Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
i'd rather be part of closer union then live in a country ruled by divisive bigotry

[tweet]1352892393989804034[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, saw this the other day, reduced choice and increased prices. It also seems that NI is experiencing increasing supply problems, no one wants to send stuff there because of the extra costs and paperwork.

Virtually every seed company I have looked at in the last week or so now have a " Sorry, we can no longer ship to NI" on their main web page.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And back on topic.

This is quite a useful guide as it details the extra charges you have to be aware of when shopping online from the EU

Online shopping charges have changed since Brexit - everything you need to know

Shoppers around the UK are being caught out by extra charges when ordering from online retailers based in the European Union.Additional charges, including customs duties and VAT on parcels sent to the UK, are part of post-Brexit life.Customs declaration forms are required to be filled out by EU retailers sending packages to the UK. This means that shoppers may also have to pay customs or VAT charges on their purchase.

https://www.scotsman.com/read-this/online-shopping-charges-have-changed-brexit-everything-you-need-know-3109815

Certainly more helpful than the Government website for tax and goods sent from abroad

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad

The Brexit transition period has ended and new rules on tax and customs on goods sent from abroad now apply. This page is currently out of date. :annoyed:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Back on the subject of Nissan, don't forget we had to bung them 80m

[tweet]1352644626465828870[/tweet]

Missed that story, I always suspected something had been bunged

Wonder if there’s been a further bung....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Irrespective of which side you are on in relation to Brexit, the government have managed to balls up the whole transition for businesses. I was on a government webinar re customs recently and most people were raising the same questions throughout but the presenters kept giving vague replies that were worse than useless.

I have had to take down all my digital downloads from my website because of the convoluted taxing of the products based on where the customer lives in the EU. This has also affected sales to the USA as my web designers aren't able to differentiate where the customer lives so I can’t allow USA sales and block EU sales.

The likes of DHL and UPS don’t reply when you ask about vat postponement on imported goods so this will hit cashflow for many businesses. Its ok being on top of the Brexit changes but if people you rely on aren't on top of it then the whole pack of cards collapses.

The government need a rocket up their how’s your father to be honest

I agree completely that the Government need to up their game as far as communicating the details of the Brexit deal and what now needs to be done, but the deal is the deal and the convoluted taxing of products, new VAT rules, rules of origin etc are all within the detail of the deal, agreed and signed. Those aspects aren't going to change.

I can understand the Government struggling with communication given that it was agreed so late in the day, but I'm not sure blaming the Fisherman and Logistics firms for filling forms incorrectly, still claiming there is no border in the Irish sea and trying to blame Covid for empty shelves in NI is the way ahead.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18994060.irish-border-sea-exists-whatever-brandon-lewis-says/
https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/17/brexit-delays-for-fishing-sector-are-teething-problems-raab-says/
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/irish-government-scoffs-at-uk-claim-brexit-not-causing-empty-shelves/ar-BB1cXdCT

I think they have to be honest, explain in detail what was in the Brexit deal they signed and help businesses and individuals come to terms with the new processes and procedures they have to adhere to. I can't see any other way forward :shrug:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It is the direction of travel, however, apart from the destination being some decades away, had the referendum produced a remain result, the EU had agreed to update the treaties and include wording that made it explicit that the UK would never lose it's current (at the time) status in the EU by refusing to sign any further treaties or amendments, and it was in UK law that a referendum would be required, before our Parliament could consent to signing anything that would alter our relationship with the EU (since repealed due to Brexit).

Fair point, as we know both France and the Netherlands held a referendum on the EU constitution and both voted no which stopped that attempt at EU integration dead in its tracks ..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here