Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wasn't planning of doing so but OK, I'll play. Although I do think this belongs in the Brexit thread.

Firstly, we've not left Europe - we've left a political union called the EU. We're still part of Europe. You may not agree with us leaving nor agree that 'Brexit has been done' BUT we're no longer members of the EU.

There's been a number of posts about 'Brexiteers running away' - I obviously paraphrase. It's because most of us, and I'm slightly hesitant to speak for others, just wanted to leave an organisation that prevented us from controlling ALL our own affairs. We have left - job done. That includes who we let in to the country - not how many. As a member of the EU we couldn't properly control who came in. I don't care about the numbers - double or triple them for all I care, just make sure they are the right people to benefit our country and economy.

Equally, the world has moved towards a less conglomerate perspective - more nationalistic if you like - viewpoint. There is nothing wrong with that. Even the UK will break up shortly no doubt. But what that does is put power closer to the normal person. Centralisation is a crap idea - power locally is good. The EU is all about centralisation - ECB, decisions on legal issues, and while some will decry it as a lie, an EU army - controlled by the EU not individual nations - with NATO the individual nations control what their armed forces do. And before anyone slaps me down on that point, both Macron and Merkel ( although she's now gone ) have suggested that is the direction of travel.

Covid aside, it is still very easy to travel and live in the EU member states. I say that as someone that owns a house in France. Generally there has been no effect on most peoples lives.

That's fair enough that you have the independence that you wanted, but we still have to sort out the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol, the new raft of export regulations in a weeks time and we still have no import controls in place, so you can probably see why a large number of people don't think 'Brexit is done'.

And as for having no effect on people's lives, have you seen what it has done to our GDP, Fishing industry, Agriculture industry, Logistics, Anyone who exports, etc etc I think that there are large numbers of people who own and run businesses who have been catastrophically effected. I appreciate that working for a large organisation, any effect is likely to be delayed.

You have mentioned a couple of times now about the house you have recently inherited in France, have you had a chance to visit it yet ? (I agree that this would be best continued on the Brexit thread, so I've put it there :thumbsup:)

Jan 30, 2008
That's fair enough that you have the independence that you wanted, but we still have to sort out the unimplementable Northern Ireland Protocol, the new raft of export regulations in a weeks time and we still have no import controls in place, so you can probably see why a large number of people don't think 'Brexit is done'.

And as for having no effect on people's lives, have you seen what it has done to our GDP, Fishing industry, Agriculture industry, Logistics, Anyone who exports, etc etc I think that there are large numbers of people who own and run businesses who have been catastrophically effected. I appreciate that working for a large organisation, any effect is likely to be delayed.

You have mentioned a couple of times now about the house you have recently inherited in France, have you had a chance to visit it yet ? (I agree that this would be best continued on the Brexit thread, so I've put it there :thumbsup:)

I've mentioned a couple of times if you're happy or unhappy with the NI protocol any thoughts yet I know it's a busy time of the year ?

Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In case we don't have enough problems with Covid, Inflation, Soaring energy prices, etc etc

Merry Xmas :shootself

Brexit: Prices could rise even more as import rules are toughened up in New Year

Despite leaving the European Union on 1 January 2020, the Government has delayed many of the customs laws that were due to come into force last year. However, the six-month grace period to declare the origin of products entering the country from the EU ends on New Year’s Eve, and this could lead to a delivery delays and additional costs for bringing everyday supermarket products into the UK.

Simon Sutcliffe, a partner at tax and advisory firm Blick Rothenberg, believes Government delays in implementing the full impact of the post-Brexit customs laws – known as Rules of Origin – have “softened the impact” of the UK’s exit from the European Union, and that “things will get worse” when they are finally brought in from January 2022. “The longer and more costly process would lead to higher costs for the consumer as things become more time-critical and agents have to work harder to clear goods on arrival, and not relying on that six-month breathing space. This means that customs agents will raise their prices which will be passed on.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexit-prices-could-rise-even-more-as-import-rules-are-toughened-up-in-new-year/ar-AAS5t88

Jan 30, 2008
In case we don't have enough problems with Covid, Inflation, Soaring energy prices, etc etc

Merry Xmas :shootself

Brexit: Prices could rise even more as import rules are toughened up in New Year

Despite leaving the European Union on 1 January 2020, the Government has delayed many of the customs laws that were due to come into force last year. However, the six-month grace period to declare the origin of products entering the country from the EU ends on New Year’s Eve, and this could lead to a delivery delays and additional costs for bringing everyday supermarket products into the UK.

