Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Brexit created an unsolvable problem for the GFA to remain in place. Project Fear in that regard = Project Reality. Whether the Irish Back Stop, Protocol, Green Lane Red Lane - there is no real way of solving this other than a fudge. So Johnson and his cronies just went, **** it, may as well make it a huge great fudge.

As a voter for Brexit, what did you imagine was going to happen with NI directly adjoining the EU via an open border secured by the GFA? I'm curious what people actually thought would happen. In 2016 it seemed obvious what has happened would happen.

I don't know why these English nativists try and argue the point over NI.

Why not just be honest? Basically they don't give a feck about NI, unless it leads to bombs going off again in the cities of Great Britain.

Anyway, I think Truss will be continuity Johnson on NI. The law breaking and lies will continue, the cast is set. With no benefits of Brexit forthcoming anytime soon, picking the Brexit scrab and blaming the EU for their failure is all they have.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I don't know why these English nativists try and argue the point over NI.

Why not just be honest? Basically they don't give a feck about NI, unless it leads to bombs going off again in the cities of Great Britain.

Anyway, I think Truss will be continuity Johnson on NI. The law breaking and lies will continue, the cast is set. With no benefits of Brexit forthcoming anytime soon, picking the Brexit scrab and blaming the EU for their failure is all they have.

opportunist shapeshifters. The country deserves better

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
opportunist shapeshifters. The country deserves better

Interesting suggestion from Sunak to the problems at Dover. Ask the Danes and the Dutch to beef up their ports to ease congestion.

They really have run out of excuses

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I noticed both of the useless specimens contesting the Tory leadership are pretty thin on the details of leveraging the so-called Brexit opportunities. Perhaps Rees Mogg is keeping them up his sleeve?

I heard he's going to release a guide to "How to pimp your Dyson to 2000w". FREEDOM

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I wouldn't expect there to be any kerfuffle crossing that border, because I would expect both sides to exercise pragmatism and to use the exemptions permitted by EU rules to cut down the bureaucracy to the minimum necessary (in this case, none at all). That's been the point all along. They are not legally obliged to carry out all these checks on return tickets and cash in hand and so on, so if they do make these checks it's because (for whatever reason) they have decided the UK gets maximum security checks.

It’s what you voted for ‘Get over it, you won, live with it, cocker’

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It’s what you voted for ‘Get over it, you won, live with it, cocker’
[MENTION=25103]golddene[/MENTION], there are some things in life that are unachievable.

One is getting a corner of the duvet off your wife at 4 o'clock in the morning, and the other is getting a Brexiteer to accept that any kerfuffle will ever be the product of Brexit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wouldn't expect there to be any kerfuffle crossing that border, because I would expect both sides to exercise pragmatism and to use the exemptions permitted by EU rules to cut down the bureaucracy to the minimum necessary (in this case, none at all). That's been the point all along. They are not legally obliged to carry out all these checks on return tickets and cash in hand and so on, so if they do make these checks it's because (for whatever reason) they have decided the UK gets maximum security checks.

Have you ever watched that UK Border Patrol program? Heathrow and Gatwick Border ask inbounds how long they intend to stay, the reason for their visit, who paid for their ticket and ask about how much money they have etc. In fact, at the very least every single visit I have made to the US and Japan has done the same. Should the UK, US etc now totally abandon this in the name of pragmatism and bureaucracy?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
'We are 6 years on from the advisory referendum that was called solely for the purpose of healing the rift in the Tory Party. Not only has the result ironically led to the political death of 3 Tory Prime Ministers and soon undoubtedly a 4th, but it has also polarised England, at the same time as advancing the cause of independence for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. A disunited Tory party and a dis United Kingdom. And every month that goes by sees an increasing amount of damage to our country from Brexit. In this video, I’ll be summarising just SOME of the Brexit related horror stories reported in the past month and asking the question, is there any hope for those of us wanting to build bridges back to Europe and regain Britain’s reputation as a law abiding, serious nation?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVtp4orlK74

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've found a Brexit benefit, for all those woke, veggie, animal rights type people, even if it wasn't intended :facepalm:

Game over for UK shooting season as bird flu and Brexit take a heavy toll

Dozens of pheasant and partridge shoots have been called off ahead of the shooting season after an unprecedented outbreak of avian flu in France left gamekeepers in the UK with few birds to rear. This year’s dramatic reduction in game birds will also affect beaters, catering companies and restaurants, Boulton said, adding that 75% of rural land is managed for shooting of some type including game, and the industry is worth about £2.4bn.

