Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brez, Casper or new goalkeeper?

Brez, Casper or a new keeper?

• Brez: should be No1 after todays performance/ or atleast giving more games in Jan.

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • Casper: just hand a bad 1st part of the season but will bounce back this half.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • New keeper: one is needed asap, Casper has been poor & Brez was just lucky today.

Votes: 66 57.9%

• Total voters

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sign Up the keeper from Hull, to be fair it was only one game, but he was tremendous against us. I'm pretty sure he is sat on Hulls bench at the moment to.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whenever this topic comes up I say the same thing; there isn't a lot to choose between brez and casper overall. One of casper's strengths is his comfort with the ball at his feet in the area, and on of Brez's apparent weaknesses is with the ball at his feet in the area. The style we played last season required our keeper to do that well, so of course casper was the obvious choice. I also always point out how few competitive games brezovan has played since the end of the 2009/10 season (yesterday was his 10th competitive game - if you include the two games after we won the league and went without el abd and murray, gave navarro a game after so long out injured as 'competitive').

Brezovan needs a run in the team for us to truly judge him, and if playing with the ball at his feet really is a weakness, or just a style he isn't quite used to and hasn't had a long enough run of games to get comfortable with it (I remember Casper el abd and elphick being quite iffy early last season). I have to say, he did look much more comfortable There was one moment when he lingered a la casper, and was eventually closed down and the crowd were a little concerned, but I imagine that was just cause it was him. Having said that, that was the only time they really pressure him on the ball. They marked the defenders when the keeper had the ball, forcing him long pretty much any time he had it, but they never really closed him down.

I don't think he had any, what I would call, howlers. There were a few rusty moments, but nothing that was so bad it can fairly be termed a 'howler'. The tottenham goal was a howler, I can think of nothing he did that comes close to that in terms of mistakes.

I have voted brez because I think he deserves a run in the team to see if he can settle into our style. But, while I will always stick up for him, I do think if we are serious about progressing, we will need a new keeper better than both casper and brez in the long term, but I think brez should be given a chance to earn the shirt for the rest of the season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think there was a distinct plan early on in the game for all goal kicks to go long instead of playing short to centre backs that had pulled wide as normal or in short to bridders, don't remember a single time he picked the ball up of Brez in that situation wheras he normally gets a few a game. Once again, not necesserilly a bad thing given we have conceded a few goals through mess ups playing it out that way.

I don't know if that was the plan, but I did note that in the first half especially any time brez had the ball, southampton players marked all of our defenders not giving him the option of the short pass.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here