Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Just heard Steve Baker describe this as an excellent deal for NI as it effectively allows them the best of both worlds, both the EU market and the GB market. I'm sure our Scottish neighbours will be thrilled for them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The first signs that the grown ups are starting to reassert themselves. Would be terrific if he faced down the tantrums from the ERG on this.
Would have been better had Cameron faced them down nearly 8 years ago, but if he does (which I hope he will), we may be able to start the long haul back to some sort of economic stability :thumbsup:

Just heard Steve Baker describe this as an excellent deal for NI as it effectively allows them the best of both worlds, both the EU market and the GB market. I'm sure our Scottish neighbours will be thrilled for them.

I believe that Steve Baker sold out for a promotion some time ago, which reminds me, an old mate must owe me a drink on that
Person 1. "You've worked with these new people, Truss, Kwarteng, Braverman and Cleverly, are they all just complete narcissists ?"
Person 2. "Cleverly isn't so bad"
Person 1. "What, he sticks to his political principles ?"
Person 2. "Well I wouldn't say principled"
Person 1. "There must be someone in Cabinet that you know who actually sticks to what they believe in"
Person 2. "Well, you may be surprised but Steve Baker is a nice bloke who tends to stick to his beliefs"
Person 1. "So he actually sticks to his political beliefs"
Person 2. "I think so, yes .............................. unfortunately batshit crazy, but probably principled"

:lolol::lolol::lolol:
or sadly not :wink:

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Good job Boris and Ursula didn't get on as she has 7 kids. Unless ........ Maybe that is why they don't get on now. Perhaps he is behind on payments.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Isn't Steve Baker Mr ERG anymore or has he been kicked out as he dared to take a ministerial job?
To paraphrase an old political quote, they stuffed his mouth with gold.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Johnson will be fuming over this as well.
Well there's certainly a hell of a lot of effort going into this attempt to face down the Brexiteers and DUP, from all sides

Rishi trying to use Royalty to force the DUP and ERG's hands

News that king will host EU chief sparks fury from DUP and Brexiters
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...t-eu-chief-sparks-fury-from-dup-and-brexiters

Whilst Ursula and the EU dangle the Horizon science carrot

Live news: UK can take part in Horizon Europe research scheme following Brexit deal​

https://www.ft.com/content/37ae0ed1-9f7e-46fe-af03-62aa5a129306

Hope it comes off :thumbsup:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Nice to have a PM that can show outstanding leadership
That'll be the one who was in the second most senior post in Government and backed fully the deal that he is now rewriting and claiming was 'unimplementable'. It will certainly be the best thing anyone in Government has achieved in the last 3 years, reversing something that they all backed fully :facepalm:

A little perspective maybe, I hear Kwasi Kwarteng tells a great knock knock joke :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well there's certainly a hell of a lot of effort going into this attempt to face down the Brexiteers and DUP, from all sides

Rishi trying to use Royalty to force the DUP and ERG's hands

News that king will host EU chief sparks fury from DUP and Brexiters
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...t-eu-chief-sparks-fury-from-dup-and-brexiters

Whilst Ursula and the EU dangle the Horizon science carrot

Live news: UK can take part in Horizon Europe research scheme following Brexit deal​

https://www.ft.com/content/37ae0ed1-9f7e-46fe-af03-62aa5a129306

Hope it comes off :thumbsup:
It’s normal for the monarch to meet a head of ‘state’ visiting the country.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nice to have a PM that can show outstanding leadership
Would be, wouldn't it.

Nevertheless, I see this as a first step to better relations with the EU which will pave the way nicely for our inevitable return to the single market in a few years and our path back to membership of the EU. In that sense, great news.

Last edited:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Sunak is the closest thing the Conservative Party has to a grown up, but he’s alone in a party of angry children, who will still have plenty of opportunity to try and derail this. Either because “it doesn’t go far enough” in their plan to turn Britain into Europe’s laughing stock, or because, y’know “Bring Back Boris.” Which is a bit like Scientologists trying to resurrect L. Ron Hubbard. Really popular among the same people who thought Liz Truss would make a great PM, poison to the rest of us.

As others have pointed out, Sunak held the position of Chancellor of the Exchequer during Johnson’s reign, so is barely credible himself, having happily aided and abetted the vandalism of the last few years.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nonsense...
Ha! Keep telling yourself that. There simply isn’t a future scenario for the U.K. where we don’t rejoin the EU .

Expect to see these flags together more and more in the coming years 👍

50906833-BBD0-4499-B28C-0FF9FAEE96EB.jpeg

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sunak really giving himself a pat on the back for this.

It really is like someone totalling someone's car and proudly handing back the pine tree air freshener they managed to save form the blaze. And expecting a thank you.
The EU have finally realised that Brexit was, in part, an astonishingly successful Russian foreign policy designed to divide Europe. The one positive thing about this awful war is that it’s bringing us closer to Europe again. I expect Starmer to accelerate the process massively when he gets the keys to number 10.

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sunak is the closest thing the Conservative Party has to a grown up, but he’s alone in a party of angry children, who will still have plenty of opportunity to try and derail this. Either because “it doesn’t go far enough” in their plan to turn Britain into Europe’s laughing stock, or because, y’know “Bring Back Boris.” Which is a bit like Scientologists trying to resurrect L. Ron Hubbard. Really popular among the same people who thought Liz Truss would make a great PM, poison to the rest of us.

As others have pointed out, Sunak held the position of Chancellor of the Exchequer during Johnson’s reign, so is barely credible himself, having happily aided and abetted the vandalism of the last few years.
Mrs DiS and I were agreeing last night that, even though we don’t like his politics, Sunak is at least half way competent and seems to be able to do attention to detail….. which Johnson couldn’t.

interesting discussions on the radio that the Tories are taking this seriously because Sunak was a convinced Brexiteer throughout, whereas Johnson wasn’t - the famous “two articles written” stuff. Has Sunak been very clever in out manoeuvring Johnson, the ERG et al?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here