After avian flu is detected on a farm, the birds are culled and 30 days later the farmer can start trading birds domestically – which for French farmers means within the EU. But international exports must wait for 90 days, under World Organisation for Animal Health guidelines adopted into UK and EU law.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/game-over-for-uk-shooting-season-as-bird-flu-and-brexit-take-a-heavy-toll/ar-AA108oK2?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBoPWjQ

Now obviously all those gamekeepers being made redundant (and probably losing their homes), together with the redundancies in beaters, caterers, restaurants and £2.4bn hit on the economy aren't good, but if you're going to make omelets. I wonder when JRM will be acclaiming this benefit :shrug:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

When asked what he feared most in his career as PM, Harold Macmillan said, “events dear boy, events.”

And so it is now, and just like their weak to response to COVID, the EU needs to respond to a looming gas crisis. We know how it will be dealt with in the playbook……..it will be more EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...y-to-europe-via-nord-stream-at-lower-capacity

“Member states were also asked to give Brussels the power to introduce compulsory energy rationing, which would allow a prioritisation of supplies in case Russia cut off gas to Europe entirely.”

Independent nation states surrendering their sovereignty to an unelected cabal without consulting their electorates is not a good look……you will never square that circle, you can only hope they deal with it competently. Time will tell, but COVID was not a good precedent.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
When asked what he feared most in his career as PM, Harold Macmillan said, “events dear boy, events.”

And so it is now, and just like their weak to response to COVID, the EU needs to respond to a looming gas crisis. We know how it will be dealt with in the playbook……..it will be more EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...y-to-europe-via-nord-stream-at-lower-capacity

“Member states were also asked to give Brussels the power to introduce compulsory energy rationing, which would allow a prioritisation of supplies in case Russia cut off gas to Europe entirely.”

Independent nation states surrendering their sovereignty to an unelected cabal without consulting their electorates is not a good look……you will never square that circle, you can only hope they deal with it competently. Time will tell, but COVID was not a good precedent.

No impartial and pragmatic viewpoint from you then...
this is an interesting, if complex article..... I welcome your thoughts....

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...-19-response-compare-to-others-in-Europe.aspx

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
[/B]

No impartial and pragmatic viewpoint from you then...
this is an interesting, if complex article..... I welcome your thoughts....

https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...-19-response-compare-to-others-in-Europe.aspx

The affects ot COVID and economic performance will vary across countries in any event, some countries industries will be more resilient to the effects of lockdown, in some respect this is why the EU will always fail when faced with a crisis like COVID.

https://carnegieeurope.eu/strategiceurope/84286

If this gas crisis is the next one for the EU the risks are clear to see…….some countries will need to share surplus with others, and at a time when energy prices are soaring. EU politicians/technocrats can talk about EU solidarity all they like, that doesn’t cut it locally when the shit hits the fan.

By the way I hope they do find a way through it, the U.K. won’t be unaffected, our politicians however now know all too well that they can’t offset the blame for getting it wrong. As it should be.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The affects ot COVID and economic performance will vary across countries in any event, some countries industries will be more resilient to the effects of lockdown, in some respect this is why the EU will always fail when faced with a crisis like COVID.

https://carnegieeurope.eu/strategiceurope/84286

If this gas crisis is the next one for the EU the risks are clear to see…….some countries will need to share surplus with others, and at a time when energy prices are soaring. EU politicians/technocrats can talk about EU solidarity all they like, that doesn’t cut it locally when the shit hits the fan.

By the way I hope they do find a way through it, the U.K. won’t be unaffected, our politicians however now know all too well that they can’t offset the blame for getting it wrong. As it should be.

I'm sure all those who are going to suffer from our economic shitstorm over the next few years, significant parts of which have been exacerbated or caused by Brexit, will be re-assured by that.

Just lucky that yourself and your fellow Brexiteers managed to get us Johnson and Truss/Sunak to manage our way through it :shootself

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Finally, the identity of Cunning Fergus is known...

"Minister blames France for recent problems and suggests Britons might go to Portugal instead"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/02/jacob-rees-mogg-admits-i-was-wrong-to-say-brexit-would-not-cause-dover-delays

“Yes, of course I got it wrong, but I got it wrong for the right reason, if I may put it that way” :lolol::facepalm:

Compare and contrast grasshopper………

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ang...guese Alliance (or,still in force by politics.

https://francehistory.wordpress.com...y-governments-policy-towards-britain-1940-42/

Plus ca change as they say in France.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
6 years of liars and charlatans summarised in 3 minutes by Led by Donkeys

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys/status/1554726640864870400

Top work guys....

I didn't relaise JRM had actually come up with Brexit opportunities, so we can add Henry Hoovers suction power and signs in the dartford tunnel to the list with the happy fish?

No wonder mock the week was cancelled, current politics have gone beyond parody

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here