Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt To Forest

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm glad to just look up Buckley's highlights whilst playing for Brighton. Some quality play and finishing, but mainly i wanted to know which game it was that had Bruno floating a dream ball through for Buckley to control and finish. Sheffield Wednesday were our opponents, but it sticks to my heart as a moment of pure class from Bruno, to have a right back playing such a pass, reading the run, and then Buckley neatly finishing. A shame that it looked so beyond him in the top flight, for Buckley.

Bridcutt, from that photo, looks somewhat maniacal. He was an excellent little battler, but maybe the game moved on at that time to not be able to accept a defensive midfielder with a lack of ball control, certainly in the big league at least.

I hope they get a little joy from trying to madly overturn things at Bolton.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[MENTION=26309]Bolton va va[/MENTION] while you're on (if you still are), are Bolton going to get any further sanctions for arbitrarily binning off that fixture with Doncaster by just informing everyone on their social media a couple of days before the game ? I'd assume they'd be getting another points deduction. Not that it'll make much difference this season, as its clearly already a write-off.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
[MENTION=26309]Bolton va va[/MENTION] while you're on (if you still are), are Bolton going to get any further sanctions for arbitrarily binning off that fixture with Doncaster by just informing everyone on their social media a couple of days before the game ? I'd assume they'd be getting another points deduction. Not that it'll make much difference this season, as its clearly already a write-off.

We're still waiting to hear what sanctions we'll get for calling off a ( Brentford ) game at the end of last season because the players went on strike & the EFL wouldn't allow us to field the youth team for fears for their welfare.

This season we've largely been playing with the youth team - resulting in us losing the last 3 games 0-5 & not scoring a league goal so far this season - but playing 2 games a week against adult professionals was killing them. The physical difference is stark, several were injured & it was a fair decision to call off the Doncaster game.......but not informing Doncaster first was pisspoor. The reasoning/excuse was that the EFL would not have allowed us to call the game off despite their concerns last season,so the sanction would be less for calling it off, off our own bat rather than ignoring an EFL ruling.

Either way, yes, we're waiting for further points deductions but have been given no timescale by the EFL who've possibly been waiting for the takeover to be completed. ( we could argue that it's harsh for the almost entirely new owners, management & players to be punished for the crimes of the previous regime, but I don't think that'll wash :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We're still waiting to hear what sanctions we'll get for calling off a ( Brentford ) game at the end of last season because the players went on strike & the EFL wouldn't allow us to field the youth team for fears for their welfare.

This season we've largely been playing with the youth team - resulting in us losing the last 3 games 0-5 & not scoring a league goal so far this season - but playing 2 games a week against adult professionals was killing them. The physical difference is stark, several were injured & it was a fair decision to call off the Doncaster game.......but not informing Doncaster first was pisspoor. The reasoning/excuse was that the EFL would not have allowed us to call the game off despite their concerns last season,so the sanction would be less for calling it off, off our own bat rather than ignoring an EFL ruling.

Either way, yes, we're waiting for further points deductions but have been given no timescale by the EFL who've possibly been waiting for the takeover to be completed. ( we could argue that it's harsh for the almost entirely new owners, management & players to be punished for the crimes of the previous regime, but I don't think that'll wash :)

I can see the reasons, and being as Bury were having games suspended left, right and centre at the time I guess thats why they felt it was a viable option. Although as you say, it was rather pisspoor how they went about it. Its unbelievable how they still haven't sanctioned last seasons no-show at Brentford - I'd assumed they'd be awarded a 3-0 win, with a 3 point deduction for BWFC. Its just fortunate that game happened to be a total dead rubber for both clubs and didn't really matter, but there must surely be a punishment for that as well, otherwise it sets all kinds of precedents.

Anyway, cheers for the reply and good luck for the season, I'm genuinely happy and relieved on your behalf that such a grand old club has lived to fight another day. As I said earlier, this season looks like being a total write-off, but at least it looks like there is now a future, and hopefully your new owners will plan prudently for the long term so you can properly rebuild, even it it does start in L2. If there are to be more points deductions for the Brentford and Doncaster games, then maybe its best to "get it out of the way" this season, and start afresh.

