Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Will there be an EU to join, now that the UK has left the axis and taken our cash point card with us? I’ll have a sportspersons bet there will be no EU in 10 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UK cash point card, these days I guess this is a credit card as opposed to debit? :lolol:

The U.K. sent 18 billion a year to the EU....if the figures on the bus are to be believed. That’s about the same as the surplus Germany has in its health system alone. I think we’ll be fine, we’ve got loaaaaaaaaadsaaaaaaamoney!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
UK cash point card, these days I guess this is a credit card as opposed to debit? :lolol:

The U.K. sent 18 billion a year to the EU....if the figures on the bus are to be believed. That’s about the same as the surplus Germany has in its health system alone. I think we’ll be fine, we’ve got loaaaaaaaaadsaaaaaaamoney!

Everyone is happy then... fantastic, it as only ever about Germany wasn’t it?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The break up of the UK.

Is the concept of Scotland wanting to decide for themselves whether they are in or out of the EU really that difficult to grasp?

But surely the same could be said about the Brexit vote which iirc a concept you couldn’t grasp leading upto the referendum?

Edit and I might add that their first referendum was 2 years before the Brexit one before you bring the Brexit outcome to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're right. The Scots would over night descend into almost the worse economy within the European continent..

The same was said of Ireland which was pretty much bankrupt 13 years or so ago. Through strategic management and investment its now a highly investable nation with a economy balanced between finance, manufacture, tech, life science, agriculture and service and growth and GDP per capita far better than the U.K. the last time I looked.

I can’t see any reason why Scotland can’t do the same; there’s value in being an English speaking nation within the EU with close proximity and ties to the U.K. I can see many England based businesses setting up an office over the border.....just like they have done in Ireland. If Scotland follows a similar strategy I can see money flowing into the country just like Ireland.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And rumour has it he has a second account which he uses to post ingratiating but rather stupid comments and hapless 'jokes', reserving the other for his bile ???

I have a suspicion one of the Mods is a sociology lecturer, conducting an experiment on the toleration of people by other people who are very different from them, as a 'model' of society. There are a small number of wankers, of course, and they are increasingly ignored by the rest of us, and some are eventually banished from NSC.

We also have a degree of devolution now on NSC, with the separate Covid portal, and the Bear Pit, the latter is a bit like an old school secondary modern or, more accurately, an 'approved school'.

Yes, the more I think about it, we are all being watched, measured, sifted, counted and graded. But why?

View attachment 132889
Maybe we are being sifted prior to the "Great Migration " to the next platform? Maybe the new features will only be for the chosen and the Morlocks will remain in their caverns and stalked by annoying pop ups!

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Spain would do everything in its power to ensure Scotland didn’t join the EU. They have their own reasons for not wanting to encourage separatist movements.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But surely the same could be said about the Brexit vote which iirc a concept you couldn’t grasp leading upto the referendum?

Edit and I might add that their first referendum was 2 years before the Brexit one before you bring the Brexit outcome to the table.

I can grasp the concept, what I didn’t grasp is how many stupid people there are. But, I live and learn and I now fully realise England is largely full of idiots. The UK reaction to Covid truly confirmed any last doubt I had.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
The same was said of Ireland which was pretty much bankrupt 13 years or so ago. Through strategic management and investment its now a highly investable nation with a economy balanced between finance, manufacture, tech, life science, agriculture and service and growth and GDP per capita far better than the U.K. the last time I looked.

I can’t see any reason why Scotland can’t do the same; there’s value in being an English speaking nation within the EU with close proximity and ties to the U.K. I can see many England based businesses setting up an office over the border.....just like they have done in Ireland. If Scotland follows a similar strategy I can see money flowing into the country just like Ireland.

Ireland is about to find out what is to be a net contributor. All the time it was a puppy,having it’s belly rubbed by the axis and having love showered upon it. Now it’s fully grown, but still dependent, the belly rubs will stop, needs to start earning its keep now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Always inevitable that leaving the EU would create firm foundations for Scotland and potentially N Ireland to break away. History says that both Scotland and especially N Ireland has no reason to be part of the UK. Certainly NI historically was never 'British'. Good luck to them both I say.
Currently it's harder to send goods to NI from the UK than it is to move goods from Eire to NI. Many people there are getting their first sight of a future outside the rest of the UK.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I can grasp the concept, what I didn’t grasp is how many stupid people there are. But, I live and learn and I now fully realise England is largely full of idiots. The UK reaction to Covid truly confirmed any last doubt I had.

Very patronising as always HT, still you carry on living in your middle class utopia observing from afar [emoji6]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The break up is coming.

How many people now when asked what nationality are they, now answer English (or Welsh or Scottish) rather than British. The togetherness of a United Kingdom is just something that Johnson and other Tory politicians hang on to.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Currently it's harder to send goods to NI from the UK than it is to move goods from Eire to NI. Many people there are getting their first sight of a future outside the rest of the UK.

