Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So why hasn’t the UK-Japan deal resolved it? I thought it was supposed to be better?
As Honda made clear this is a global restructuring decision.The European market is less important compared to the US, China/Japan markets and now they have tariff free access on the horizon I'm not sure how you expect us to 'resolve it'.

After all, the #teameu crew describe tax payer funded incentives encouraging them to stay as 'bribes' and an outrage .... moan when we do intervene, moan when we don't intervene ... same old same old.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As Honda made clear this is a global restructuring decision.The European market is less important compared to the US, China/Japan markets and now they have tariff free access on the horizon I'm not sure how you expect us to 'resolve it'.

After all, the #teameu crew describe tax payer funded incentives encouraging them to stay as 'bribes' and an outrage .... moan when we do intervene, moan when we don't intervene ... same old same old.

So you’re saying the signing of a trade deal between the EU and Japan has resulted in this country suffering economically? Almost like we don’t have as much global influence as we had a few years ago. I wonder why that is?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So you’re saying the signing of a trade deal between the EU and Japan has resulted in this country suffering economically? Almost like we don’t have as much global influence as we had a few years ago. I wonder why that is?
I'm saying Honda made a global strategic decision to close two factories supplying a less important market and the EU Japan deal ending tariffs in the coming years obviously makes it easier for them to import cars to Europe in the future. To put it simply, they didn't shut the factories because of the EU deal but it almost certainly reduced any perceived downside.

This has naff all to do with 'global influence' and everything to do with a multi national company making investement and production decisions they think are best for their profit margin.

Speaking of global influence, can you explain how we managed to role over nearly all the trade deals we had with third countries while in the EU, when supposedly being a member of such a powerful trading block = better trade deals than can be achieved by individual nation states?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looks like the economy is losing badly because of Brexit.

[tweet]1420401920162897920[/tweet]

If only the Government had CHOSEN a different type of Brexit.

Join the EEA now you fools.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Indeed, cheaper wine on the way [emoji106]

Would closing Honda factories have happened (both here and in Turkey) if the EU Japan trade deal hadn't been signed, reducing, then removing tarrifs on importing cars over the coming years?

Of course if we'd been around the table we could have ensured the EU / Japan trade protected our own interests, sadly we weren't. We've lost our influence

Enjoy your cheaper wine when it comes

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Meanwhile back on topic

e7754789499e22c42dab53ff5a27b5d8.jpg

Only another 4 years, 5 months and 3 days until your thread has any relevance [emoji23][emoji23][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
f8cf5acf0381c7055ce109668b1f00b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Says the person who still can't offer a single tangible benefit of Brexit...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
a7829e1c1490533f4d9cd5f09b69a84c.jpg

18511963d2ca1f4e982254de79668a09.jpg

These were the scenes in Asda, Ferring, tomorrow afternoon, as swivel eyed Brexit voters struggle to name one tangible benefit of leaving the Fourth Reich.
One racist told us “ I voted to leave in 2016, now I feel like a Turkey that voted for Christmas, I’ve shot myself in the face,my house has been repossessed and me and the wife are having to survive by eating our own earwax.”

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well who could have seen that coming - from 1 hour ago :wink:

It appears that Johnson is doing his best to try and wipe out yet another long term, established and profitable British Industry :dunce:

Brexit rancour and Boris Johnson’s plan to rip up Northern Ireland deal spell trouble for UK legal industry

Our populist Prime Minister has spent decades baiting the EU. Most recently, he announced Britain’s plan to rip up the Brexit deal it signed. But having done his best to alienate EU leaders, Boris Johnson needs a favour from them. We need permission from France, Germany et al to rejoin an international treaty, the Lugano Convention, or risk hamstringing a large part of Britain’s valuable legal services industry. The UK dropped out of the treaty because of Brexit. It applied to rejoin in April 2020. But EU members torpedoed the application. And the chances of them changing their minds is looking increasingly unlikely.

Dominic Grieve, the former Solicitor General, says being cast out is bad news for an industry that added nearly £60bn to the UK economy in 2018, according to the Law Society. “This is one very negative consequence of Brexit. And the recent announcement on going back on the Northern Ireland protocol will only have made things worse. Until we get the trust back, there’s not going to be any change,” he says.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-rancour-and-boris-johnsons-plan-to-rip-up-northern-ireland-deal-spell-trouble-for-uk-legal-industry-1125319

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

It appears that Johnson is doing his best to try and wipe out yet another long term, established and profitable British Industry :dunce:

Brexit rancour and Boris Johnson’s plan to rip up Northern Ireland deal spell trouble for UK legal industry

Our populist Prime Minister has spent decades baiting the EU. Most recently, he announced Britain’s plan to rip up the Brexit deal it signed. But having done his best to alienate EU leaders, Boris Johnson needs a favour from them. We need permission from France, Germany et al to rejoin an international treaty, the Lugano Convention, or risk hamstringing a large part of Britain’s valuable legal services industry. The UK dropped out of the treaty because of Brexit. It applied to rejoin in April 2020. But EU members torpedoed the application. And the chances of them changing their minds is looking increasingly unlikely.

Dominic Grieve, the former Solicitor General, says being cast out is bad news for an industry that added nearly £60bn to the UK economy in 2018, according to the Law Society. “This is one very negative consequence of Brexit. And the recent announcement on going back on the Northern Ireland protocol will only have made things worse. Until we get the trust back, there’s not going to be any change,” he says.

https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/brexit-rancour-and-boris-johnsons-plan-to-rip-up-northern-ireland-deal-spell-trouble-for-uk-legal-industry-1125319

Thanks to our Northern Ireland correspondent for that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
An old friend was asking me yesterday if I had heard of the Lugano convention and the problems with it post Brexit.

Strange it hasn't made any of the mainstream media ???

This isn't about another ridiculous group or rules and standards that made it easier and simpler to work together across many countries is it ? If so, we don't want or need that now, we are British !... and we'd rather be alone in the corner gazing at our almost empty wine glass at this particular party ...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

These were the scenes in Asda, Ferring, tomorrow afternoon, as swivel eyed Brexit voters struggle to name one tangible benefit of leaving the Fourth Reich.
One racist told us “ I voted to leave in 2016, now I feel like a Turkey that voted for Christmas, I’ve shot myself in the face,my house has been repossessed and me and the wife are having to survive by eating our own earwax.”
I had to double check this wasn't posted by one of the 5th column collective ... [emoji1][emoji106]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

More self harm. But I'm sure NSC's leave collective have solutions...

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
More self harm. But I'm sure NSC's leave collective have solutions...

presumably they'll stop waxing lyrical about free trade and rollover deals and then claim that actually a WTO Brexit was exactly what they voted for

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's almost like you can't be an active member of the international community ("Global Britain") while also trying to antagonise your neighbours to appeal to your idiotic base

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Things can't be that bad, still buying French table water after all..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here