Fining you would seem ridiculously perverse.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Gus’ ‘reached the ceiling’ line only applied to his, Buckley and Bridcutt’s career.

And the Albion's for a few years until we decided to open the purse strings again.

In fairness to Gus, his team was being broken up, and replaced with greatly inferior players until the shock of finding ourselves at the bottom end of The Championship meant that once Hughton had steadied the ship, we began to build again from that summer. But the plans that lay ahead of us when Gus said that, made it fair comment. But if you can't see where Gus was coming from, knowing what he knew about plans for the squad for the next year or two, then I think you are just ignoring what we all saw. Or in your mind do we go straight from Gus going, to signing Knockaert, and everything in between was just a bad dream?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And the Albion's for a few years until we decided to open the purse strings again.

In fairness to Gus, his team was being broken up, and replaced with greatly inferior players until the shock of finding ourselves at the bottom end of The Championship meant that once Hughton had steadied the ship, we began to build again from that summer. But the plans that lay ahead of us when Gus said that, made it fair comment. But if you can't see where Gus was coming from, knowing what he knew about plans for the squad for the next year or two, then I think you are just ignoring what we all saw. Or in your mind do we go straight from Gus going, to signing Knockaert, and everything in between was just a bad dream?

Things started going wrong when David Burke came in, Garcia resigned because of it, as did Hyypia (although he was failing anyway) and so Burke was sacked before Hughton would take over. Recruitment was poor.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Things started going wrong when David Burke came in, Garcia resigned because of it, as did Hyypia (although he was failing anyway) and so Burke was sacked before Hughton would take over. Recruitment was poor.

One would question if it’s improved Aj , Locadia now Andone
We are now left in the premier league with a 36year old a championship player yet to prove he has what it takes and a promising youngster to keep us up ,I’m not convinced it has

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One would question if it’s improved Aj , Locadia now Andone
We are now left in the premier league with a 36year old a championship player yet to prove he has what it takes and a promising youngster to keep us up ,I’m not convinced it has

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree to some point because there is now more than one level, with Winstanley, Ashworth and Potter's own man.

An improvement from Augustien, Harley, and Bergkamp.

Edit Bergkamp was Stephenson's choice, and he suddenly disappeared after not settling on the south coast all the way from Watford. :facepalm:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The best thing that could happen is that Bolton get a large points deduction (say 15 points), with immediate effect for failing to complete a fixture.

Precedent is set. You have to be able to complete your fixtures. You're down anyway and can spend the rest of the season getting their house in order and start again from League 2 next season. The whole of English football will wish you well.

As an aside, I can’t actually see what physical effects an 18 yo can get (psychological maybe) from playing against adults. Yes, maybe a few bruises, but there’s still a referee to enforce the rules of the game and to ensure the players safety. I’m sure it would be tough for them, but dangerous?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Yep, and for those years, it most definitely looked like we had hit our ceiling and come crashing down. That's about as far into the future you can really look in football. We didn't like to hear it, but Gus had a point.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yep, and for those years, it most definitely looked like we had hit our ceiling and come crashing down. That's about as far into the future you can really look in football. We didn't like to hear it, but Gus had a point.
No he didn't. It was 1 of the most disrespectful statements I've heard from a Brighton manager, and he should have been sacked on the spot.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I'm glad to just look up Buckley's highlights whilst playing for Brighton. Some quality play and finishing, but mainly i wanted to know which game it was that had Bruno floating a dream ball through for Buckley to control and finish. Sheffield Wednesday were our opponents, but it sticks to my heart as a moment of pure class from Bruno, to have a right back playing such a pass, reading the run, and then Buckley neatly finishing. A shame that it looked so beyond him in the top flight, for Buckley.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgY2cvE8fTo

1 minute in :thumbsup:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Bolton are not down yet - their team is very competitive now, some really good players for League 1 have been signed. And they've got a brilliant manager in Keith Hill, I think there's a good chance they'll be staying up.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
The best thing that could happen is that Bolton get a large points deduction (say 15 points), with immediate effect for failing to complete a fixture.

