Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Before that there were never any Troubles and a Scottish independence referendum in 2014 would have been unthinkable.

There have been Lobbyists fighting for Scottish Independence since the very signing of the Treaty of the Union Hundreds of years ago - I don't say that the Union is a good thing or a bad thing. In some instances it has been great and in some instances it has been awful for Scotland. A bit like the EU in some respects.

However Scottish people should have the right to decide - You cannot have a hypocritical view like Boris Johnson has where he says that the British people have the right to decide whether they remain part of the EU, whilst all the while, denying Scottish people those same Rights to Governing themselves.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very patronising as always HT, still you carry on living in your middle class utopia observing from afar [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Patronising, disagree but can understand why you say this. Middle-class, deeply offensive :angry:

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Id love to see you try to tell that to my wife and her family who whilst all being born in N. Ireland
all have British passports.

My point is that NI was not NI historically a part of England because of the Ulster Plantation in the early 1600s post Nine Years war. Of course everyone can find examples of peoples moving into other areas for a better life whether it was food, from war, politically or for religious reasons. My original point is that neither Scotland or NI was any part of England. There has always been an undercurrent of dissatisfaction of rule from London and for good reason especially amongst catholics in NI hence the troubles.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Ignoring the reasons for wanting to part company with us, has she and her cronies thought about defence. England can easily accommodate the two bases in Scotland in East Anglia. Faslane would fit in Portsmouth, leaving Miss Krankie having to form Scotlands army, navy and air force. Say nothing of the huge financial losses to her economy if that were to happen.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Whilst you’re right about NIMBYism I would imagine they would be home ported back at Plymouth initially this includes the SSN’s which many were based at before and the 4 SSBN’s!

Then the MOD would have to find a suitable base possible in the Northwest or perhaps run the SSBNs out of the US sub base Kings Bay in Georgia?

I was being flippant when I used Brighton as an Example because they wouldn't be based there. One the water isn't deep enough close to shore. And secondly, they would go to somewhere on the West Coast. Somewhere that it is easier to monitor any foreign attempts to attack them from the sea.. They would probably go to Liverpool or Bristol

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A very quick search of Google shows they were a net contributor at least in 2018...3 years ago....I’m sure this didn’t come as a surprise to them. And if it did I’m sure 3 years later they “found out”

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/ireland_en

I think most people realise I enjoy a “battle of wits” on here but it’s just too easy with you. You post something and literally with one simple search I can disprove your post. Not only is this frustrating for me, it must be a little bit embarrassing for you? If you don’t know what you’re talking about why not do a little bit of research first? The internet is really brilliant for this. Trust me, we’ll both benefit.

A battle of wits with T̶w̶o̶ ̶P̶r̶o̶f̶s̶ Baker Lite ? Taking on an unarmed man is just plain bullying HT :wink:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The same was said of Ireland which was pretty much bankrupt 13 years or so ago. Through strategic management and investment its now a highly investable nation with a economy balanced between finance, manufacture, tech, life science, agriculture and service and growth and GDP per capita far better than the U.K. the last time I looked.

I can’t see any reason why Scotland can’t do the same; there’s value in being an English speaking nation within the EU with close proximity and ties to the U.K. I can see many England based businesses setting up an office over the border.....just like they have done in Ireland. If Scotland follows a similar strategy I can see money flowing into the country just like Ireland.

Ireland was given a huge amount of cash from the EU and allowed to start again, cannot see Scotland anytime soon getting anything like that as the EU haven't got a euro to rub together and just lost 10% of it's contributions.

