[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Let's just see what happens. We don't even know who the Prime Minister is yet.
Yes it's worrying when I see companies saying they are thinking of leaving, but then you read other stories that say it is false.

In five years, if the country is in a better state economically,I will willingly, stand up and admit I was wrong, I even hope I will have to admit I'm wrong.

I just really don't think I will have too, if we don't stay in.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
No I didn't. Tell me in your mind, what is the absolute worst that can happen here?
We have had recessions before and survived.

I am not an economist so I cannot answer this question, but listening to Carney for ¾ hr I did not hear any positives.

£1.8 trillion was wiped off shares worldwide the other day and you ask me what’s the worst that can happen?

D

Deleted member 22389

In five years, if the country is in a better state economically,I will willingly, stand up and admit I was wrong, I even hope I will have to admit I'm wrong.

I just really don't think I will have too, if we don't stay in.

And vice versa.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am not an economist so I cannot answer this question, but listening to Carney for ¾ hr I did not hear any positives.

£1.8 trillion was wiped off shares worldwide the other day and you ask me what’s the worst that can happen?

Stock markets have since rebounded sharply and the FTSE is now at its highest level since last August ! Really though whether the stock markets are weak or strong day to day is not relevant. They are driven by short term speculation and not a good measure of the health of our economy either way. Likewise, weakness in the pound is good for exporters and bad for importers so the question needs to be asked is how do we wish to structure our economy; towards exports or imports. The economic effects are not as bad as you imply simply by looking at whether markets are 'strong or 'weak'.
As for Mark Carney...ex Goldman Sachs...as are many influential figures within the EU. Draw your own conclusions...I have.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Stock markets have since rebounded sharply and the FTSE is now at its highest level since last August ! Really though whether the stock markets are weak or strong day to day is not relevant. They are driven by short term speculation and not a good measure of the health of our economy either way. Likewise, weakness in the pound is good for exporters and bad for importers so the question needs to be asked is how do we wish to structure our economy; towards exports or imports. The economic effects are not as bad as you imply simply by looking at whether markets are 'strong or 'weak'.
As for Mark Carney...ex Goldman Sachs...as are many influential figures within the EU. Draw your own conclusions...I have.

Well, he is an 'expert' we know all about them, don't we?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Well, he is an 'expert' we know all about them, don't we?

You are putting words in my mouth. I am not responsible for Michael Gove's speeches. My opinion has nothing to do with dismissing experts. I simply question his background in Goldman Sachs. If you remember they were the bank that cooked the figures when Greece were admitted to the EU. Just one of many episodes where this bank has been influential in that organisation. To turn your casual remark on its head I am wondering why someone can be automatically believed by some people simply because they are an expert. Will you apply that to all spheres of your life ? I think Mr Carney's Goldman Sachs background may rather colour his opinions. Anyway, we are re-running the debate. Really I was just pointing out that short term gyrations in financial markets are not a good indicator of the health of an economy. Of more concern is the credit rating downgrade and I would think that whichever party leads in future the regaining of AAA status will be a priority particularly if the Government is planning on borrowing to invest.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
When countries won their independence, there was a lot of early problems. Ireland civil war, India/ Pakistan. We may have economical problems for a few years, but in the long term, this country will reap the benefits in the long term.

The EU was a noble idea of the 1970's, and has had benefits until now. 2016. This is a global economy now and a very different world.

Well I've read some sensible posts on this thread from both sides. Unfortunately this isn't one of them.

"Won their independence" - you're seriously comparing the carnage in post 2nd World War India or The Troubles to getting rid of a vaguely expensive parliament and some rules on working time, banana sizes and free reserves? Jesus wept man, who set our income tax rates before and after the vote - our government. Who set our interest rates - the Bank of England. Who set spending policy? Our Chancellor. Yes, spending policy included having to give some to Brussels and, yes, there is immigration, but I'll return to them in a second.

"This is a global economy now". Congratulations. That's a fact. So it would seem rather stupid to be isolating ourselves in a mock Churchillian fashion don't you think? Would China rather do business with us (population 65 million) or with most of the rest of Europe? How about the States? I suppose there's always the colonial links to India but, if you'd dialled a call centre in the last fifteen years you might have noticed they've already taken all our service sector jobs. India is a service sector competitor, not a partner, and they can still do things fantastically cheaply.

So let's go back to immigration and spending because these are, indeed, two areas where we have got our independence. Or, rather, we might have. Since the terms haven't been thrashed out yet we might be as well to heed the EU's starting position which is 'no access to the market without free movement'. A position Norway - which contributes a fair old whack to the EU and has to accept free movement - finds itself in despite having "its independence".

Last edited:

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Politicians in US, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea push for new UK trade deals after Brexit.

Goes along side the other trade deals mentioned.

11 Countries Gearing Up to Strike Trade Deals With Britain.

While Brexit doom-mongers have been focussing on the challenges of keeping access to the EU’s single market (16% of global trade – less once we’re gone), they forget there is a world elsewhere.