Precedent is set. You have to be able to complete your fixtures. You're down anyway and can spend the rest of the season getting their house in order and start again from League 2 next season. The whole of English football will wish you well.

As an aside, I can’t actually see what physical effects an 18 yo can get (psychological maybe) from playing against adults. Yes, maybe a few bruises, but there’s still a referee to enforce the rules of the game and to ensure the players safety. I’m sure it would be tough for them, but dangerous?

Previously I might have agreed about playing youngsters but having seen it, I've changed my mind. Integrating one or two young players into an established team is completely different to fielding a team with a majority of kids - one game we had no senior players - & it was clear that they couldn't physically compete, men against boys & injuries were taking their toll. The Doncaster game would have been their 4th game in 11 days which was too much.......the EFL should recognise that.

Although we're almost certainly already down, there is a glimmer of hope & still something to play for. What would a further 15 point deduction achieve ? ...the game wasn't called off for fun & will be played later.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Previously I might have agreed about playing youngsters but having seen it, I've changed my mind. Integrating one or two young players into an established team is completely different to fielding a team with a majority of kids - one game we had no senior players - & it was clear that they couldn't physically compete, men against boys & injuries were taking their toll. The Doncaster game would have been their 4th game in 11 days which was too much.......the EFL should recognise that.

Although we're almost certainly already down, there is a glimmer of hope & still something to play for. What would a further 15 point deduction achieve ? ...the game wasn't called off for fun & will be played later.

I'm going with 3 mates to see your game versus Sunderland on the 21st I think. Looking forward to seeing Buckley and Bridcutt again. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
I'm going with 3 mates to see your game versus Sunderland on the 21st I think. Looking forward to seeing Buckley and Bridcutt again. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Supporting Sunderland ?? We're expecting quite a few mackems, but unusually for Bolton, we mostly get on well with them.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Nah, rooting for Bolton, my mate is a fan.

Great stuff, you're very welcome & it could be a lively day as the 1st Saturday home game for the new owners, managers & most of the players, plus a big away support.

The North or East stands are both good ....the West stand is a bit quiet !!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Great stuff, you're very welcome & it could be a lively day as the 1st Saturday home game for the new owners, managers & most of the players, plus a big away support.

The North or East stands are both good ....the West stand is a bit quiet !!

Really looking forward to it. My 67 year old mate has been a Bolton fan since the days of Nat Lofthouse but he has never been to see them at home. I take / took him regularly to the Amex to see them play the Albion. We ( the rest of us ) decided that instead of being a glory hunting armchair fan he should drive us up to a Trotters game but only when the rest of us aren't at the Amex for an Albion home game. I've been in touch with the ticket office to make sure getting in won't be an issue and to inquire where would be the best place to watch from.East stand it's going to be then! Obviously the chance to see Buckley and Bridcutt as well is the icing on the cake for me. Come on you Whites!!!

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Really looking forward to it. My 67 year old mate has been a Bolton fan since the days of Nat Lofthouse but he has never been to see them at home. I take / took him regularly to the Amex to see them play the Albion. We ( the rest of us ) decided that instead of being a glory hunting armchair fan he should drive us up to a Trotters game but only when the rest of us aren't at the Amex for an Albion home game. I've been in touch with the ticket office to make sure getting in won't be an issue and to inquire where would be the best place to watch from.East stand it's going to be then! Obviously the chance to see Buckley and Bridcutt as well is the icing on the cake for me. Come on you Whites!!!

There must be a good story as to why a 67 year old Bolton fan has never been to a home game......I'd guess he must have a Bolton connection.

The East Stand lower is down the side & any seats from halfway up give a good view but avoid being under the scoreboard at the South end, it's where the kids go,....the ticket office people will understand.

If you're staying over, there's a hotel at the ground, though there's not much else around there apart from the ground. Oddly, Horwich itself has a good number of well regarded eating places & a couple of real/craft ale bars if that's your thing.

& there's 2 more ex-Brighton players with us - O'Grady & Wright, if they're all playing, you'll probably recognise the Bolton team better than me !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here