Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian McDermott or nigel adkins?

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Neither of those are what we need. Wait and see if Gus beats 10th then look and see if the squad's improved on last season. If yes to both then keep him if no get somebody BETTER than those 2 muppets in or keep Gus

Pretty much this! An improvement on last season will indicate progression, a steady progression that one would hope/expect to result in a playoff spot or better next season.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it's hilarious when critics say that our team is good enough to get promoted & that it's Poyet's fault that we're not in the top 2 yet.
Who got this team together?

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You are very funny, registered in 2011, you start this thread with the subject about whether we want McDermott or Adkins and you think I'm the fool? Presume a day off school had left you all frustrated.

Ha ha, he's married with Children, has a profession and has been going to the Albion for over 20 years. But please don't let that get in the way of your futile jibes.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Unfortunately your timing of this post has left you wide open for attack from the tinted spectacles brigade. Isn't it amazing how so many of them know how old you are, that you're a new Brighton fan and that you've never watched football before? They're all smarting from the latest poor display and rather than vent their anger at Gus they take it out on the newest poster with a small post count.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Ha ha, he's married with Children, has a profession and has been going to the Albion for over 20 years. But please don't let that get in the way of your futile jibes.

Careful mate you only joined on here in 2010... you MUST be a JCL. HA HA.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think it's hilarious when critics say that our team is good enough to get promoted & that it's Poyet's fault that we're not in the top 2 yet.
Who got this team together?

It's not hilarious at all, and I have a very real example as to why based on a conversation I've just had with a Bristol Rovers fan two minutes ago.

McGhee built the current Rovers team and under his stewardship they were heading out of the Football League this season. John Ward has come in and transformed that same group of players who have largely been in promotion-winning form ever since.

In short, it seems there are managers who do have an eye for a player, and how to shape what should be a good team, but then struggle to get the best out of those players on the pitch itself. I'm not saying Poyet is one of those, but your 'hilarious' point is wide of the mark.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's not hilarious at all, and I have a very real example as to why based on a conversation I've just had with a Bristol Rovers fan two minutes ago.

McGhee built the current Rovers team and under his stewardship they were heading out of the Football League this season. John Ward has come in and transformed that same group of players who have largely been in promotion-winning form ever since.

In short, it seems there are managers who do have an eye for a player, and how to shape what should be a good team, but then struggle to get the best out of those players on the pitch itself. I'm not saying Poyet is one of those, but your 'hilarious' point is wide of the mark.

I'd agree with that

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

There we have it. The reason why Poyet is useless without Denis Wise. He thinks Oatway can be that person, but whatever people think of Wise, he is a winner, and proved it time and again at a high level.

It was the same with Brian Clough and Peter Taylor. They were the perfect partnership.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Because its not the first time i have thought that Poyet is not the manager to get us to the prem, simple really.
All the same you can see why people thought it WAS a knee-jerk reaction can't you? If you'd posted it before the game you would have got a bit more respect, after all if he's the wrong man one result is neither here nor there.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
That if Ulloa hadn't come good we would have dropped 2 points to a very poor team at home.

My point refers to "Knee Jerk Reactions". Huddersfield was at the end of a good run.

I don't recall anyone calling for any heads after that game. I was under the impression that everyone was happy with life. Some were even talking about automatic promotion (not a feeling I shared).

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
sure..i agree...but as we both know..football has a habit of biting ya bum :)
we just havent been consistent enough

And that is the crux of the matter.

When the going gets tough, or the weather is cold and miserable, this team are nowhere to be seen. Warm weather, nice pitches, no pressure at the start of the season - we are up there. Cold weather and pressure starting to build with expectations - the team bottle it! Generalising obviously, but apart from the odd rougue result either way, the story of the last two seasons.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Poyet has none! Add to that the FACT that he does not have what it takes to get a team promoted to the Premiership, what does their premiership record have to do with anything?

Promotion to the Premiership remains a massive hurdle for us as a club.

'a massive hurdle??

Easy tiger.
Trying for less than 2 years (and was it really the main goal last season) and currently sitting 1 point outside the play offs with 9 games to go, hardly massive.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
And that is the crux of the matter.

When the going gets tough, or the weather is cold and miserable, this team are nowhere to be seen. Warm weather, nice pitches, no pressure at the start of the season - we are up there. Cold weather and pressure starting to build with expectations - the team bottle it! Generalising obviously, but apart from the odd rougue result either way, the story of the last two seasons.

I dont go with the warm weather bit seems a bit stereotyping (spanish players/spain/warm)..but i do get your point..l dont agree re last season..we were punching above our weight with that run of games..anyone who was watching before the Saints game would have been delighted we actually stayed in the division, as we were in danger of sliding down the league..i'm thinking Coventry away.

This season rightly expectations are higher..but maybe too high although if we dont remain in contention for tht play off place until the end of the season i will be disappointed....going back to your point last night re english players....the 2 in the middle are english (well one seems scottish it seems) and they are the 2 we would rely upon to pull the team up on days like last night and say last tuesday...it does seem as if we lack some 'championship' nous for those games that just just need to battle..keep it tight and nick the odd goal

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
All the same you can see why people thought it WAS a knee-jerk reaction can't you? If you'd posted it before the game you would have got a bit more respect, after all if he's the wrong man one result is neither here nor there.

Point taken, but i find it amazing that so many people find it hard see that playing only ONE way in this division is not going to get us promoted, also the way gus is always touting himself to bigger clubs shows a total lack of class in my opinion. But my biggest problem is the myth that we play attractive passing football! we dont, we play very one dimentional low tempo football and just how that is veiwed as 'the right way to play the game'?

Take a look up the road and see what can be done in this division if you DO play with a fast tempo, with quick wingers, if Murray was in this team he would'nt have 15 goals nevermind 30!

But people can say what they like, i call it how i see it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here