Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Definitely no confusion here, although I'm not sure the same could be said of him :wink:

‘I was lied to by Boris Johnson’: Why much of UK fishing is still waiting for a Brexit boost​

It was 23 August 2019, and the MP, less than a month into his spell as prime minister, was on an unannounced visit to the south Devon fishing town of Brixham. “Me and my son Joshua chatted to Boris for about ten minutes,” he recalls. “He promised us that we would need to expand our premises, employ more staff. “He told us that when the Brexit rules came in January 2021, we would be so busy that we would take the fish off the French and they would be desperate to buy it from us. He said we could look forward to a very, very prosperous future.”

Roll forward three-and-a-half years and Mr Perkes’ revenue is 30 per cent down. He had run his business profitably for 45 years before the post-Brexit fishing rules came into force in January 2021. Now he is having to contemplate giving up entirely on exports – which accounted for 85 per cent of his pre-Brexit sales – and axing up to a dozen of his 15 staff.

https://inews.co.uk/news/was-lied-b...uk-fishing-still-waiting-brexit-boost-2096883

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at the fact 'Johnson lied' is a headline. WTF did he really expect :facepalm:
I think there was a " Lady " who stood as a candidate for one of Farages Party's I believe who either managed or owned a fish producers inn Grimsby/Hull... she was fuming too. Brexit was great she reckons except we got the " Wrong type of Brexit " .. ie the one where we we get treated as a Third Country, like many on here said would happen but... she's adamant it was right to leave.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think there was a " Lady " who stood as a candidate for one of Farages Party's I believe who either managed or owned a fish producers inn Grimsby/Hull... she was fuming too. Brexit was great she reckons except we got the " Wrong type of Brexit " .. ie the one where we we get treated as a Third Country, like many on here said would happen but... she's adamant it was right to leave.
Well she's sort of correct - the "right type of Brexit" was to remain in the Single Market like Norway.

But of course "Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the single market" so it was all a con anyway.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There were actually two UKIP MEPs who were from fishing communities, extoling the virtues of Brexit for fishing. Mike Hookem and the delightful June Mummery who you are referring to and who it seems, is still angry, VERY VERY ANGRY, but doesn't appear to understand why :lolol:

But they definitely aren't to blame, definitely not. True Brexiteers till the end, it's all someone else's fault :facepalm:

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There were actually two UKIP MEPs who were from fishing communities, extoling the virtues of Brexit for fishing. Mike Hookem and the delightful June Mummery who you are referring to and who it seems, is still angry, VERY VERY ANGRY, but doesn't appear to understand why :lolol:

But they definitely aren't to blame, definitely not. True Brexiteers till the end, it's all someone else's fault :facepalm:

YES ! thats the girl, the delightful June Mummery ! thick as mince !

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Definitely no confusion here, although I'm not sure the same could be said of him :wink:

‘I was lied to by Boris Johnson’: Why much of UK fishing is still waiting for a Brexit boost​

It was 23 August 2019, and the MP, less than a month into his spell as prime minister, was on an unannounced visit to the south Devon fishing town of Brixham. “Me and my son Joshua chatted to Boris for about ten minutes,” he recalls. “He promised us that we would need to expand our premises, employ more staff. “He told us that when the Brexit rules came in January 2021, we would be so busy that we would take the fish off the French and they would be desperate to buy it from us. He said we could look forward to a very, very prosperous future.”

Roll forward three-and-a-half years and Mr Perkes’ revenue is 30 per cent down. He had run his business profitably for 45 years before the post-Brexit fishing rules came into force in January 2021. Now he is having to contemplate giving up entirely on exports – which accounted for 85 per cent of his pre-Brexit sales – and axing up to a dozen of his 15 staff.

https://inews.co.uk/news/was-lied-b...uk-fishing-still-waiting-brexit-boost-2096883

I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh at the fact 'Johnson lied' is a headline. WTF did he really expect :facepalm:
As much as I sympathise with Mr Perkes, I imagine having run a profitable business for 45 years , he probably owns his home and has a fair bit stashed away to allow him to retire comfortably.