Green shoots are already emerging, as other countries start to realise the possibilities of free trade deals with a newly-liberated Britain, less than a week after the referendum:
The United States: We take it back

Many still remember Barack Obama’s interjection into the referendum debate, in which he told voters to stay in the EU – and was promptly ignored.
In one veiled threat he claimed an independent Britain, would be at the “back of the queue.”
Since Friday, however, the tune has changed and he assured the special relationship between the countries hasn’t suffered.
Iceland was the first country to offer Britain a trade deal following the referendum.

Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, Iceland’s president, said the UK can join a “triangle” of non-EU countries, including Greenland, Iceland, Norway and the Faroe Islands in the European Free Trade Area (EFTA).
Despite confessing himself not in love with the idea of Brexit, he talked up the opportunities it could bring to the North Atlantic in an interview with Icelandic media.
India: Can we finally have a deal with someone in Europe?

The one-time colony (which has almost three times as many citizens as the EU) is looking forward to striking a deal, according to reports in the Financial Times.

The EU’s last attempt at a deal began nine years ago and has stalled with no obvious prospect of resumption.
Indian deputy finance minister Jayant Sinha said: “The UK is going to look to build its relationships with the rest of the world, and will seek to pursue new opportunities with us.”

Germany: Free trade, please, but don’t tell Merkel

Although as an EU member it has no power to strike its own deal, Germany – Britain’s biggest trade partner – is keen to keep the doors open.

The German Finance Ministry advised the EU to enter into negotiations aiming at making the UK an “associated partner country” of the trade block.

This comes after Germany industry giants pressed the government to strike a free trade deal in the event of Britain leaving the EU.

Tell you what, just read the article :)
http://heatst.com/uk/11-countries-gearing-up-to-strike-trade-deals-with-britain/

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Politicians in US, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea push for new UK trade deals after Brexit.

While Brexit doom-mongers have been focussing on the challenges of keeping access to the EU’s single market (16% of global trade – less once we’re gone), they forget there is a world elsewhere.

Green shoots are already emerging, as other countries start to realise the possibilities of free trade deals with a newly-liberated Britain, less than a week after the referendum:

Many still remember Barack Obama’s interjection into the referendum debate, in which he told voters to stay in the EU – and was promptly ignored.
In one veiled threat he claimed an independent Britain, would be at the “back of the queue.”
Since Friday, however, the tune has changed and he assured the special relationship between the countries hasn’t suffered.
Iceland was the first country to offer Britain a trade deal following the referendum.

Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, Iceland’s president, said the UK can join a “triangle” of non-EU countries, including Greenland, Iceland, Norway and the Faroe Islands in the European Free Trade Area (EFTA).
Despite confessing himself not in love with the idea of Brexit, he talked up the opportunities it could bring to the North Atlantic in an interview with Icelandic media.

The one-time colony (which has almost three times as many citizens as the EU) is looking forward to striking a deal, according to reports in the Financial Times.

The EU’s last attempt at a deal began nine years ago and has stalled with no obvious prospect of resumption.
Indian deputy finance minister Jayant Sinha said: “The UK is going to look to build its relationships with the rest of the world, and will seek to pursue new opportunities with us.”

Although as an EU member it has no power to strike its own deal, Germany – Britain’s biggest trade partner – is keen to keep the doors open.

The German Finance Ministry advised the EU to enter into negotiations aiming at making the UK an “associated partner country” of the trade block.

This comes after Germany industry giants pressed the government to strike a free trade deal in the event of Britain leaving the EU.

http://heatst.com/uk/11-countries-gearing-up-to-strike-trade-deals-with-britain/

Encouraging news.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

They remainers really need to remove their heads from the sand. It's a big beautiful world out there and they're queuing up to trade with us. Without having to go through the Eu first.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I really hope so. Believe it or not i worry as well, i am in the Construction Industry which is first hit at the sign of a recession...i still do not regret my vote Leave though, in fact things are looking up..........hopefully. :)

Exactly that.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I really hope so. Believe it or not i worry as well, i am in the Construction Industry which is first hit at the sign of a recession...i still do not regret my vote Leave though, in fact things are looking up..........hopefully. :)

Soulman - I really hope you are right, but I fear that construction will be hard hit. What is happening now (which was entirely predictable - indeed predicted by many "experts") is that companies are deferring investment. I know of at least £1bn of projects in my industry which are now on hold - just from speaking to a very few counterparts. These decisions (the defer investment) will probably deliver a recession. Hopefully this will be short term. But construction companies will definitely be amongst the worst impacted.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
They remainers really need to remove their heads from the sand. It's a big beautiful world out there and they're queuing up to trade with us. Without having to go through the Eu first.

We are all leavers now. And Theresa May is saying all the right things about getting on with the business of Brexit. #optimistic

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Poor old Guardian has to give it's traumatised readership a straw to clutch at :lolol:

No worries the European high court will overturn and allow article 50...it's what they do.....allegedly :jester: :lolol:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

I'm in courier services......will let you know when things slow........may have a long wait though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports