Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
There seems to be significant focus and Parliamentary time being spent on pushing through the de-regulation rules now we are out of the EU.

Tory MPs vote down legal bid to 'protect the NHS' in post-Brexit trade deals
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/tory-mps-vote-down-legal-bid-to-protect-the-nhs-in-post-brexit-trade-deals/ar-BB1cTTMb?ocid=mailsignout

Government narrowly sees off Tory revolt over anti-genocide trade deal law
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55723163

Brexit: Government considers scrapping some EU labour laws
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55725720

Now I understand that these are some of the benefits and are high priority, but I wonder whether they would be better to delay these a little and focus on the more pressing matters of Covid and the new rules and regulations.

Trying to keep the Covid death rate down and rolling out the vaccine program have to come first, closely followed by the businesses and industries struggling with the new rules and regulations (with still more rules and regulations due at the end of March, and again in July).

There's plenty of time to push these changes through, but do we need to be doing them right now when there are far higher priorities. Or is it simply parliamentary business as normal :shrug:

Well, it shouldn't be parliamentary business as normal. These are times of acute crisis, caused by this pandemic. The first three months, at least, of this year, should be totally devoted to controlling this virus and the measures needed to try and help us all survive. The business fallout from this is potentially catastrophic. The government running out of money and hundreds of thousands of SME's struggling and likely to going bust. New rules and regulations affect a certain number ( 80% of UK companies do all their business within these shores ) Covid affects everybody.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Well, it shouldn't be parliamentary business as normal. These are times of acute crisis, caused by this pandemic. The first three months, at least, of this year, should be totally devoted to controlling this virus and the measures needed to try and help us all survive. The business fallout from this is potentially catastrophic. The government running out of money and hundreds of thousands of SME's struggling and likely to going bust. New rules and regulations affect a certain number ( 80% of UK companies do all their business within these shores ) Covid affects everybody.

Governments can't run out of money

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The government just get the Bank of England to print more money. Granted, they give most of it to their cronies for dodgy track & test, or PPE which isn’t fit for purpose, but billions have gone this way.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Governments can't run out of money

oh yes they can. they can tax or borrow, if they do too much of either they'll negatively impact the economy. ask Greece or Argentina.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Mods, Bear Pit please?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A great number of small, family-run fishing businesses, are about a week away from going bust.

Still. Congrats to Brexiteers on their magnificent win and correctly calling project fear out for what it was.

I mean, you knew what you were voting for, right? That's what you kept telling me.

Most FTSE 350 companies are well prepared for Brexit, they have the resources to prepare have overseas office, infrastructure, operations managers etc

But for many SME's they are being blown off the face off the earth, their TAM which can be freely accessed has reduced by 85% overnight and all this when some are on their knees already

Its very important to remember we need to see tangible benefits of leaving the world's biggest single market 22 miles from our shores.

Its very very important we remember what was promised by Vote Leave in 2016, they now need to deliver

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 60

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A great number of small, family-run fishing businesses, are about a week away from going bust.

Still. Congrats to Brexiteers on their magnificent win and correctly calling project fear out for what it was.

I mean, you knew what you were voting for, right? That's what you kept telling me.
Project Con: "There will be no downside to Brexit only a considerable upside.”

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mods, Bear Pit please?

Why should it be moved ? 90% of the posts on this thread are discussing various aspects of what has happened in detail. No insults, name calling etc, and only the odd post veering off of actual changes, processes, facts and detail. It's a huge change for an awful lot of businesses, employees and consumers in the UK, so why shouldn't it be discussed :shrug:

(Dependant, of course on it being successfully moderated and continuing along the lines it has up to now).

Project Con: "There will be no downside to Brexit only a considerable upside.”

I'm looking at you :annoyed:

Please stick to simple facts and not opinions and there is no reason why mature debate cannot be had about what are fairly significant changes effecting huge numbers of businesses, employees and consumers across the UK. Thanks :thumbsup:

There's a thread over in the Bear pit that's hardly moderated where people can post their opinions, argue, troll and insult if they feel so inclined.

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why should it be moved ? 90% of the posts on this thread are discussing various aspects of what has happened in detail. No insults, name calling etc, and only the odd post veering off of actual changes, processes, facts and detail. It's a huge change for an awful lot of businesses, employees and consumers in the UK, so why shouldn't it be discussed :shrug:

(Dependant, of course on it being successfully moderated and continuing along the lines it has up to now).

