Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
We don't have FULL control around entry.

Most people don't have full control around their property, and people are able to wander off the street onto the driveway at any point at will. However there are rules which prohibit them staying there without your permission and you can remove them from your property. Would you also claim that this means you have no control over people coming onto your property?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So we had no right to prevent someone entering ( unless very specific circumstances prevailed ). Thank you for backing up my point.

You are clearly not buying the immigration narrative from a tiny few- shame on you!

`The UK could control entry of EU immigrants coming to live and work in the UK, all we needed to do was Remain members and continue not having the tools to end free movement. We could add further non controls of entry at our borders by checking up on jobseekers months after they have already entered and crossed the border anyway. They can actually continue to be jobseekers after three months in many circumstances, but in each individual case if we can prove they are not actually actively looking for work and have no realistic prospect of ever gaining employment there might be grounds for not being able to stay. We could do this, but didnt bother, which is a real shame as this would constitute controlling EU immigration even though it doesn’t constitute it at all and no one will really buy it if we pretended it did`

Enforcing this measure on the enormous significant numbers of EU citizens who are jobseekers and the sort who have no prospect of ever being employed and are not actually looking for work anyway (not enormous significant numbers at all) would have meant Remain would have actually won the immigration debate (LOL) and there would have been no reason for not wanting to be members (snigger) because immigration was the only issue that Leavers had (double snigger) so if the UK had only checked up on jobseekers months after already crossing the border Leave would never have won the referendum (snigger LOL chortle).

Three million arrivals from Hong Kong soon.

Immagine-asd.jpg

ALL 3 million will not choose to come here. Therefore ALL 3 million will not arrive here. Use your brain.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Look on the BBC website

Jesus OK, I'll humour you. I did already say I had spent some time searching for it, but, I'll go to the BBC website and look.

Some time later

Nope, can't see anything. Only thing I can see about charity and Banks is his dodgy one. Any more clues chief?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Enforcing this measure on the enormous significant numbers of EU citizens who are jobseekers and the sort who have no prospect of ever being employed and are not actually looking for work anyway (not enormous significant numbers at all) would have meant Remain would have actually won the immigration debate (LOL) and there would have been no reason for not wanting to be members (snigger) because immigration was the only issue that Leavers had (double snigger) so if the UK had only checked up on jobseekers months after already crossing the border Leave would never have won the referendum (snigger LOL chortle).

I sometimes wonder if you are involved in some sort of private war against punctuation.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
ALL 3 million will not choose to come here. Therefore ALL 3 million will not arrive here. Use your brain.

You seem to have been whooshed. TB's comment was surely a parody of those wild pre-referendum predictions from slate-eyed leavers regarding 72 million Turks and cities the size of Newcastle being added to Britain's population every fortnight.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The USA have already indicated their trade deal says don’t deal with China (or words to that effect).

Sounds like another marvellous victory for UK sovereignty does that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Well in that case everyone is overegging predictions of immigration levels - the likelihood of three million Hong Kong Chinese coming to the UK is about the same as the equivalent of a new Birmingham arriving every other week. The latter was just part of the Leave campaign's Project Fear.

Having said that, Johnson's offer to the Hong Kong Chinese is morally justified in my view. Practical diplomacy in a post-Brexit world? Another question.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
OK so we start beating our chest over HK and a WTO Brexit comes...who will come worse UK or China?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You seem to have been whooshed. TB's comment was surely a parody of those wild pre-referendum predictions from slate-eyed leavers regarding 72 million Turks and cities the size of Newcastle being added to Britain's population every fortnight.

Its TB, of course I wasnt whooshed. She believes it.- Not sure what it has to do with Brexit though

I remember talk of the possibility of Turkey joining the EU, it was after all government policy and EU policy to back Turkey joining with Cameron declaring he was the strongest supporter of Turkey becoming a EU member.
Turkey and the EU opened another chapter for accession a few months prior to the referendum, EU heads of state agreed to accelerate opening further chapters for Turkish accession just weeks before the official referendum campaign period started and another further chapter on Turkish accession talks was opened only a few days after the Brexit vote.
Talks may have stalled now but it is still an official candidate country to join the EU and until it cancels its application or the EU throws its application officially out the window no one can say Turkey will never join and the mind boggles at the prospect of an EU external border with Iran, Iraq and Syria.
I don’t remember anything specific about 72 million Turks, but I guess if they get round to joining that it is roughly the number (give or take a few million) that will eventually have EU freedom of movement rights, the population of Turkey is greater than the population of all the 10 states combined who joined in 2004 at time of joining just for some context.And I don’t recall anyone saying cities the size of Newcastle were being added to Britains population every two weeks.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Three million arrivals from Hong Kong soon.

