Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
...all the Brexit clowns at the top of this thread who think the referendum was an instruction to end free movement of people were right despite the specific question not being on the ballot paper.

No they weren't!

It is simply not true, you may like to think they were but you and everyone else who voted thinking that would be wrong.

What may happen as a result is that free movement is stopped, but that is not what people were voting on, and much less giving an instruction to do so. It may be what drove people to vote leave, but that's not what they were actually doing.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
My kids are in their twenties and we talk, we respect we may have different views. Vote in private and continue the debate afterwards. Have to admit it has been LIVELY though!

My mum voted out and i can't bare to talk to her at the moment. She won't discuss her choice with me... Her political views are always opposite to me.. Silly woman :)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My mum voted out and i can't bare to talk to her at the moment. She won't discuss her choice with me... Her political views are always opposite to me.. Silly woman :)
I hope you never bare to talk to your mum! :sick:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I hope you never bare to talk to your mum! :sick:

Bear :)

Capture.PNG

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
By that logic anyone leaving the country from now on in should be campaigning to get us to rejoin the EU immediately, since they are now leaving the UK rather than the EU.

well......what i meant was that people such as myself who left England nearly 30 years ago really do not qualify to comment on this subject as they no longer live , work or pay taxes in England.if you choose to leave a country to live and work elsewhere then you cannot expect to dictate to people who are still living in that country.

D

Deleted member 22389

Leave means leave and I wish the BBC would stop being so bloody negative.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
well......what i meant was that people such as myself who left England nearly 30 years ago really do not qualify to comment on this subject as they no longer live , work or pay taxes in England.if you choose to leave a country to live and work elsewhere then you cannot expect to dictate to people who are still living in that country.

That's more sensible but I think you can have an opinion, just not a vote. I lived in Sydney for a year and its my opinion that most of the pubs round The Rocks are shit. They may have changed and I can't change them now but I still remember them!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Just heard another pro REMAIN argument... Not that there isn't a load already...

60% of the companies outside of the EU have their EU head quarters in Britain. So whatevers going to happen next all of those jobs have gone, that's a minimum.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Just heard another pro REMAIN argument... Not that there isn't a load already...

60% of the companies outside of the EU have their EU head quarters in Britain. So whatevers going to happen next all of those jobs have gone, that's a minimum.
Bye bye American Express unless we get access to the market ? ???

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
That's rather the problem with the referendum though, isn't it. People were asked one, simple, non-binding question; should the UK Leave the EU or Remain in the EU?

No mention of free movement or free trade. No mention, even of WHEN we should leave. No mention at all of the EEA or Council of Europe.

Of course many found just answering the simple question difficult enough. 25% of the country or more chose not to answer it at all. The campaigns on both sides quickly deteriorated in to rhetoric, lies and scare stories, precisely because the question, whilst seeming definite, was actually very vague.

Ask a child if they would like fish fingers and the ones that like them will say yes and the ones that don't no, and you have a simple decision on who to give fish fingers to. Ask them if they would like chicken nuggets or a burger instead, with or without chips, peas and ketchup, and you suddenly get a divided room where no one can agree on one course of action. Same here.

Another analogy would be chimps choosing apples or bananas. Apart from the turnout would be 100%.

D

Deleted member 22389

Nothing like a bit of positivity. You don't know what is going to happen. Where did you here that on the BBC?

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
What if we don't get the EU Banking passport ? Does that matter ?

Yes it does. Massively. My sense is that Amex along with all other large financial institutions in the UK will not be making bold statements to the press that they are pulling out of the UK because of the negative reaction. I don't believe any of them will move lock stock and barrel because there are particular jobs, business operations and talented people that need to stay residing in the UK. However, what we will see from all finance companies is a gradual migration of jobs either back to the US or to other EU markets and certainly thinking twice about making additional investment decisions into the UK.

D

Deleted member 22389

What if we don't get the EU Banking passport ? Does that matter ?

Not to me, the banks did a good job of wrecking this country where everyone was queuing up to get their money out, and everyone was up in arms, now the banks are everyone's best friend. The country would survive. Shame people don't get uptight about the lack of manufacturing in this country.

Last edited by a moderator:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes it does. Massively. My sense is that Amex along with all other large financial institutions in the UK will not be making bold statements to the press that they are pulling out of the UK because of the negative reaction. I don't believe any of them will move lock stock and barrel because there are particular jobs, business operations and talented people that need to stay residing in the UK. However, what we will see from all finance companies is a gradual migration of jobs either back to the US or to other EU markets and certainly thinking twice about making additional investment decisions into the UK.

finance companies are in London for more than the passporting and that wont change. no ones want to live in Frankfurt, its a soulless place, while French banks move operations to London which tells you a lot about being in Paris. companies will set up brass plates on the continent if needed, as they already do in and out of any country as required. clearing Eurobonds might move to somewhere in europe but trading will continue outside the Eurozone just as it occurs outside the EU already.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not to me, the banks did a good job of wrecking this country where everyone was queuing up to get their money out, and everyone was up in arms, now the banks are everyone's best friend. The country would survive. Shame people don't get uptight about the lack of manufacturing in this country.

There is a difference between surviving and thriving.
I am uptight about the lack of manufacturing in this country, that is partly what makes the financial services so important to the national economy. But let me say, we would have to make an awful lot of toasters, or Tellys or whatever to make up for the loss of even 5% of the tax take from the City.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here