The 12 staff losing their jobs are the real losers, unemployment in the South West is horrendous.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
That’s fine is they don’t vote. But if they chose to vote, with all the consequences of the vote, and have little interest or understanding then that does make you a bit thick imho.

I wouldn’t do something, which has significant impact on others, without at least educating myself first.
The problem is that cognitively challenged and ill informed people don't know they are what they are! 'I know what I voted for....' etc

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I'm in Portugal at the moment. Coffee is costing us €1, toasted sandwiches €2.50, bus rides €1.95. I haven't found anything that it more expensive than in the UK.
The place is spotlessly clean, everyone seems to be smiling and the infrastructure is superb.

It's what our kids could have had and what many of us enjoyed for so long.
It is so, so sad that so many people believed the lies they were told by dishonest politicians who acted as puppets for their rich paymasters.

It is literally criminal what they have done to us. I hope that eventually some of the scumbags are held to account.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I'm in Portugal at the moment. Coffee is costing us €1, toasted sandwiches €2.50, bus rides €1.95. I haven't found anything that it more expensive than in the UK.
The place is spotlessly clean, everyone seems to be smiling and the infrastructure is superb.

It is so, so sad that so many people believed the lies they were told by dishonest politicians who acted as puppets for their rich paymasters.

It is literally criminal what they have done to us. I hope that eventually some of the scumbags are held to account.
...and some people, even on this site, are still claiming Brexit is a success!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Portugal has very low wages and something like the second ‘poorest’ country in the EU. Lovely country, eaten & drunk very well in Lisbon whenever I’ve been

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'd really like to see a subject at school called "life skills". This could cover some of the essentials to life, areas covered could include financial planning / budgeting, basic nutrition / food prep, UK constitution / politics.

In return for the later there would be a better chance of individuals making sensible decisions rather than getting gaslit by slogans and cheap gimmicks from dishonest actors. Oh and voting would also be mandatory...
Civics lessons. It's been something I've banged on about for years. Should cover all of the above. People really should know how their country works. Perhaps add in some stuff about online awareness/risks and fact checking.

But then I've yet to meet any government that craves a better informed electorate.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Civics lessons. It's been something I've banged on about for years. Should cover all of the above. People really should know how their country works. Perhaps add in some stuff about online awareness/risks and fact checking.

But then I've yet to meet any government that craves a better informed electorate.
Certainly, the last thing the current government wants is a better formed electorate. Instead Sunak wants advanced Maths that hardly anyone will ever use.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Not a new idea. Had economics and publlic affairs classes in the 6th. form back in the 60s.

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Mike Hookem. What a marvellously apt surname.
Both in the nominative determinism sense and the gullible one. Fantastic.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
...and some people, even on this site, are still claiming Brexit is a success!
Has anyone really claimed it as a success?

Sure, some are doubling down on their vote and being right, but who could describe the current debacle as an actual success?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Sure, some are doubling down on their vote and being right, but who could describe the current debacle as an actual success?
I’m not sure about on here, the main core of Brexit supporters seem to have clammed up of late. Or been banned!

However, I still know a few people, my neighbour for instance who have the mindset that “this would all be a lot worse if we were still in the EU”

Based on nothing it seems. Not even the Seig Mail or the Tory’s are even claiming that.

To be fair, this is a man whose first ever attempt at conversation with me was “I saw you going into the shops on Sunday”. Which manages to be both creepy and deathly boring at the same time.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

There is a list at the top of every single page of this thread under 'Leave', but there's an awful lot of Brexit supporting accounts that don't seem to be used anymore.

So I do apologise if I've missed posts to the contrary, but from this thread recently, the people who are honest enough to still use the same accounts and support Brexit are IIRC @Wokeworrier / @JC Footy Genius, @Is it PotG?, @GT49er, @portslade seagull, @wellquickwoody, @maltaseagull, @Butch Willykins, @Westdene Seagull, @Mo Gosfield, who I believe are still claiming Brexit as a success (more than happy to be corrected), although I'm sure there's other newer accounts :shrug:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here