Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You also have to bear in mind the distribution and job creation of this wealth. The EU do take a lot of money from the UK, but they ensure it is distributed to the most needy and most in need of funding, which our governments don't do, UK governments make needless cuts everywhere. In the North of England, as a DIRECT result of EU distributed funds, 70,000 jobs were created through projects funded between 2012 and 2014. Funds that the UK government would have never released.

These are the figures that matter. These are the figures ignored my a many brexiters.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I can't really see how this analogy falls over:

NT: Hello, you're through to the National Trust.
Caller: Hello. Yes, I’d like to withdraw my membership please.
NT: I’m sorry to hear that, may I ask why?
Caller: We’re fed up with it. The houses are too full. There’s queues at the cafes and not enough tables. Plus we’ve noticed there are plenty of stately homes and attractions not part of the National Trust. And we have to pay a that ridiculous fee that we could use for anything we like…
NT: OK, so shall I cancel your direct debit?
Caller: Just wait a minute. I have promised my family that even if we leave, we can still have full access to all of your country houses, historic landscapes and nature reserves.
NT: Yes, you can do that. You just have to pay an entry fee each time you visit one of our attractions.
Caller: But won’t that be hugely more expensive?
NT: Yes.
Caller: And won’t that mean I’ll have to queue up with all the non-members and pay each time?
NT: Yes. And for the car parks.
Caller: So, we can’t use them any more?
NT: You can. But you’ll have to pay. Sorry.
Caller: Will you still send me the magazine?
NT: Well, no. Why would we–?
Caller: How dare you be so unhelpful. Can’t we agree on a different arrangement?
NT: Such as?
Caller: One where we still have full access to all of your attractions and car parks. And the magazine.
NT: Yes. You can do that by being a member of the National Trust.
Caller: Oh, you people. Honestly.

It falls over because it's a bit silly, but if someone wanted to be a pedant they could point out that you're only telling half the story.
You don't mention that there's actually plenty of other attractions available that you're currently only allowed to visit through your NT membership. NT actually makes it much more expensive for entry to Alton Towers and Thorpe Park. We don't want to cancel our NT membership altogether, just take up a different membership option which will allow us to buy our own tickets to TP and AT at reduced rates.
We currently buy boiled sweets and bon bons from the other NT members under NT rules, if they cancel our membership completely it means that we'll have to pay tax to NT in order to buy boiled sweets. The other NT members will be much poorer if that happens.

I'm with you on the other stuff though and I think everything should be open to debate. Hopefully once this saga is done and dusted people will feel more engaged with politics and try to change other things that seem wrong or unfair.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That they continually find and give grants to specific areas , funnily enough the areas that most voted leave in (doh!) with the specific purpose of closing wealth disparity in Europe, including the UK. ?

I think this is what has annoyed me the most, the areas voted out and want the Government to make up the lost money.

Erm no, you should have fully researched what you voted for before you voted - A vote for leaving the EU was a vote for not receiving that money, so why should we pay it?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think this is what has annoyed me the most, the areas voted out and want the Government to make up the lost money.

Erm no, you should have fully researched what you voted for before you voted - A vote for leaving the EU was a vote for not receiving that money, so why should we pay it?

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Really, cos we have just lost 10.9 billion euros that were granted to is to do exactly that. Come back with some exact figures and I'll consider taking your seriously.
Honestly you voted out because of the money you think we'll save but you don't know how much if any, we'll save.
Sorry but that is genuinely ridiculous. Do you understand now why remainers are somewhat miffed!

We pay around 15 billion into the EU and get 10 back in the form of grants and such. Maybe, just maybe, we can decide what projects we want to spend the 10 billion they give back to us on instead of the EU :shrug:

Oh, and I'm a remainer by the way. The issue we'll have is that 10 billion will be swallowed up given the shrinking economy instead of being used where it would have been if we'd have remained in the EU. I can understand the arguments the leavers have around this particular issue though - as misguided as it is.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We pay around 15 billion into the EU and get 10 back in the form of grants and such. Maybe, just maybe, we can decide what projects we want to spend the 10 million they give back to us on instead of the EU :shrug:

Oh, and I'm a remainer by the way. The issue we'll have is that 10 billion will be swallowed up given the shrinking economy instead of being used where it would have been if we'd have remained in the EU. I can understand the arguments the leavers have around this particular issue though.

