Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brianna Ghey murder.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
You’d think the son of immigrants of Indian descent who grew up in the 80s and 90s would be able to remember a childhood where he was almost certainly called any number of racist slurs and would have even the most basic semblance of compassion for targeted groups and how horrible it can be, especially as a teenager.

He’s the human definition of pulling the ladder up behind you. It’s not socially acceptable to call people p*kis anymore so why would he care about who is being targeted now?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
And also this from wiki:

• Transvestite should not be confused with transgender (see that term for more); transvestites are often happy with their gender and have no desire to change their sex, but simply enjoy being able to cross-dress from time to time. When speaking of to or about an individual who identifies as transgender, the term transvestite is typically seen as derogatory.

I've edited my previous posts to include the transgender, as I think it is helpful to point out that "trans" seems to be being used to cover several quite separate and unrelated groupings.

Your other link was quite informative, and I'm glad to see that there isn't really any rights issues, with the possible exception in relation to the use of female only spaces, in this country at least.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
you’ve posted three awful incidents above. obviously the perpetrators in these cases are vile individuals who need to be jailed.

if we are going to legislate on restricting bathroom access for trans people, however, the statistical evidence needs to show that trans people pose an inherent risk by being allowed to use the bathroom of their gender identity, for example. the evidence does not show this, in fact it shows the opposite.

even in any data which potentially demonstrates a higher than average offending rate from male-to-female transgender people, the question has to be asked about where female-to-male transgender people fit into the equation, if we are then going to legislate on this. or are they just collateral?
I'm not particularly arguing for specifics, every situation needs to be looked at on merit.

You've drilled down into a specific scenario which is probably the easiest to reach a consensus on and I'm not going to argue against any of those studies.

I do take issue with people throwing around labels like bigot and transphobe at anyone who tries to highlight genuine problems created by self identification. The situations I posted are all a result of the trans lobby not being willing to acknowledge biological sex, and not acknowledging situations where women are vulnerable, even if that's from predatory men who want to exploit the system.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The issue is we have both the only two realistic parties of government turning into each other policy-wise because they are both targeting a small sliver of extremely rightwing voters who they think decides general elections.

The rest of us are just f***ed in wanting any kind of alternative to how the country is run currently as all that is left for us to do is useless protest votes for small parties that get annihilated under the first past the post system. It's a joke democracy, however you vote at the next General Election, the same set of policies running the country presently will win whatever happens and there is nothing the British people can do about it if the elites have stitched up both main parties
You really think that Starmer is going after extremely right wing voters? I don't see that myself. The election will be decided by swing voters, not those entrenched in their views, whether they are on the left or right.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You really think that Starmer is going after extremely right wing voters? I don't see that myself. The election will be decided by swing voters, not those entrenched in their views, whether they are on the left or right.
probably fair guess that many "red wall" voters are socially conservative, and not comfortable with some changes to society and culture that appear somewhat abruptly.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
EDIT: Brianna’s dad has indeed said he’s upset by sunak’s comments so nothing to see here …

This post is not a defence of Sunak, who is the latest in a long line of crap, careerist PMs.
Good riddance to him later this year.

It is questioning the social media hysteria about what Sunak said.

Some questions :
Did Sunak actually make a slur against trans people? It sounded to me like a slur against what he sees as starmer’s fence sitting.

Is there any evidence Brianna’s mum was offended by what sunak said?
If she has spoken out , then I do get the outcry. If not , is the world being offended on her behalf?

Was she actually there?

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Did Sunak actually make a slur against trans people? It sounded to me like a slur against what he sees as starmer’s fence sitting.
The video in that tweet was cut weirdly, but it sounded like Sunak was questioning whether Starmer knew how to define a woman? I thought he'd already said 'adult female' back in July?

All very odd.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
This post is not a defence of Sunak, who is the latest in a long line of crap, careerist PMs.

Some questions :

If she has spoken out , then I do get the outcry. If not , is the world being offended on her behalf?

Was she actually there?
The father of murdered teenager Brianna Ghey has demanded Rishi Sunak apologise after the prime minister made a jibe at the expense of transgender people just after being told Brianna’s mother was watching him in the House of Commons.

After the exchanges, at prime minister’s questions, Brianna’s father, Peter Spooner, called Sunak’s comments “absolutely dehumanising”.

“For the prime minister of our country to come out with degrading comments like he did, regardless of them being in relation to discussions in parliament, they are absolutely dehumanising.

“Identities of people should not be used in that manner, and I personally feel shocked by his comments and feel he should apologise for his remarks,” he told Sky News.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Some questions :

Was she actually there?
He used trans people as a punchline in a political dig. On a day when the mum of a murdered trans person was on the parliamentary estate.

She was on the estate but turned up on the gallery 15 mins into pmqs so missed the dig by seconds

She asked to meet starmer afterwards. She hasnt made a public comment. Brianna's father has however asked for an apology this evening

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
He used trans people as a punchline in a political dig. On a day when the mum of a murdered trans person was on the parliamentary estate.

She was on the estate but turned up on the gallery 15 mins into pmqs so missed the dig by seconds

She asked to meet starmer afterwards. She hasnt made a public comment. Brianna's father has however asked for an apology this evening
Okay, I understand now, Sunak was referring to Starmer's earlier 99.9% of woman don't have a penis comment from April.

Still very odd, seems like a storm in a teacup to me, though given the context of who was expected to be present I can see why people might assume it wasn't just a dig at Starmer.

I don't really see why having an evolving position on a subject is even a problem to be honest. If we don't allow ourselves or our politicians to properly consider matters how do we ever expect to work towards equitable outcomes?

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Okay, I understand now, Sunak was referring to Starmer's earlier 99.9% of woman don't have a penis comment from April.

Still very odd, seems like a storm in a teacup to me.
Trying politics of division would be like taking the mickey out of pitbulls in front of the family of the family of the woman killed by 2 xl bullies this week.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Not just the Tories, but the whole house is a bunch of clowns. Keep this absurd trans debate out of politics, for f*** sake.

"Later, Mr Sunak ignored a call from Labour MP Liz Twist to "apologise to Brianna Ghey's mother""

Brianna Ghey's mother has a lot more to be concerned about rather than your pathetic political point scoring. Why involve her?? Absolute wankers the lot of them.

Politics is broken. The trans debate is bizarre and largely irrelevant. A teenager has been murdered - it has nothing to do with politics and their gender is irrelevant to all of it.

Definitely not voting Labour. Definitely not voting Tories. Wankers the lot of them.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Politics is broken. The trans debate is bizarre and largely irrelevant. A teenager has been murdered - it has nothing to do with politics and their gender is irrelevant to all of it.
Largely agree with your post, I find this issue and how much weight it's given bizzare too. However, it is being politicised, very much by one side of the spectrum, presumably as there is seen to be a large amount of political capital by doing so.

IMO, in this regard, both sides are not the same.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Not just ‘swing’ voters. It will equally be decided by those disenfranchised from their natural party as it lurches towards the centre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here