Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I notice most of the usernames below I have on ignore have been quite active since the end of transition. I wonder what it is I'm actually missing out on? Could it be sensible, substantive discussion accentuating the positives of Brexit with credible explanations on how problems and nuances can be practically and proactively overcome? Or is it just inane sneering, innocuous insults (accusing someone of being a paedophile not withstanding) straw clutching, whataboutery, excitable interminable regurgitation of 3 word soundbites with no substance coupled with links to The Daily Express, The Daily Telegraph, Guido Fawkes and Youtube?

On balance and looking at those usernames again, I suspect it's probably the latter. Never mind.

View attachment 132615

And it seems you too are here to sneer [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The referendum was over years ago and we need to move forward and address the issues we are now facing with the deal that has been negotiated and published. I can't imagine why people would still be harking back.

So, ignoring the desperate attempts to drag the thread off topic and into the bear pit.

The government seem to think the problems are down to lack of preparation

UK firms urged to increase preparations for post-Brexit trading conditions

Business minister Paul Scully has told British companies that trade with the EU to get an EORI number and to complete customs declarations, while telling lorry companies that cross the channel to make sure their drivers have Kent access permits.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/uk-firms-urged-to-increase-preparations-for-post-brexit-trading-conditions/ar-BB1cQ1Qj

This businessman seems to be suffering problems, so where do you think he didn't prepare properly ?

[Tweet]1350367078662987777[/Tweet]

Six months ago my business started to prepare for Brexit. We obtained the following licences and accreditations JUST to maintain the status quo. EORI number, RORO badge for Chief, GBRC number, GBWK number, we already had ARWS and DAN accounts.

All of this took nearly five months a lot of form filling but on the 9th December this was all in place. So I would say whilst we knew Brexit would be a car crash we did not know it was going to be a multiple pile up in the fog with fatalities.

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I notice most of the usernames below I have on ignore have been quite active since the end of transition. I wonder what it is I'm actually missing out on? Could it be sensible, substantive discussion accentuating the positives of Brexit with credible explanations on how problems and nuances can be practically and proactively overcome? Or is it just inane sneering, innocuous insults (accusing someone of being a paedophile not withstanding) straw clutching, whataboutery, excitable interminable regurgitation of 3 word soundbites with no substance coupled with links to The Daily Express, The Daily Telegraph, Guido Fawkes and Youtube?

On balance and looking at those usernames again, I suspect it's probably the latter. Never mind.

View attachment 132615

We're still pending a single tangible benefit of Brexit from the usual suspects

Mostly they are getting upset when they are reminded the cupboard is empty, it might be better if some those people don't come on here. Its not nice when you know you've be used and spat out...

Some think the fact Dover isn't gridlocked in the face of no checks on imports and crashing export volumes is some sort of victory and is fine and dandy...

On we go..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ireland abolished its tampon tax on 1st January 2020, and is still an EU country.

This can't be right TB, Ireland never had tax on sanitary products, and EU rules allowed them to maintain that status after joining. At the time we joined, the UK also had zero tax and was able to have kept it that way, until we introduced VAT on them. After that, the rules as they stand only allow an EU member to place a reduced rate on products, however, I believe that the EU would not punish a state for breaking the rules, in a very limited and specific way in this regard. It would certainly be possible for the State to pay the VAT without collecting it, if it really was concerned for its population.

The ability to zero rate sanitary products will not be EU law till 2022, until then the minimum rate of 5% is as low as it can go.

So removing tax on Tampons is real and tangible Brexit benefit, equating to a saving of about 10p on a box of 18 Tampons, for maybe 18 months, till the EU changes mean we could have done it anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

View attachment 132615

I'm pretty sure all of the above's " Contributions" can be distilled down to " You Lost, Get Over It " .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The referendum was over years ago and we need to move forward and address the issues we are now facing with the deal that has been negotiated and published. I can't imagine why people would still be harking back.

So, ignoring the desperate attempts to drag the thread off topic and into the bear pit.