Please stick to simple facts and not opinions and there is no reason why mature debate cannot be had about what are fairly significant changes effecting huge numbers of businesses, employees and consumers across the UK. Thanks [emoji106]

There's a thread over in the Bear pit that's hardly moderated where people can post their opinions, argue, troll and insult if they feel so inclined.

It was a relevant reply to a post and it quoted a FACT that was an on record statement by David Davis.

The mention of "Project Con" was because the quoted post mentioned "Project Fear".

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Please stick to simple facts and not opinions and there is no reason why mature debate cannot be had about what are fairly significant changes effecting huge numbers of businesses, employees and consumers across the UK. Thanks :thumbsup:

Mainly because the thread has or will degenerate into that, I've much preferred it since such topics didn't overlap on football and the normal inane crap we get here on NSC.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Mainly because the thread has or will degenerate into that, I've much preferred it since such topics didn't overlap on football and the normal inane crap we get here on NSC.

Fairy muff :thumbsup:

I don't think it has degenerated and hopefully the mods will stop that happening, but if it does then I agree it should be moved.

(Personally, I don't like the Cycling thread but don't tell Stat :wink:)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Fairy muff :thumbsup:

I don't think it has degenerated and hopefully the mods will stop that happening, but if it does then I agree it should be moved.

(Personally, I don't like the Cycling thread but don't tell Stat :wink:)

Seems largely fact and evidence base thus far. Hopefully after yesterday its the first move to put the post truth world is behind us...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1352174687367913472[/TWEET]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I see that the benefits of the 'Brexit good deal' processes and procedures are now starting to spill out from the Fish, Meat and Fresh Veg sectors into other industries.

Anger builds among manufacturers as EU customers cancel orders due to Brexit red tape

EU customers are cancelling orders from the UK because of a mass of red tape, UK manufacturers have said, as anger builds over a lack of government Brexit support and antiquated customs systems. While problems have been most acute for perishable goods like meat and seafood, manufacturers are now also reporting cancelled orders and some haulage firms are refusing to move goods.

Close to 30 per cent of small British firms have stopped shipping goods to the EU amid widespread confusion about customs forms and extra costs, according to accountants UHY Hacker Young. Compounding the problems is the fact that there is no helpline to resolve issues with the 30-year-old IT system required to log customs documents for imports and exports. Instead, businesses are referred to an HMRC email address which promises a response within five days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/brexit-uk-manufacturers-import-export-orders-b1790270.html

And just as pre-Brexit stockpiles are going down and traffic is predicted to be back to normal levels over the next 2 weeks.

Government warns of chaos at ports as lorry traffic returns to normal

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/government-warns-of-chaos-at-ports-as-lorry-traffic-returns-to-normal/ar-BB1cWmAf?ocid=mailsignout

Still, I'm sure there's a plan :facepalm:

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Seen a lot of people moaning about having to pay a load of duty and taxes on goods they buy from Europe.

I wonder if all this had been spelled out at the time of voting and everything listed in detail the result would have been different?

Jan 30, 2008
I see that the benefits of the 'Brexit good deal' processes and procedures are now starting to spill out from the Fish, Meat and Fresh Veg sectors into other industries.

Anger builds among manufacturers as EU customers cancel orders due to Brexit red tape

EU customers are cancelling orders from the UK because of a mass of red tape, UK manufacturers have said, as anger builds over a lack of government Brexit support and antiquated customs systems. While problems have been most acute for perishable goods like meat and seafood, manufacturers are now also reporting cancelled orders and some haulage firms are refusing to move goods.

Close to 30 per cent of small British firms have stopped shipping goods to the EU amid widespread confusion about customs forms and extra costs, according to accountants UHY Hacker Young. Compounding the problems is the fact that there is no helpline to resolve issues with the 30-year-old IT system required to log customs documents for imports and exports. Instead, businesses are referred to an HMRC email address which promises a response within five days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/brexit-uk-manufacturers-import-export-orders-b1790270.html

And just as pre-Brexit stockpiles are going down and traffic is predicted to be back to normal levels over the next 2 weeks.

Government warns of chaos at ports as lorry traffic returns to normal

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/government-warns-of-chaos-at-ports-as-lorry-traffic-returns-to-normal/ar-BB1cWmAf?ocid=mailsignout

Still, I'm sure there's a plan :facepalm:
https://youtu.be/TjPhzgxe3L0
Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here