It's distribution of that money that is so vital. It keeps wealth disparity at manageable levels. A Tory government certainly wouldn't do that, it depends on wealth disparity.

The figure we pay in does seem unfair and I see why it upsets people but it's not the whole story.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
It's distribution of that money that is so vital. It keeps wealth disparity at manageable levels. A Tory government certainly wouldn't do that, it depends on wealth disparity.

The figure we pay in does seem unfair and I see why it upsets people but it's not the whole story.

Totally agree. It's just one of the areas where if people don't actually consider the underlying issues it does sound a bit daft. It's the exact sort of thing that the remain campaign should have been shouting about but they didn't give anywhere near as information as they should have done.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Totally agree. It's just one of the areas where if people don't actually consider the underlying issues it does sound a bit daft. It's the exact sort of thing that the remain campaign should have been shouting about but they didn't give anywhere near as information as they should have done.

Exactly. The remain campaign led a half arsed campaign that explained nothing to anyone and the likes of Farage saw his chance to push his agenda. Oops.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
NT actually makes it much more expensive for entry to Alton Towers and Thorpe Park.

We'll find out whether this is the case or not I guess, or whether our membership of NT did actually give us a bit of a discount to Alton Towers and Thorpe Park too!

There is no guarantee we're going to get better deals around the world than we currently have as an EU member.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
not liking old people seems to be a common trait and the brexit vote is the stirrings of fascism in this country.........apparently :facepalm:

If we had more people like her the world would be a far nicer place...

Re: the old people... Them the facts mate

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Oh so you would want to fast track Turkey followed closely by every other country in the world.

Why then would you want to vote to Remain when the EU beyond Turkey has absolutely no intention of delivering now or anytime in the future free movement throughout the world, you should really be looking for something more political extreme that represents your views, you have latched on to something quite irrelevant to you.

I do not wish to fast track anybody, there are conditions to be met, but when the time is right and if those nations wanted to, yes, why not? What are you scared of?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If we had more people like her the world would be a far nicer place...

Re: the old people... Them the facts mate

Really don't get why the baby boomers / war babies all voted out. Deluded with a false sense of nostalgia, the good old days when families had 1 car if they were lucky, BMW's were for rich b**stards, could never afford to go overseas on hols and that an exotic meal was spag bol with dried parmesan.
They didn't fight in the war, got pensions no other generation will ever get again, got free further education and bought houses cheap
FFS - could they have just done their kids a favour. The ultimate selfish generation.
Now George, get rid of the pension triple lock at your first opportunity, this lot have got away with austerity and need to start paying whilst those creating any wealth sort out the mess out left behind

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Really don't get why the baby boomers / war babies all voted out. Deluded with a false sense of nostalgia, the good old days when families had 1 car if they were lucky, BMW's were for rich b**stards, could never afford to go overseas on hols and that an exotic meal was spag bol with dried parmesan.
They didn't fight in the war, got pensions no other generation will ever get again, got free further education and bought houses cheap
FFS - could they have just done their kids a favour. The ultimate selfish generation.
Now George, get rid of the pension triple lock at your first opportunity, this lot have got away with austerity and need to start paying whilst those creating any wealth sort out the mess out left behind

Bloody hell ...... and I thought the bint in the video was a drama queen !!!!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Still Doom and Gloom on here :ohmy:

end.gif

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
But you havent mentioned numbers, nor the population density nor the impact on services etc, nor the historic exclusion of those outside of the cobbled together accession countries, you are just 'being for something', but you dont seem to offer a view on the current nor the former candidates and the merits of allowing them also freedom of movement, with respect its all all a little bit woolly.

Current candidates include Albania, Republic of Macedonia, Serbia and Turkey, more recent acceding countries of Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania nor the previous countries of Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungry, Malta, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia.

So where exactly are your own personal limits and at what point in terms of numbers, countries and considerations do you think perhaps it needs some control and for what specific reasons would you offer that view.

Good, thoughtful post. I'm not an EU immigration expert but for a start, whoever takes over as PM, in my view, should guarantee the rights of those from EU countries who were already living and working here up until June 23. That would be a reasonable position to take for a start. Now that we're out, it's up to those who have got us here to take that forward, not me, but whilst i have supported free movement i accept that it hasn't worked for everyone and that will obviously change now we're out. On the specific point on the numbers, those are notoriously difficult as I suspect you know and Governments on all sides have failed to accurately predict the numbers over the last 20 years so its unlikely you or I will do any better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here