Simon Sutcliffe, a partner at tax and advisory firm Blick Rothenberg, believes Government delays in implementing the full impact of the post-Brexit customs laws – known as Rules of Origin – have “softened the impact” of the UK’s exit from the European Union, and that “things will get worse” when they are finally brought in from January 2022. “The longer and more costly process would lead to higher costs for the consumer as things become more time-critical and agents have to work harder to clear goods on arrival, and not relying on that six-month breathing space. This means that customs agents will raise their prices which will be passed on.”

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexit-prices-could-rise-even-more-as-import-rules-are-toughened-up-in-new-year/ar-AAS5t88

So , let's cut too the chase
1 .you voted to remain in the EU twice
2. You're more then happy for NI to remain under EU custom rules but will continue to complain about it on NSC

Have a happy Christmas :bigwave:

Regards
DF

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So , let's cut too the chase
1 .you voted to remain in the EU twice
2. You're more then happy for NI to remain under EU custom rules but will continue to complain about it on NSC

Have a happy Christmas :bigwave:

Regards
DF

NI aren't remaining under 'EU customs rules' because the Northern Ireland Protocol can't be implemented, you moron. That's the whole point :dunce:

Just when I think you couldn't be more stupid, you manage to find a whole new level :lolol:

And a merry Xmas to you my little racist, anti-Semite, homophobic, scrounging, nazi supporting idiot :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
you're supposed to snub those products and buy Australian cheese instead
Is there such a thing as Australian Brie? ... In other news I noticed that we are throwing open the doors to overseas care workers, due to staff shortages... Apparently they can bring a partner and dependants too! So, we have lost easy tariff free access to the EU and taken back control of our borders.. And then had to relinquish said control..... This is going so well!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Is there such a thing as Australian Brie? ... In other news I noticed that we are throwing open the doors to overseas care workers, due to staff shortages... Apparently they can bring a partner and dependants too! So, we have lost easy tariff free access to the EU and taken back control of our borders.. And then had to relinquish said control..... This is going so well!

Staff shortages? need foreign workers ? who knew !! It is quite incredible the government boasts about the number of job vacancies after deliberately creating chronic staff shortages thoughout all industries.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
In the true spirit of Xmas which ,long ago saw the troops in opposite trenches lay down their rifles and come together for a game of football, I offer the gift of good Brexit news.

In today's Mail on Sunday, there's an article which forecasts that the UK economy will overtake the French economy within 15 years,

Oh, hang on - 99% of the MoS readership won't be around by then. Still good things come to those who wait.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
In the true spirit of Xmas which ,long ago saw the troops in opposite trenches lay down their rifles and come together for a game of football, I offer the gift of good Brexit news.

In today's Mail on Sunday, there's an article which forecasts that the UK economy will overtake the French economy within 15 years,

Oh, hang on - 99% of the MoS readership won't be around by then. Still good things come to those who wait.
Typical Guardian reader misrepresenting a story from a superior publication. Our economy is already larger [emoji106]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ears-time-thanks-booming-tech-investment.html

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Typical Guardian reader misrepresenting a story from a superior publication. Our economy is already larger [emoji106]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ears-time-thanks-booming-tech-investment.html

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

That'll be the same Daily Mail group who recently tried to defend their own article that they had published by saying “no reasonable person was likely to take the claim seriously” – an argument dismissed by Ipso :facepalm:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/ipso-complaint-over-mailonlines-no-go-areas-for-white-people-upheld/ar-AAS8rVW?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBoPWjQ

Actually taking the piss out of their own readers :lolol::lolol::lolol:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That was a quick ban .... welcome back.

Not for the first time (nor I suspect the last) it appears you have absolutely no idea what you are on about :shrug:

But since you are back from your latest ban and on the Brexit thread once again, have you used the time off to come up with any idea of an alternative to the Northern Ireland Protocol that you campaigned and voted for and have now decided you don't want ?

forrest-gump-running-forrest-gump.gif

:bigwave:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not for the first time (nor I suspect the last) it appears you have absolutely no idea what you are on about :shrug:

But since you are back from your latest ban and on the Brexit thread once again, have you used the time off to come up with any idea of an alternative to the Northern Ireland Protocol that you campaigned and voted for and have now decided you don't want ?

View attachment 143087

:bigwave:

My sincerest apologies, I just assumed your recent post ...

NI aren't remaining under 'EU customs rules' because the Northern Ireland Protocol can't be implemented, you moron. That's the whole point :dunce:

Just when I think you couldn't be more stupid, you manage to find a whole new level :lolol:

And a merry Xmas to you my little racist, anti-Semite, homophobic, scrounging, nazi supporting idiot :thumbsup:

.... would have fallen foul of the excellent new NSC guidelines ( If you make a habit of writing in a way that largely seeks to diminish, belittle, undermine, divide, discriminate and mock then your days on NSC will be numbered, and I will give no apology for kicking you off here, for good, without further warning.) and you had been banned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here