Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brez, Casper or new goalkeeper?

Brez, Casper or a new keeper?

• Brez: should be No1 after todays performance/ or atleast giving more games in Jan.

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • Casper: just hand a bad 1st part of the season but will bounce back this half.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • New keeper: one is needed asap, Casper has been poor & Brez was just lucky today.

Votes: 66 57.9%

• Total voters

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Double save was outstanding. One weak punch, a poor parry and should have come for a cross on six yard line in second half but def in front of Casper on that performance.

Agree with that. Overall a good game but a couple of dodgy moments. Would still definitely like a new keeper asap with Brez as number 2

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
You can bet any money you like that when brez has a bad game and is dropped for ankeran, casper will play out of his skin ! Shame neither can do it consistently. So for that reason we do need another keeper

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Playing Brez was a fantastic idea, Saints are well known for scoring from Lambert headers and crosses from the side - Brez is excellent from crosses.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Brezovan did well today but thewriting is on the wall. First choice keeper Ankergren dropped twice in about 8 weeks, third choice sent out on loan that signals to me that a new keeper is on his way here.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I think that Brezovan did well today but thewriting is on the wall. First choice keeper Ankergren dropped twice in about 8 weeks, third choice sent out on loan that signals to me that a new keeper is on his way here.

You are talking shit as usual get behind our team and give Brezovan credit for contributing to todays amazing result by keeping a clean sheet against the league leaders he deserves the shirt, we have a good keeper lets not make the same mistake as we made with Glenn .

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
TBH after todays game I really was surprised on how well Brez played, after not playing for so long also at starting against the top of the league team.

so after todays performance how does your own feelings for the goalie situation stand? Brez is the new no1, Casper should still be infront of the post or neither should be there and a new keeper is needed?

I think Gus will play Brez for a few more games & see how he does, if he plays solid like today then I hope he will save the money and stick with him & maybe buy someone at the end of the season. But if he was just lucky today and we leak 2 or 3 goals most of the games then he should buy a new keeper.

poll to follow.

No brainer give Brezovan the shirt he is up to the challenge why waste money on a gamble when we have 6 foot 6 Brezoman. BRING ON THE BREZOMAN he was fcuking brilliant today

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
I reckon that had Brezovan not broken his (wrist?) before the 10/11 season started, when we brought in Poke and then Ankergren, he would have been first choice all season. Ankergren had a great season last year, and so was hard to displace. Brezovan's chances have been mostly limited to cup games against either harder than normal opposition or behind a weakened team. Not all of them, but most. Today he played pretty well, a seven or eight out of ten in my books, and so I think we should play him in the next few games, see it he can keep up the performances, but have a few keepers scouted in case he isn't up for it.

I'm pleased for him, well done Gus for gambling.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I guess you have to stick with Brez after today! 1 weak punch but his overall handling was spot on. So refreshing to have a keeper who comes out to claim the ball. Oh, and that double save, f¥#k me that was impressive even though the whistle had gone!

Gus was afraid you could really challenge him, hence the radical line up today.

Oh and This to the post.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Think back a couple of years. Gus brought Brezovan in. Initially he looked a bit shaky but as time went on he got better and better. Then he got an injury so Gus got Casper in. Today Brez looked like he did when in his good form before Casper came. If he can keep that form he is a much better keeper than Casper so I say give him a chance. He certainly looked the part today.

I know Casper has his critics but Brez is not the answer. He makes one or two howlers a game, today both the ones he made went unpunished but we can't rely on poor finishing from opponents to keep a clean sheet.

If Gus wants to relieve Casper of duties we need someone new, Exeter (debut), Wycombe, Spurs , Stoke all come to mind as examples of his poor judgement or ball control.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You are talking shit as usual get behind our team and give Brezovan credit for contributing to todays amazing result by keeping a clean sheet against the league leaders he deserves the shirt, we have a good keeper lets not make the same mistake as we made with Glenn .

Brezovan played well today but 1 swallow doesnt make a summer and we all know of how he has faired in the past.

My reasoning is that you do not drop your first choice keeper twice in 8 weeks unless you have concerns. Having done that and brought in a loanee it is obvious that you are not convinced by the no2 Then sending out the No 3 on loan gives the impression that the first 2 are not good enough and that you are going to bring in a another man not as back up as you could have kept your number 3 for that. So I think Gus is lining up a keeper to bring in but we shall have to wait and see and in the meantime hope that Brezovan continues as he did today.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Spot on BG! I think nothing is more certain than we will have Harper back if he will come or some other Premiership third choice keeper on loan before the end of January.

xLostprophet

Aug 31, 2011
Brighton
I gotta say (& I wasn't his biggest fan!) that Brez was immense yesterday!

I think goalkeeping is very much a confidence thing and therefore Gus should stick with Brez, as Casper hasn't looked confident for quite a while now.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Any keeper that has been out of the side for as long as Brez will have a few wobbles in their first few games back. I would keep SpiderBrez between the sticks for the next few weeks, whilst keeping an eye out to see if any other keepers are available - just in case.

dac1980

Sep 20, 2011
Brez to me doesn't look comfortable, he is an amazing shot stopper but the rest of his game is very suspect and I was very nervous everytime the ball went near him yesterday, especially with the ball at his feet. Late in the second half, he tried to play a short goal kick to cook and it went out for a throw in no where near cook, looked like he had never kicked a ball in his life. He was never aware of any of the saints players closing him down and takes way too long to decide what to do.

Near the end of the game he took a catch, great and confident but insted of holding on to the ball for a few seconds for the players to re shape and to waste a bit of time lobs the ball to grant hill on the edge of the D with saints players in farily near proximity, got away with it.

Don't get me wrong, nobody is perfect and i hope these are the things that Gus etc use for him to progress. I think there was a distinct plan early on in the game for all goal kicks to go long instead of playing short to centre backs that had pulled wide as normal or in short to bridders, don't remember a single time he picked the ball up of Brez in that situation wheras he normally gets a few a game. Once again, not necesserilly a bad thing given we have conceded a few goals through mess ups playing it out that way.

Brez, to me is another Gomes, can't fault his shot stopping but still could work a bit on his crossing, a little bit lightweight and defo on his kicking.

Hard to call between Brez and Casper but Brez deserves a run after the errors Casper has made of late, maybe a new keeper at some point?!

Good luck Brez, it's a hard job to do, such a magnified position and the smallest mistake can have the biggest consequences.

BTW Loved the Saints marching out early, shame we didn't get a rendition of "when the saints go marching out" going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here