:lolol:

The offer is indeed there, everyone knows about the offer and 3 million are eligible to apply ….but all three million will not choose to come here. 3 million will not arrive here soon. Boris cant force them to leave their home and come to the UK.

Give your head a wobble

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

The offer is indeed there, everyone knows about the offer and 3 million are eligible to apply ….but all three million will not choose to come here. 3 million will not arrive here soon. Boris cant force them to leave their home and come to the UK.

Give your head a wobble

Almost as ridiculous as your umpteenth post about 72 Million Turks coming just above.

I assume your head is already wobbling :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No surprise you are deliberately misrepresenting what i wrote........again.

30 seconds worth of misrepresenting what YOU wrote

No nonsense above at all

people agree Turkey joining is a bad idea
no one says Turkey will NEVER join
Turkey will eventually join.

calls that brexiters are racist xenophobic and Islamophobic are simply accusations being thrown out of desperation

It’s just another daft article from a remain supporting journalist,but it is quite telling.

If you can get past the usual outdated accusations of xenophobia and racism and ignore the uneducated claim that Brexiters want to "pull up the drawbridge" (just one more plank to add to the list of people who simply cant understand the concept of controlled borders),then all you are left with is an article that agrees Turkey joining would be a bad idea.

The telling part is its one more person to add to the list of people who wont say Turkey will NEVER join, his own conclusions are that its decades away.

Whilst the young people im told are thinking only of the present and their own self interest,like cheap education in a hot EU resort,where you can get pissed and shag all day long perhaps someone could give them a shake and tell them to contemplate the future,yes even decades away,a vote now has far reaching consequences many years down the line. Its about time they realised that.

In conclusion Turkey Bad but WILL eventually join, accusations of racist ,xenophobic and Islamophobia ……..Big Yawn.
if anyone is interested Andrew Neil tore Osborne several new ones over free movement,Turkey and the false £4300 figure
bbc1 wed 7.30pm

Do you notice how none of The EU leaders say Turkey will NEVER join the EU?
Its always various degrees of timeline because they have so many hurdles to cross and so far ahead we shouldnt concern ourselves with it now.

People need to think very long term about the legacy of their vote and the impact of staying in for future generations.
Eventually Turkey WILL join the EU.
Turkey is on a path to joining. It wont be soon. Its years away, Cameron said it will be decades,i`ll go along with that. But it will still be joining.
Many of us will be long gone before it joins but the attitude of its not any time soon don’t worry about it is absurd.

The remain camp thinks only of the now and the present ,concerned only whats going to be in their pockets next year.
They need to put away this selfish attitude and think long term,even beyond decades. This is the legacy this vote leaves to future generations,vote to stay in and you give the EU the green light to carry on the project.
I don’t want to leave the problem of turkey joining to even my great grandchildren,I know you remainiens don’t either as you havnt once said Turkey joining is a good idea.
Vote LEAVE and stop thinking of just yourself.

First 5 quotes from 3 pages worth. Same old, same old :lolol:

Really can't be arsed anymore :bigwave:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
30 seconds worth of misrepresenting what YOU wrote

First 5 quotes from 3 pages worth. Same old, same old :lolol:

Really can't be arsed anymore :bigwave:

I note yet again you managed to edit your original post quickly - it's almost as though you write something and then realise how wrong you were. So, your claim - now deleted - that Pasta suggested 72m Turks would come here - which quote supports this ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I note yet again you managed to edit your original post quickly - it's almost as though you write something and then realise how wrong you were. So, your claim - now deleted - that Pasta suggested 72m Turks would come here - which quote supports this ?

I think you may be going blind. maybe you should look at the post I made, and I guess you're referring to.

Give your head a wobble
Almost as ridiculous as your umpteenth post about 72 Million Turks coming just above.

I assume your head is already wobbling :lolol:

I know you struggle with things in black and white so here it is to help you

But it's not about immigration, is it :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here