Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Battery plants planned or built

EU 21
UK Nil

Another post Brexit epic fail, no industrial strategy

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Scorched earth Britain continues from the Brexit cabal in charge...

Capture.PNG

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

EU 21
UK Nil

A Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy spokesman said: "The UK is one of the best locations in the world for automotive manufacturing, and we want to ensure the best outcome for the site. We will work closely with the local authority and potential investors to achieve this."
:unsure:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe, my feeling is that it pushes the idea that all the promises could have been made real, if only the Tories hadn't f***ed it up. What would be better is if they were honest and said they were wrong to support Leave, as it was never going to work well.
Like Communism, there will be many who can never accept that Brexit is a failure, just that it has “never been done properly”. The idea itself cannot be to blame because they believe so deeply in it, therefore it’s the fault of those implementing it.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Brexit has failed. It has offered us nothing. We had the best deal out of all the countries in the EU at our time of leaving, all the opt-outs we wanted, no Euro but also had all the benefits free trade and yes Free Movement. Businesses who deal with the EU are now faced with increased costs and red-tape. Businesses who look to expand into Europe will no longer invest in the UK as we are outside the single market.

What's really disappointing is that the major parties fail to acknowledge this failure. I am sorry Keir you cannot "make Brexit work" if you rule out rejoining the CU or single market. If we leave the barriers in place this country will continue to fall behind. I cannot see us rejoining the EU as we would have to go back all in and join the Euro, but the middle way of joining the EEA (or whatever it is called) and becoming part of the CU and SM is a realistic option.

When Labour win the next election there will be an opportunity for pro-EU sentiment to exercise some pressure on the new government in the sam way that the wretched ERG did to the Tories, except this time they will be looking to improve the country not just make a few hedge fund managers even richer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexit has failed. It has offered us nothing. We had the best deal out of all the countries in the EU at our time of leaving, all the opt-outs we wanted, no Euro but also had all the benefits free trade and yes Free Movement. Businesses who deal with the EU are now faced with increased costs and red-tape. Businesses who look to expand into Europe will no longer invest in the UK as we are outside the single market.

What's really disappointing is that the major parties fail to acknowledge this failure. I am sorry Keir you cannot "make Brexit work" if you rule out rejoining the CU or single market. If we leave the barriers in place this country will continue to fall behind. I cannot see us rejoining the EU as we would have to go back all in and join the Euro, but the middle way of joining the EEA (or whatever it is called) and becoming part of the CU and SM is a realistic option.

When Labour win the next election there will be an opportunity for pro-EU sentiment to exercise some pressure on the new government in the sam way that the wretched ERG did to the Tories, except this time they will be looking to improve the country not just make a few hedge fund managers even richer.
If there is a win of Brexit is its made the EU more stable, even countries with far right governments no longer see Euroscepticism as something they can exploit.

A strong Europe is still good for us, even while we struggle coming to terms with our self harm

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
This thought did cross my mind. I appreciate you have your reasons but from my experience Sweden seems a nice place, good standard of living and quality of life, language isn’t much of an issue and a country which isn’t falling to bits.

Sweden is fantastic. There were multiple reasons for our decision, but there certainly weren't too many push factors!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sweden is fantastic. There were multiple reasons for our decision, but there certainly weren't too many push factors!
I have been a couple of times but I have also spent the last 3 years working with a Swedish office in Gothenburg. Amongst many things, I just like their approach and attitude to work and life. And who wouldn’t love a Fika?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

EU 21
UK Nil

There has been little or no industrial strategy since 1945 and a conscious decision to erode nay destroy our industrial base since 1979. We handed most of our business opportunity to Germany and Japan on a plate and they grabbed it. We have never recovered. Probably, the most disgraceful and damaging action in our industrial past.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Scorched earth Britain continues from the Brexit cabal in charge...

View attachment 155919
To be fair I think that the list is incorrect as its already out of date. Sick leave/Sick pay has already gone for many, my company may or not pay you depending on your value as an employee at the time. One of the girls I work with had bad tonsillitis and her job was mostly phone based so she had to take two days off because speaking was painful....I asked her if she was over it and she said " no, but I'm not getting paid so I'm here..I can afford a couple of days off, that's what savings are for " I told her " No, thats what Sick Pay is for ". I'm sure this is reflected in many hundreds of thousand jobs around the country that are right on Minimum Wage/Zero Hours contracts.

As for " Clean Water Protections " .. they have effectively gone some time ago as It was only the EU and their Blue Flag/ Water Framework Directive and other legislation that kept our water companies to any sort of standard. two words, Fergal Sharkey.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There has been little or no industrial strategy since 1945 and a conscious decision to erode nay destroy our industrial base since 1979. We handed most of our business opportunity to Germany and Japan on a plate and they grabbed it. We have never recovered. Probably, the most disgraceful and damaging action in our industrial past.
But, since this is the Brexit thread, how do you think the Brexit that you campaigned so long and hard for is going ? Maybe highlight some of the benefits you expected that are now coming to fruition, or suggest some solutions to some of the crises you and your fellow campaigners have caused the rest of society rather than just indulging in utterly pointless whataboutery ???

And, back on the actual subject of Brexit

Brexit to blame for collapse of Britishvolt, says ex-Tory leader William Hague​

Brexit is to blame for the collapse of the British electric car battery start-up Britishvolt causing hundreds of job losses, according to former Conservative leader Lord William Hague. The Tory grandee said the failure of the company – which had plans to build a giga-factory in Northumberland – was “part of the damage” of the UK’s exit from the EU. Britishvolt made the majority of its 300 staff redundant on Wednesday after appointing administrators when it failed to raise enough funding for its Cambois site.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...itishvolt-electric-car-collapse-b2264598.html

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Until 2016 British car manufacturing (albeit foreign owned) was in a good place. Leaving the EU and imposing trade sanctions on ourselves has sent it into terminal decline.

Meanwhile in the world of semi-conductors Intel is investing £80B in the EU, UK nil

Sorry, its time to start owning your shit

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But, since this is the Brexit thread, how do you think the Brexit that you campaigned so long and hard for is going ? Maybe highlight some of the benefits you expected that are now coming to fruition, or suggest some solutions to some of the crises you and your fellow campaigners have caused the rest of society rather than just indulging in utterly pointless whataboutery ???

Brexit is to blame for the collapse of the British electric car battery start-up Britishvolt causing hundreds of job losses, according to former Conservative leader Lord William Hague. The Tory grandee said the failure of the company – which had plans to build a giga-factory in Northumberland – was “part of the damage” of the UK’s exit from the EU. Britishvolt made the majority of its 300 staff redundant on Wednesday after appointing administrators when it failed to raise enough funding for its Cambois site.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...itishvolt-electric-car-collapse-b2264598.html
I'm just reminded by Johnson's bluster about the UK being held back by EU standards and working practices...remember how " Gulliver can throw off his shackles and free himself " ...that's going well.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Of course Johnson's crap TCA has some pretty tight stuff for us concerning rules of origin. Ultimately, no UK battery, no UK car industry.

To add to our woes throwing the EU rule book up in the air now will make investors run a mile, who wants to invest in a country that can't tell you what its own regulations are?

They're utterly clueless, they've given up. Just set fire to everything and when the fire brigade arrive in 2 years blame them for starting the fire.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
I'm surprised that such a level headed and capable politician like Hague would trot out the same radicalised europhile nonsense seen across social.media.

Meanwhile back in the real world numerous companies including car manufacturers are interested in taking over that site ..

Britishvolt site draws interest from more than a dozen companies - https://on.ft.com/3XGkO0N via @FT

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm surprised that such a level headed and capable politician like Hague would trot out the same radicalised europhile nonsense seen across social.media.

Meanwhile back in the real world numerous companies including car manufacturers are interested in taking over that site ..

Britishvolt site draws interest from more than a dozen companies - https://on.ft.com/3XGkO0N via @FT
I remember when JC football genius told us Musk was opening a giga factory in Somerset...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here