Last time independence was voted on the whole basis of the Scot's economy was oil with an oil price that was never likely to be achieved furthermore it in fact collapsed to a 1/4 of the price they had predicted.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I was being flippant when I used Brighton as an Example because they wouldn't be based there. One the water isn't deep enough close to shore. And secondly, they would go to somewhere on the West Coast. Somewhere that it is easier to monitor any foreign attempts to attack them from the sea.. They would probably go to Liverpool or Bristol

Not a chance, closer to Morcambe , based at either those two ports would require 2 days at least on the surface until the could dive, they’re on the surface for at least 24 hours from Faslane.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ignoring the reasons for wanting to part company with us, has she and her cronies thought about defence. England can easily accommodate the two bases in Scotland in East Anglia. Faslane would fit in Portsmouth, leaving Miss Krankie having to form Scotlands army, navy and air force. Say nothing of the huge financial losses to her economy if that were to happen.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Defend itself from whom ?

Scotland has not built up an Army of Adversaries over the years - The Westminster Government has managed that all on it's own over the years thank you very much.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Very patronising as always HT, still you carry on living in your middle class utopia observing from afar [emoji6]

We would still be waiting for a vaccine roll out:whistle:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Not a chance, closer to Morcambe , based at either those two ports would require 2 days at least on the surface until the could dive, they’re on the surface for at least 24 hours from Faslane.

I don't know the dynamics of that region. I only chose Liverpool or Bristol because these things need constant maintenance

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
A very quick search of Google shows they were a net contributor at least in 2018...3 years ago....I’m sure this didn’t come as a surprise to them. And if it did I’m sure 3 years later they “found out”

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/ireland_en

I think most people realise I enjoy a “battle of wits” on here but it’s just too easy with you. You post something and literally with one simple search I can disprove your post. Not only is this frustrating for me, it must be a little bit embarrassing for you? If you don’t know what you’re talking about why not do a little bit of research first? The internet is really brilliant for this. Trust me, we’ll both benefit.

Your link is a fascinating read for the Fourth Reichers I’m sure.
It says Ireland has been a member of the EU since 1973...I most probably am mistaken, I’m sure the EU did not exist until 1993 ?
Anyhow, I’m sure you’re all going to be very happy together, forward Mein Europa eh .
10ca5f616bd470e81218a62456ce1fa3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ireland was given a huge amount of cash from the EU and allowed to start again, cannot see Scotland anytime soon getting anything like that as the EU haven't got a euro to rub together and just lost 10% of it's contributions.

Last time independence was voted on the whole basis of the Scot's economy was oil with an oil price that was never likely to be achieved furthermore it in fact collapsed to a 1/4 of the price they had predicted.

Scottish Independence is still largely decided upon by the Catholic v Protestant divide - Sad I know but still largely true

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Your link is a fascinating read for the Fourth Reichers I’m sure.
It says Ireland has been a member of the EU since 1973...I most probably am mistaken, I’m sure the EU did not exist until 1993 ?
Anyhow, I’m sure you’re all going to be very happy together, forward Mein Europa eh .
10ca5f616bd470e81218a62456ce1fa3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Farage won - based on lies and half truths and now look at the state of the UK and its prospects. Ironically Farage has breathed life into independence movements of Scotland and NI! Farage won but the result will eventually be the end of the UK.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
And Scotland would have the ''Target off it's back''

England did the exact same as Russia - They deployed their Nuclear Warheads in places like Estonia Ukraine Kazakhstan etc initially. They didn't want Russians living next to them so put the Target on the backs of those countries instead of Russia which is why they fought so hard to keep those countries as long as they did because they knew they would need to move them closer to home.

I actually visited the site where they used to be in Estonia where the Nuclear Warhead which was trained on London used to be. It has all these beautiful Big Houses where you would expect Hollywood Stars to live in right on the Coast of Estonia. - All those big houses ; no one lives in them now because it is too dangerous to live so close to that area of the country after the Russians dismantled the Warheads and moved them closer to home in Russia.

Lets see what happens when the Government in England tells some region in England that they now need to have them on their Doorstep. I am not sure that if the Government says that they will be move to just off the Coast of Brighton, many on here would welcome them with open arms despite the amount of jobs they might bring to the region.

That was the insane thing about Thatcher's decision to have cruise missiles on mobile missile launchers wandering around all over the country. It made the whole of Great Britain a target.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here