The government seem to think the problems are down to lack of preparation

UK firms urged to increase preparations for post-Brexit trading conditions

Business minister Paul Scully has told British companies that trade with the EU to get an EORI number and to complete customs declarations, while telling lorry companies that cross the channel to make sure their drivers have Kent access permits.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/uk-firms-urged-to-increase-preparations-for-post-brexit-trading-conditions/ar-BB1cQ1Qj

This businessman seems to be suffering problems, so where do you think he didn't prepare properly ?

[Tweet]1350367078662987777[/Tweet]

Six months ago my business started to prepare for Brexit. We obtained the following licences and accreditations JUST to maintain the status quo. EORI number, RORO badge for Chief, GBRC number, GBWK number, we already had ARWS and DAN accounts.

All of this took nearly five months a lot of form filling but on the 9th December this was all in place. So I would say whilst we knew Brexit would be a car crash we did not know it was going to be a multiple pile up in the fog with fatalities.
We can fix the problems by an emergency pivot to EFTA membership and EEA membership via the EFTA pillar.

Vote Me ! Lol.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

View attachment 132615

You missed the bit where Chicken Run came out as a Unionist and then realised he had voted for a border in the Irish Sea :lolol:

But other than that you haven't missed anything

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

View attachment 132615

:wave:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
We're still pending a single tangible benefit of Brexit from the usual suspects

Mostly they are getting upset when they are reminded the cupboard is empty, it might be better if some those people don't come on here. Its not nice when you know you've be used and spat out...

Some think the fact Dover isn't gridlocked in the face of no checks on imports and crashing export volumes is some sort of victory and is fine and dandy...

On we go..

Yes, in the run up to the end of the transition period, I was prepared to give the benefit of the doubt as the train was rolling into the Brexit platform, we were approaching the end of the rainbow and the pot of gold awaited, and yet stoney silence, after all I would have thought they would grab any chance to throw it all back in everyone's face and vindicated by the country's decision in the win. So I am rather confused at this tumbleweed moment

200.gif

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You missed the bit where Chicken Run came out as a Unionist and then realised he had voted for a border in the Irish Sea :lolol:

But other than that you haven't missed anything

The other thing we are seeing from Brexiters is the denial that things will actually change.

Stuff like the surprise at UK truck drivers having their ham sandwiches confiscated by EU customs and a continued expectation of retirements in sunny climes with full healthcare backed with a travel insurance policy via Moneysupermarket.com

Calais is like Calgary now, they need to get used to it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
*sigh* As I explained to you last time Ireland had zero rate before the EU brought in the vat restrictions. All other EU countries are still prevented from lowering the rate.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Our government had a vote in 2015 and voted to keep it but donate the revenue to women's charities.

Sanitary ware has been free in Scotland for a while. Free not just free of tax.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
[tweet]1351121480860520450[/tweet]

This going to get very political in Scotland, really toxic for Johnson.

He has signed the FTA when he knew things weren't tried and tested for exports. What's more he could have got away with an extension with the public, we're in the middle of global pandemic

Epic incompetence...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

He has signed the FTA when he knew things weren't tried and tested for exports. What's more he could have got away with an extension with the public, we're in the middle of global pandemic

Epic incompetence...

In response to the toxic political comment I bet all those Tory MPs in Scotland are heading for the underground bunker, I hope it’s big enough to hold all six of them.....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In response to the toxic political comment I bet all those Tory MPs in Scotland are heading for the underground bunker, I hope it’s big enough to hold all six of them.....

Think forget these six MP's, Johnson and his cronies fully understand the situation they need to sort it.

A state subsidy to help Brexit victims is real the only option or some Brexiters could order some fish and do their bit to mitigate their damage.

Deadline for weekend delivery is tomorrow 9pm

https://loch-fyne-seafarms.myshopify.com/collections/all

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Epic incompetence...

Lovely to see the Scottish fishing industry finally aligning with EU protesting standards !:thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Epic incompetence...

At least when you throw a stick for a dog, there's a 50% chance of it getting hold of the right end :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here