Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] ***Brighton and Hove Albion v Birmingham City, WSL, Amex, 14.00 KO***

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
3-0 Kayleigh Green thundering in a header from a le Garrec corner

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It’s a bit of a hard watch mind but I got through the priestfield years so I’ll suck it up and hope in 20 odd years the standards improve hehe

Do Albion not deserve their lead. I need to catch the highlights, brilliant result if we can see it out. Birmingham beat Liverpool 2-0 in the last outing.

Think they have deserved this after getting some poor rub of the greens.

Hope Powell was very humble getting a second game at the AMEX and was so focused on getting this result.

This team is far better than the one that played pre Horton at priestfield.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
4,130 on the BBC website.

Thats good, 10 times more than what the U23's get at the AMEX.

Hope Powell is doing a brillinat job, as Potter is with the mens team.

Blooms dream of having a second stadium so that these teams can build up the fan bases cannot come quick enough.

Still amazing what Bloom has managed to do with all these teams from scratch (all playing in their top flights), come on the Albion.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
4,130 on the BBC website.

Firstly, very well done to the Albion Women for a great performance - their best of the season so far. They were worthy winners and rightly deserve praise.

As regards the 4,130 attendance, when compared with the 5,265 back in April for the last Albion Women's game at the AMEX, that's more than 21% lower.

That's terrible when considering the thousands of free tickets available along with vastly increased media coverage following the WWC.

My thoughts on the prospective Birmingham City attendance back on the WSL West Ham thread:
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?375824-Brighton-Women-next-home-league-match-Sunday-13th-October-at-2pm-vs-West-Ham/page3

It's right to expect that there will be more than 5 or 6 thousand at the Amex, comfortably beating the 5k+ attendance of last season. One would certainly hope that will be the case with thousands of tickets given away for free. Nothing wrong with that as a one-off on a purely marketing basis of course, especially when it comes to encouraging children to attend. However, as well as the overall attendance, it will be interesting to see the paying numbers at the Amex to gauge exactly how popular the demand is for top-flight women's football that is played in Brighton itself.

"Tickets will be available at £3 for adults and £1 for under-18s and over-65s.

If you hold a season ticket at the Amex, you will be able to claim TWO FREE tickets, giving you the chance to bring a guest to the match.

All WSL season ticket holders will be able to claim FOUR FREE tickets, in addition to their own ticket, to bring friends and family to enjoy the game. Please note that you will need to claim a free ticket for yourself to gain entry to the Amex for the match.

Any groups that wish to buy ten or more tickets can do so at a cost of £1 per ticket."

It's an excellent opportunity for Albion season ticket holders to support the women's team at no additional cost, or for larger groups for a quid each.

Let's hope there's a excellent response. With free tickets, there wouldn't be any credible excuse for anything less than that.

It will be interesting to hear the excuses for this poor attendance.

It can't be blamed purely on a marketing fail.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Firstly, very well done to the Albion Women for a great performance - their best of the season so far. They were worthy winners and rightly deserve praise.

As regards the 4,130 attendance, when compared with the 5,265 back in April for the last Albion Women's game at the AMEX, that's more than 21% lower.

That's terrible when considering the thousands of free tickets available along with vastly increased media coverage following the WWC.

My thoughts on the prospective Birmingham City attendance back on the WSL West Ham thread:
https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?375824-Brighton-Women-next-home-league-match-Sunday-13th-October-at-2pm-vs-West-Ham/page3

It's right to expect that there will be more than 5 or 6 thousand at the Amex, comfortably beating the 5k+ attendance of last season. One would certainly hope that will be the case with thousands of tickets given away for free. Nothing wrong with that as a one-off on a purely marketing basis of course, especially when it comes to encouraging children to attend. However, as well as the overall attendance, it will be interesting to see the paying numbers at the Amex to gauge exactly how popular the demand is for top-flight women's football that is played in Brighton itself.

