Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
sure but you cant directly compare cost of Covid with trade to % GDP growth. you end up compounding confusion about the original data. the cost of Covid contributed to GDP (includes government expenditure). GDP growth now will be lower due to the total fall in production due mostly to Covid. GDP growth over 12 years will be lower due to brexit effects.
Surely the vast amounts of government borrowing will have an effect on future GDP? Even if they don't, they'll have an effect on future wealth.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Benefits of Brexit?

I've said it on here, numerous times, that I'd rather be in the EU than out - but, as the owner of a Company that sells 100% overseas, the collapse of the £ against the USD and € post June 2016 saw our sales significantly increase - in effect our prices to our Customers fell.

More paperwork and hassle selling to the EU - absolutely (especially in the last year) but sales still strong with the € at approx. 1.2.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But incompetent politicians aren't purely the result of Brexit.
Cameron resigned as a result of Brexit, May went as a result of Brexit, Johnson got PM and then got elected with a large majority as a result of Brexit and consequently appointed a cabinet of Brexiteers including Braverman, Sunak, Kwarteng and numerous others with absolutely no cabinet experience (and Truss and Gove with experience :facepalm: ), whilst sidelining nearly all other experienced Tory politicians as they hadn't supported him/Brexit.

So the last 3 years of completely incompetent politicians have been as a direct result of Brexit :shrug:

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Surely the vast amounts of government borrowing will have an effect on future GDP? Even if they don't, they'll have an effect on future wealth.
Talking of future wealth, how's the Brexit dividend and levelling up going in your home town? I imagine Burnley is currently halfway to looking like Sydney's CBD and the educated liberal elite are flocking there in thousands. Probably not too many bargains left when it comes to brick terraces?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Talking of future wealth, how's the Brexit dividend and levelling up going in your home town? I imagine Burnley is currently halfway to looking like Sydney's CBD and the educated liberal elite are flocking there in thousands. Probably not too many bargains left when it comes to brick terraces?
I think you've pretty much summed up the reason certain politicians are so unpopular, especially round here. Whether you are tongue in cheek or not, there is a type of person who believes that they genuinely have a more valuable opinion than the lower orders because they went to the right university, they hold the right opinions, they think they are better people.

There are a lot of them on this board. If you ever thought this place was liberal, then unthink it. It's supremely intolerant of contrary opinions.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Incidentally, there aren't that many brick terraces in Burnley. Accrington's the place where they built everything in brick.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Cameron resigned as a result of Brexit, May went as a result of Brexit, Johnson got PM and then got elected with a large majority as a result of Brexit and consequently appointed a cabinet of Brexiteers including Braverman, Sunak, Kwarteng and numerous others with absolutely no cabinet experience (and Truss and Gove with experience :facepalm: ), whilst sidelining nearly all other experienced Tory politicians as they hadn't supported him/Brexit.

So the last 3 years of completely incompetent politicians have been as a direct result of Brexit :shrug:
Five Prime Ministers in 6 years and 80 Ministerial resignations, but all's well in Brexit land.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think you've pretty much summed up the reason certain politicians are so unpopular, especially round here. Whether you are tongue in cheek or not, there is a type of person who believes that they genuinely have a more valuable opinion than the lower orders because they went to the right university, they hold the right opinions, they think they are better people.

There are a lot of them on this board. If you ever thought this place was liberal, then unthink it. It's supremely intolerant of contrary opinions.
No, it's intolerant of STUPID opinions, opinions that don't stand up to rational argument and opinions where the moron giving it doesn't even try to argue it properly.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
No, it's intolerant of STUPID opinions, opinions that don't stand up to rational argument and opinions where the moron giving it doesn't even try to argue it properly.
Exactly. If you only tolerate opinions you agree with, then you are 100% intolerant.

Your anger and attitude says a lot about you but nothing about me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I was going to say that NSC is extremely tolerant of opinions that have validity

valid
/ˈvalɪd/
adjective
(of an argument or point) having a sound basis in logic or fact; reasonable or cogent.

And not so tolerant of those that don't, but I guess your words work just as well :lolol:

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Exactly. If you only tolerate opinions you agree with, then you are 100% intolerant.