What the Brexiteers avoided really well was how the border between NI and the EU would be 'policed' to stop goods crossing IF there was a no deal or IF the deal that was struck created differences in duties payable etc for goods. What they also skilfully avoided was that the border area between NI and Eire actually doesn't exist inasmuch as people cross daily for work and to shop. I served in NI for nearly 4 yrs in the early 80s and there was never any way that the border can be made 'secure'. Its not if, its when NI eventually morphs politically into Eire. One recurring fact for both Scotland and NI is that they were once independent from England and fought against the English to stay independent.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
We’d need to find a new home for our Submarine force, the job losses in the Faslane/Helensburgh region would be catastrophic!

And Scotland would have the ''Target off it's back''

England did the exact same as Russia - They deployed their Nuclear Warheads in places like Estonia Ukraine Kazakhstan etc initially. They didn't want Russians living next to them so put the Target on the backs of those countries instead of Russia which is why they fought so hard to keep those countries as long as they did because they knew they would need to move them closer to home.

I actually visited the site where they used to be in Estonia where the Nuclear Warhead which was trained on London used to be. It has all these beautiful Big Houses where you would expect Hollywood Stars to live in right on the Coast of Estonia. - All those big houses ; no one lives in them now because it is too dangerous to live so close to that area of the country after the Russians dismantled the Warheads and moved them closer to home in Russia.

Lets see what happens when the Government in England tells some region in England that they now need to have them on their Doorstep. I am not sure that if the Government says that they will be move to just off the Coast of Brighton, many on here would welcome them with open arms despite the amount of jobs they might bring to the region.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I absolutely hate Nicola Sturgeon.

The way she continually used the pandemic to point score against the UK was abhorrent. There was a health crisis and she continually used that to undermine the UK.

I believe that it's really important for the UK to stay together to remain a key player on the global arena. This is its own doing though - years and years of growing London and the South East and neglecting all other parts of the UK (inc. Northern England) has resulted in this.

Russia would love for the UK to break apart - and they were successful in doing their bit to get Trump elected, and probably helped out with the Brexit vote too, so they will surely help with any referendums too... so I can see it happening.

The EU though... it's a sinking ship. Scotland should they become independent would be mad to join. I predict Italy will leave followed by France and that will spell the end of the EU as we know it.

Growing London and the South East neglecting all the other pats is just lazy points. All countries centre their efforts around their financial centre but to say the South East over the North is wrong. The investment in swathes of the South east is miles behind that of the Northern areas. Southern Kent, East and West Sussex has the worst infrastructure in the country when you take the demographics into account. There's 12 miles of dual carriageway in the whole of East Sussex the main railway from Hastings to London is single track for over a half of the distance to T Wells. The main road the A21 is the considered the most dangerous road in the UK. East to West roads are a joke. There's been little to no investment yet up North huge investment has taken place.

The perception is always it's the South East that gets the investment it sodding well isn't. Just look at the deprived areas like Hastings, Dover, Folkstone, Thanet all near the top of the list of deprived areas within the whole of the UK.

The fact it keeps on being said, lumping us in with London means it will only get worse and if people living in area keep saying it then there's no hope of it ever changing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ireland is about to find out what is to be a net contributor. All the time it was a puppy,having it’s belly rubbed by the axis and having love showered upon it. Now it’s fully grown, but still dependent, the belly rubs will stop, needs to start earning its keep now.

A very quick search of Google shows they were a net contributor at least in 2018...3 years ago....I’m sure this didn’t come as a surprise to them. And if it did I’m sure 3 years later they “found out”

https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries/member-countries/ireland_en

I think most people realise I enjoy a “battle of wits” on here but it’s just too easy with you. You post something and literally with one simple search I can disprove your post. Not only is this frustrating for me, it must be a little bit embarrassing for you? If you don’t know what you’re talking about why not do a little bit of research first? The internet is really brilliant for this. Trust me, we’ll both benefit.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
And Scotland would have the ''Target off it's back''

England did the exact same as Russia - They deployed their Nuclear Warheads in places like Estonia Ukraine Kazakhstan etc initially. They didn't want Russians living next to them so put the Target on the backs of those countries instead of Russia which is why they fought so hard to keep those countries as long as they did because they knew they would need to move them closer to home.

I actually visited the site where they used to be in Estonia where the Nuclear Warhead which was trained on London used to be. It has all these beautiful Big Houses where you would expect Hollywood Stars to live in right on the Coast of Estonia. - All those big houses ; no one lives in them now because it is too dangerous to live so close to that area of the country after the Russians dismantled the Warheads and moved them closer to home in Russia.

Lets see what happens when the Government in England tells some region in England that they now need to have them on their Doorstep. I am not sure that if the Government says that they will be move to just off the Coast of Brighton, many on here would welcome them with open arms despite the amount of jobs they might bring to the region.

Whilst you’re right about NIMBYism I would imagine they would be home ported back at Plymouth initially this includes the SSN’s which many were based at before and the 4 SSBN’s!

Then the MOD would have to find a suitable base possible in the Northwest or perhaps run the SSBNs out of the US sub base Kings Bay in Georgia?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here