term strategy and plan for development of the women's team that will likely pay off in the long run (like the academy, which many were bleating about 'producing nothing' and being a 'waste of money' as recently as last season). I can easily see a situation in 5-10 years time where we have the women playing to a full ground of their own (which will be a much-used community facility) every week.

WSL attendances are over 400% up this season on last (accepting this includes the games where main stadia have been used - take those out and they're still almost 50% up which is remarkable). After 5 rounds of matches the cumulative attendance is already higher than the whole of last season. I have no problem at all with anyone who isn't interested - it's essentially a different sport - but anyone thinking the game won't continue to increase in popularity and quality is in denial.

Womens football will probably will increase in popularity mate and I hope it does. It's a million miles away from being financially sustainable though, as we are still giving away tickets.

My main point here is though whilst I think we should continue to support this, diverting, and it would mean diverting, tens of millions and a fair bit of senior exec mental bandwidth to building a stadium, which has got no prospect in the near future of ever being financially sustainable isn't a good idea.

I mean, what is the projected lifespan of this stadium? 50 to 80 years. Do you think we'll be getting £100m premier league payouts all that time? TB is only going to live so long, so to me we shouldn't be taking on a infrastructure which in the foreseeable future has no realistic prospects of covering the running costs let alone paying back the build costs. Man City have the resources of a state so can do it. We don't.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Why bother building a 7500k stadium when despite literally giving tickets away just over 4k attended. Seems pointless. Prefer to see TB invest the money he wastes on the women's team to be spent on the men's. Despite what the right on liberal PC claim football is a low quality monority sport and yeah the BBC are wetting themselves with excitement over the record 'attendances' failing to mention many clubs gave tickets for free. Would be interested to see how many would have bothered to go if was priced at the same level as the men's game.

It's not just for the women to play in - but the entire range of age groups other than the first team. It can also be used for non-league and county/schools/uni showpieces rather than having to open up the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here