Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
People didnt know why they voted.They didnt understand what they were voting for.
Really?

I thought the question was very easy to understand.

EU-referendum-ballot-paper-638210.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As soon as the referendum was called, I studied every book on the subject I could and soon came to the conclusion that we would never join this lumbering project if we were asked to now. The EU has done nothing for any of its members, bar Poland. It stifles competition, it destroys nation states and it's parliaments and spends it's time and money on nonsense whilst southern Europe burns in Debt.

So from the many books that you read on the subject of the European Union, you will no doubt be able to explain fully what the EU has been able to achieve exclusively for Poland that it is unable to do for all its other members.

Given that membership of the EU requires signing up to the free movement of goods and services, how has this stifled competition,

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In the same way as finding some way to stay in is more important to you than democracy?

No, I absolutely want to find a democratic method for remaining in. A second referendum could do it.

So from the many books that you read on the subject of the European Union, you will no doubt be able to explain fully what the EU has been able to achieve exclusively for Poland that it is unable to do for all its other members.

Given that membership of the EU requires signing up to the free movement of goods and services, how has this stifled competition,
It might be easier if I gave you the name of one of the books I read. All is explained. If you can wait until I get home I will paste the said articles on here.
The book is called" The trouble with Europe"
Another book" The great deception"

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It might be easier if I gave you the name of one of the books I read. All is explained. If you can wait until I get home I will paste the said articles on here.

So you didn't study every book on the subject. Just the ones from a negative perspective?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Great

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Well, they certainly sound like excellent books that will have approached the whole thing with balance, and no prior bias.

Triffic.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The liberals offering a possible Brexit? Oh, dream on!

Yeah, as I put it, possibly even the liberals, which I think most reasonable people understand means unlikely, but on the back of a narrow remain result, they maybe would have felt the best way to go was promise a referendum and win the argument to remain at that point, not try and win the argument for remain at a general election.

So you didn't study every book on the subject. Just the ones from a negative perspective?
From my experience there appear to be a few pro EU books. These weighty tomes are official EU literature and weigh in at £ 70.00 plus. So my reading material was the more reasonably priced paperback variety.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
People didnt know why they voted.They didnt understand what they were voting for.
Really?

I thought the

i think its a fair point that many people projected their own views on to the question. its too narrow to cover the many wider issues. lets be honest the leave and remain camps argued on different issues for a start, the question could have been "which is a big deal to you" with answers "economy" and "immigration" and just about covered the campaign.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeah, as I put it, possibly even the liberals, which I think most reasonable people understand means unlikely, but on the back of a narrow remain result, they maybe would have felt the best way to go was promise a referendum and win the argument to remain at that point, not try and win the argument for remain at a general election.
As likely as Labour coming in with a promise to privatise the NHS, or the Tories including a 90 upper rate if income tax in their manifesto! You'd better hang on to those straws!

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I think the BBC have been an absolute disgrace over this. They are now pushing a very dangerous narrative in trying to prove that we should stay.

They should be kicked into that free market they suddenly appear to like so much.

Interesting story on the BBC website about a Polish family having their shed burned down . There was also a 15min report on the Victoria Derbyshire show .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-36737529

I haven't though seen this story reported at all on the BBC , only read about in the Daily Mail .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3688234/Pictured-Lithuanian-accused-murdering-pensioner.html

I guess Sheds are important but pensioners are expendable at the BBC .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, you've just proved my point!

No, I really haven't. I would rather go through with Brexit than remain if I truly believed a significant majority of people in this country really wanted that, and all that it entails.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The EU would not have changed if we had voted remain. It is a federalist mafia and will not change its one Union goals.

We are out and will forge ahead whilst the crippling EU stumbles along with low growth, low employment and stifling beauocracy.

As soon as the referendum was called, I studied every book on the subject I could and soon came to the conclusion that we would never join this lumbering project if we were asked to now. The EU has done nothing for any of its members, bar Poland. It stifles competition, it destroys nation states and it's parliaments and spends it's time and money on nonsense whilst southern Europe burns in Debt.

Out and proud☺

All of Europe is burning in debt and it has little to do with the EU. Our net cost membership costs pale into insignificance compared to our £43B a year debt interest alone, financially we have bigger issues. With Brexit, and the immediate credit downgrade these issues have just got a whole lot bigger.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
All of Europe is burning in debt and it has little to do with the EU. Our net cost membership costs pale into insignificance compared to our £43B a year debt interest alone, financially we have bigger issues. With Brexit, and the immediate credit downgrade these issues have just got a whole lot bigger.
Indeed. And the idea that if we leave then the debt of EU countries suddenly isn't our problem is another blinder from the Brexit crew.

Conveniently forgetting that the last financial crisis was caused by US junk mortgages.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...rom-arguing-with-brexit-fkwits-20160713110699

MILLIONS of Britons are physically exhausted after spending several weeks arguing with people who do not understand anything.
Many ‘remain’ voters feel they need a holiday or a long sleep after the tiring experience of trying to reason with people who completely reject logic or evidence.
Martin Bishop said: “Whenever I spoke to my uncle Trevor about Brexit he’d just make some fatuous comment like, ‘I suppose you wish the Germans had won the war, then!’
“It was incredibly knackering because he’d just respond to everything with random bullshit, like when he said the economy would be fine because we’d ‘just think of new products to sell’.”
Emma Bradford said: “I’m worn out from talking to Brexiters because a lot of them think listing everything that pisses them off is the same as a rational debate.
“Also they just ignore anything they don’t like. When I explained to my mum that the EU doesn’t make our laws her reasoned response was to go and water the geraniums.”
However Brexit supporter Norman Steele said: “I’ve had lots of well-informed, reasonable debates with Project Fear’s brainwashed sheeple who hate their country.”

No, no, no. This must be wrong. There have been loads of posts on here explaining how Leave voters incrementally arrived at nuanced decisions after carefully researching all the available literature on the subject. East Preston Gull read two objective books for example. Any suggestion that several million Brexiters thought Sod it, this is even better than the Xfactor must be denied immediately, as must the premise that the non-stop anti-immigration vitriol in the tabloids had any effect at all. People understood that "Turkey is set to join the EU" didn't mean that Turkey is set to join the EU and that the dusky-looking types in Nige's Leave poster weren't any sort of threat that they might rock up here, raping people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here