Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Irrespective of which side you are on in relation to Brexit, the government have managed to balls up the whole transition for businesses. I was on a government webinar re customs recently and most people were raising the same questions throughout but the presenters kept giving vague replies that were worse than useless.

I have had to take down all my digital downloads from my website because of the convoluted taxing of the products based on where the customer lives in the EU. This has also affected sales to the USA as my web designers aren't able to differentiate where the customer lives so I can’t allow USA sales and block EU sales.

The likes of DHL and UPS don’t reply when you ask about vat postponement on imported goods so this will hit cashflow for many businesses. Its ok being on top of the Brexit changes but if people you rely on aren't on top of it then the whole pack of cards collapses.

The government need a rocket up their how’s your father to be honest

aside the problems caused by new changes, you need new developers. it cant be that challenging to work out location on selector or their address. seen plenty of sites do so (usually for different carriage rates). and shouldn't you have implemented location identification for EU rules on digital downloads a couple of years ago?

and thinking about it, this isnt aside the problems, its indicative. how poorly communicated was that change? they spent months telling business to adjust, apparently not what to, and didnt think to tell the public. i almost wonder if the politicians even knew what changes were coming, focusing on business to business and ignoring the direct consumer market in and out of UK.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
All the corked whines on this thread are so predictable and dull often leaving a bitter taste in the mouth. The Brexit thread cellar definitely needs a clear-out ..

That would have worked so much better had you posted it as POTG?. He's less angry and traditionally does your 'funny' replies.

Just trying to help :thumbsup:

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I agree completely that the Government need to up their game as far as communicating the details of the Brexit deal and what now needs to be done, but the deal is the deal and the convoluted taxing of products, new VAT rules, rules of origin etc are all within the detail of the deal, agreed and signed. Those aspects aren't going to change.

I can understand the Government struggling with communication given that it was agreed so late in the day, but I'm not sure blaming the Fisherman and Logistics firms for filling forms incorrectly, still claiming there is no border in the Irish sea and trying to blame Covid for empty shelves in NI is the way ahead.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18994060.irish-border-sea-exists-whatever-brandon-lewis-says/
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/17/brexit-delays-for-fishing-sector-are-teething-problems-raab-says/
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/irish-government-scoffs-at-uk-claim-brexit-not-causing-empty-shelves/ar-BB1cXdCT

I think they have to be honest, explain in detail what was in the Brexit deal they signed and help businesses and individuals come to terms with the new processes and procedures they have to adhere to. I can't see any other way forward :shrug:

I think they would have to read it themselves first.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/1...read-brexit-deal-full-downing-street-signals/

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The reason it's a good news story for Nissan is that they believe the Brexit deal will cause all sorts of problems for their competitors (delays at the border, additional costs due to admin, bureaucracy, etc). In reality the Nissan factory is really an assembly plant for cars destined primarily for the UK market. As for customers, as long as we're happy to buy Nissan, that's great. If we want other brands we'll be paying more.

As we've seen with all the other countless stories of additional trade friction, tariffs, suppliers no longer serving the UK market, etc, etc....the Brexit deal is the exact opposite of free trade. The Brexiteers who styled themselves as champions of free trade were, of course, chomping at the bit to implement a deal which means LESS trade. We're headed back to the 1970s when we were urged to buy British Leyland and myriad other crap products. At the end of the day it's all part of the "Little Englander" mentality which refuses to recognise that those horrible foreigners may actually be able to do things better than us.

Your contributions to this thread have been gratefully received round these parts. We might want to name the phenomenon 'Little England and Welsher' however, because it may well be the case that we'll be stuck together. It's not just that it's anti-free trade ('Globaloney Britain'), but its effects will in all likelihood produce anti-'Great' Britain.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
aside the problems caused by new changes, you need new developers. it cant be that challenging to work out location on selector or their address. seen plenty of sites do so (usually for different carriage rates). and shouldn't you have implemented location identification for EU rules on digital downloads a couple of years ago?

and thinking about it, this isnt aside the problems, its indicative. how poorly communicated was that change? they spent months telling business to adjust, apparently not what to, and didnt think to tell the public. i almost wonder if the politicians even knew what changes were coming, focusing on business to business and ignoring the direct consumer market in and out of UK.

Off the shelf product from a company that now has me by the balls unfortunately

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Out of interest, what is your favourite whine?

Your comments and questions increasingly lack humour and relevance although I note you have acquired a new word. Please use it sparingingly.

I could explain puns to you but I cannot understand them for you.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Your comments and questions increasingly lack humour and relevance although I note you have acquired a new word. Please use it sparingingly.

I could explain puns to you but I cannot understand them for you.

I haven't detected much of a sense of humour in your 2000+ posts under this account name let alone a self-deprecating one. No shame in admitting your spelling is a bit suspect (PM's surname, whine, sparingingly etc) ... we all have faults

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I haven't detected much of a sense of humour in your 2000+ posts under this account name let alone a self-deprecating one. No shame in admitting your spelling is a bit suspect (PM's surname, whine, sparingingly etc) ... we all have faults

Says the poster who has embarrassed himself with so many faults on this thread alone that he's felt the need to set up multiple accounts :facepalm:

Of course, I wouldn't mention the 5000 posts on this thread alone on the couple of accounts you've admitted to :facepalm::facepalm:

Just try and think a little before you post each time.

I'm really genuinely trying to help you back out of this situation you've found yourself in :thumbsup:

Jan 30, 2008
Says the poster who has embarrassed himself with so many faults on this thread alone that he's felt the need to set up multiple accounts :facepalm:

Of course, I wouldn't mention the 5000 posts on this thread alone on the couple of accounts you've admitted to :facepalm::facepalm:

Just try and think a little before you post each time.

I'm really genuinely trying to help you back out of this situation you've found yourself in :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/nHBZFSYA12A
Regards
DF

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
D76BD59C-BEEC-4EB2-BA98-39AD3180F1F8.jpeg

Dont care about wine being expensiver cos i only drink in ‘Spoons and they dont serve that poncy stuff their

Regards

DF

Jan 30, 2008
[tweet]1353075137994575873[/tweet]

A post full of woke , this reminds of the people's vote and the Liberal hand wringers that joined it while the silent majority sat at home with their feet up who went to the Ballot box and sent the liberal elite packing , marvellous scenes
Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here