Your anger and attitude says a lot about you but nothing about me.
And how tolerant are you of the opinion that Burnley is absolutely stuffed full of the sort of Sun reading thickwits who still point at any aeroplane that isn't dragging a "White Lives Matter" banner???

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Benefits of Brexit?

I've said it on here, numerous times, that I'd rather be in the EU than out - but, as the owner of a Company that sells 100% overseas, the collapse of the £ against the USD and € post June 2016 saw our sales significantly increase - in effect our prices to our Customers fell.

More paperwork and hassle selling to the EU - absolutely (especially in the last year) but sales still strong with the € at approx. 1.2.
So the benefit of Brexit is the collapse of the £. 😂

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
And how tolerant are you of the opinion that Burnley is absolutely stuffed full of the sort of Sun reading thickwits who still point at any aeroplane that isn't dragging a "White Lives Matter" banner???
It's your board, and yes, I agree it has its share of "I'm glad I'm not prejudiced like Northerners are" people. But not a majority.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Ok let's open up a legitimate debate and let people air their views. So enlighten me what were the tangible benefits of Bexit.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
Anyone with half a brain.

Anyone with half a brain would look at the main reasons why immigration has increased over the past year ...

Madeleine Sumption, director of Oxford University's politically independent Migration Observatory research unit, said: "All the forecasts suggested that migration would fall as a result of the post-Brexit immigration scheme, which greatly restricted the options for EU citizens to move to the UK - and indeed, EU net migration remains negative.
"But non-EU migration has risen, primarily not because of the policies designed to replace EU free movement.
"The humanitarian routes for Ukraine and Hong Kong and a rebound in international students have played the largest role in boosting immigration levels.
"These unusually high levels of net migration result from a unique set of circumstances following the war in Ukraine and the recovery from the Covid-19 crisis.
"We cannot assume they represent a 'new normal', and it would be rash to take major policy decisions based only on these numbers."

.... if anything this is a positive news story as it shows we have been welcoming large numbers of people fleeing war zones and the Uk remains a very attractive destination for international students.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Anyone with half a brain would look at the main reasons why immigration has increased over the past year ...

Madeleine Sumption, director of Oxford University's politically independent Migration Observatory research unit, said: "All the forecasts suggested that migration would fall as a result of the post-Brexit immigration scheme, which greatly restricted the options for EU citizens to move to the UK - and indeed, EU net migration remains negative.
"But non-EU migration has risen, primarily not because of the policies designed to replace EU free movement.
"The humanitarian routes for Ukraine and Hong Kong and a rebound in international students have played the largest role in boosting immigration levels.
"These unusually high levels of net migration result from a unique set of circumstances following the war in Ukraine and the recovery from the Covid-19 crisis.
"We cannot assume they represent a 'new normal', and it would be rash to take major policy decisions based only on these numbers."

.... if anything this is a positive news story as it shows we have been welcoming large numbers of people fleeing war zones and the Uk remains a very attractive destination for international students.

That reads like 'we would have been correct, had we not encountered several unforeseen circumstances, none of which we have coped with'.

'Home Secretary Suella Braverman said she wanted to resurrect a repeatedly missed government target to reduce net migration to below 100,000'.

So the actual net migration figure of 504,000 is five times the stated aim of under 100,000 originally set by David Cameron, five Prime Ministers ago.

So is this a) a Brexit success (we've taken back control) or b) a Brexit failure (we haven't taken back control at all), or c) neither a) nor b). Move the goalposts instead and re-package it as a positive news story?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ah. The levelling up fund I hear you say? My guess is that instead of being spent in places like Burnley, it is being used to repair the profound damage a certain Jeremy Corbyn did to the county with his antisemitism. He brought the Country to its knees with his, erm, (what did he do again exactly) but …..antisemitism.

D9C315F1-7FD5-4C19-A972-E0574EDF6810.jpeg

So it’s unsurprising that rather than channeling the funding to deprived northern constituencies, the money is being spent on re-educating students about antisemitism. After all, if students supported Corbyn at the last election by a huge majority, it’s probably because they are antisemitic? Right?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here