"Tickets will be available at £3 for adults and £1 for under-18s and over-65s.

If you hold a season ticket at the Amex, you will be able to claim TWO FREE tickets, giving you the chance to bring a guest to the match.

All WSL season ticket holders will be able to claim FOUR FREE tickets, in addition to their own ticket, to bring friends and family to enjoy the game. Please note that you will need to claim a free ticket for yourself to gain entry to the Amex for the match.

Any groups that wish to buy ten or more tickets can do so at a cost of £1 per ticket."

It's an excellent opportunity for Albion season ticket holders to support the women's team at no additional cost, or for larger groups for a quid each.

Let's hope there's a excellent response. With free tickets, there wouldn't be any credible excuse for anything less than that.

It will be interesting to hear the excuses for this poor attendance.

It can't be blamed purely on a marketing fail.

Who needs to make excuses?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Who needs to make excuses?

Fair enough.

For the word 'excuses', feel free to substitute 'reasons' or 'explanations'.

Either way, it still doesn't clear up why there's been such a decline since April.

It can't all be put down to the absence of Arsenal Women's travelling support.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Fair enough.

For the word 'excuses', feel free to substitute 'reasons' or 'explanations'.

Either way, it still doesn't clear up why there's been such a decline since April.

It can't all be put down to the absence of Arsenal Women's travelling support.

Forget the travelling support.
Would the Men's team attract a bigger home attendance against Arsenal than Birmingham? The answer is yes of course.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I went there with my daughter - the first WSL game I've been to. Quite different from the normal mens game, with the slower movement from one area of the pitch to another but it was nice to see a different Albion team in action.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Blooms dream of having a second stadium so that these teams can build up the fan bases cannot come quick enough.

I was there today, and enjoyed it.

Does TB really want another stadium? If built from scratch, that would be a huge expense. Surely it would be better to just open small sections of the Amex, like today?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
Do Albion not deserve their lead. I need to catch the highlights, brilliant result if we can see it out. Birmingham beat Liverpool 2-0 in the last outing.

Think they have deserved this after getting some poor rub of the greens.

Hope Powell was very humble getting a second game at the AMEX and was so focused on getting this result.

They obviously were the better team. But they would lose comfortably to the priestfield team on that showing. Liverpool are bottom on 1 point so likely the whipping girls this season

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Forget the travelling support.
Would the Men's team attract a bigger home attendance against Arsenal than Birmingham? The answer is yes of course.

If there was any noticeable difference in interest levels between watching one opponent for Albion Women over another, it would surely have been heavily outweighed by the general increase in the interest in the women's game as a whole, and therefore attendances.

The hard facts are that despite thousands of tickets being available for free, heightened media coverage and only a few months after the WWC, there was a fall of over 1,000 at the AMEX today compared with before. Away from the AMEX, their season average attendance is less than that, only 975. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50308454

In terms of gauging interest levels for the women's game in Brighton and subsequent growth, it could easily be seen as a very disappointing outcome.

Last edited:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I went today with my girl - probably the 4th or 5th time I’ve seen the women’s team play in, say, 5 years or so. My impression is that the standard of football gets a bit better each time. You can see that the physical levels have gone up a notch vs last season. As opponents, Birmingham were toothless, but knocked the ball around with composure. We over-powered them and always looked likely to win.

Despite all this, it is still work in progress. The standard is better but obviously has a way to go. As for the turn out - I agree, slightly disappointing - but not far short of the numbers that went to The Goldstone when things were rock bottom. I know quite a few people who took their kids to the England vs Germany game at Wembley last week - so perhaps a few decided that they had had their quota of games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I went and enjoyed the game.

I think the club did everything right, re marketing the game. My advice would be to keep plugging away with the Amex games, the fan base will build. It will take time

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Do you really believe that?
When I’ve seen them (twice now), it’s barely comparable to County League.

I think it will improve and the fan base will continue to grow, but it will take time.

Anyway, great win.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here