Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Thread on the Sunderland forum claiming a source at Brighton with links to Newcastle united claimed Bridcutt refused to play yesterday to force a move

Well that 'source' is talking sh*t then

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
FFP is not based on cash receipts though. Given that when the Albion announce their results there will be stadium depreciation in for the first time (£4-5 million possibly), plus the wage costs of PIG, Ulloa, Crofts, Upson, all of whom will be on serious wedge, plus possibly any payoff to Gus and co, then our losses will be eye watering and will make last season's £9 million look like chicken feed.

I'll bow to your superior football finance knowledge but aren't capital investment costs (eg stadium building and subsequent depreciation) exempt from FFP; besides a separate company owns the Amex anyway doesn't it?

Also, I'd have hoped that the current management set-up would've offered contracts to the above players that wouldn't require others to be sold to meet the FFP requirements.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'll bowto your superior football finance knowledge but aren't capital investment costs (eg stadium building and subsequent depreciation) excempt from FFP; besides a separate company owns the Amex anyway doesn't it?

Also, I'd have hoped that the current management set-up would've offered contracts to the above players that wouldn't require others to be sold to meet the FFP requirements.

FFP profit is different to the accounts lodged by the club, but the holding company will show both the stadium and other costs, so you are right.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I really hope you're not wrong. 5M for a defensive midfield player that isn't that suited to OG's style of play is an outstanding fee.

Well i did not want to be lambasted on the threads. 5M is what i was told, weeks ago the deal was done.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
In the event of Bridcutt going, he will obviously be missed as he is a very good player. However, the rapid emergence of Rohan Ince this season would mean it would not be as catastrophic as might have been expected a few months ago. Ince has become the engine room in midfield in a very short space of time and will surely only get better.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't see why they want him that much, if it was Ulloa or Buckley who have the ability to score goals and change games then fair enough but Bridcutt is an unproven Premier League water carrier. Not the type of player I would sign if I wanted players to stay up

When Gus kept us up in his first season here, the first thing he did was sort out the defence. He probably thinks Bridcutt can protect the back four. It's fairly obvious that Bridcutt wants to go.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Can't see why they want him that much, if it was Ulloa or Buckley who have the ability to score goals and change games then fair enough but Bridcutt is an unproven Premier League water carrier. Not the type of player I would sign if I wanted players to stay up

Exactly although I am sure given time he will be a very good prem player, but time is not what Sunderland have

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He probably could and to be honest I dont think its a great singing for Sunderland given the position when ideally you would want players who are proven in the prem, although if the deal does go though I hope I am mistaken.
No that's right, spunking millions on proven prem players is definitely the way forward for teams staring certain relegation in the face.

In all seriousness, he'll do a reasonable job for a low end prem team like yourselves. Nowt flash, but does the nuts and bolts of the game to a good standard.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
When Gus kept us up in his first season here, the first thing he did was sort out the defence. He probably thinks Bridcutt can protect the back four. It's fairly obvious that Bridcutt wants to go.

And unlike the player currently filling that role at Sunderland, he is unlikely to be serving suspensions every other week.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I appreciate that Bridders has a very good relationship with Gus but does he really want to join a club that'll be back in the Championship next season?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
No that's right, spunking millions on proven prem players is definitely the way forward for teams staring certain relegation in the face.

In all seriousness, he'll do a reasonable job for a low end prem team like yourselves. Nowt flash, but does the nuts and bolts of the game to a good standard.

Its one of those situations where whatever you do is wrong - experience is journeyman = may not do it, youth is inexperience = may not do it!

If he does sign and manage to do what you think then that will be more than enough

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The problem for Brighton may well be how they are paid for him, most transfers now include a long repayment period. It may well be that the fee is lower than many want on here if it is 100% cash upfront meaning Brighton can use the money straight away and not have to wait for 12/24 months?

Not sure I understand the logic because what makes you think that Brighton always pay fees up front rather than in installments?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I guess signing Bridcutt could allow Ki to play in a more advanced position where he can create more.

Ki is currently our main man in the middle and really needs to be allowed a more free forward role so a holding mid that can be trusted would really help with that, but I think it sign BC Sunderland also needs to sign Ki

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Not sure I understand the logic because what makes you think that Brighton always pay fees up front rather than in installments?

Say you want to sign a player from a team that is in dire straights and needs cash up front, then having the cash now allows that without only been able to do the deal with them in installments, which would make the deal unacceptable for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports