Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So will COVID-19

a) give Johnson a pretext for a walk-away/no deal?

b) have no discernible impact on the negotiations?

c) prompt a sensible (short?) extension to the process?

Given that I think June is the peak of the pandemic and the time when we need to put in our definitive position, it could be argued that we simply won't have the resources to cope with both? (I'm assuming that negotiators are not immune.)

Well here is a post from just over a week ago when there were only 105 cases

You don't think Johnson could be planning to use Coronavirus as the unforeseen reason to extend our 'membership that's not membership' - You know, the thing where we carry on paying the EU, being subject to their rules and regulations and getting all benefits and trade deals of being in the EU, but definitely not membership ???
:wink:

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You keep clear of the spite and invective? I'm sorry, but that is not right. You called me a lying bullshitter (or possibly a bullshitting liar) recently. You were wrong, having misread a post. When this was made clear, you simply disappeared for a while.

You are wrong, it is right. Never mind. No problem - like I said, I don't bother coming on here to debate, just for laughs. Carry on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Why would anyone come on a thread that showcases the deep fractures in our society/country simply for a laugh? I really don't get that......

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
So will COVID-19

a) give Johnson a pretext for a walk-away/no deal?

b) have no discernible impact on the negotiations?

c) prompt a sensible (short?) extension to the process?

Given that I think June is the peak of the pandemic and the time when we need to put in our definitive position, it could be argued that we simply won't have the resources to cope with both? (I'm assuming that negotiators are not immune.)

d) enable the banks and govt. to withdraw all cash from circulation as a means of transition control.......like 9/11 another man made cluster**** to enable massive and unprecedented control and encroachment over and into our everyday live ......****in chinese pricks.....designer virus.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I only come on here occasionally for amusement at all the hand-wringing. That way, as well as being amused, I keep clear of the spite and invective. Simple really.

You keep clear of the spite and invective? I'm sorry, but that is not right. You called me a lying bullshitter (or possibly a bullshitting liar) recently. You were wrong, having misread a post. When this was made clear, you simply disappeared for a while.

You are wrong, it is right. Never mind. No problem - like I said, I don't bother coming on here to debate, just for laughs. Carry on.

Why would anyone come on a thread that showcases the deep fractures in our society/country simply for a laugh? I really don't get that......

Ignore him. From viewing other posts in other threads he is a bitter, and rather jealous, person. Brexit is all he has.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
2. It will theoretically be possible to stop live animal exports.

That's always been the main benefit in my book, although it might not happen and you have to balance it against the greater likelihood of us importing the meat of abused animals.

(You won't get much of a response from Brexit enthusiasts by the way. It seems that their common tactic is, when pulled up on some palpable falsehood, is to disappear for a while, presumably in the hope that everyone has forgotten about it when they return. GT49er and Westdean Seagull offer recent examples.)

Re your last paragraph also see [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] on VAT and [MENTION=15360]nicko31[/MENTION] on many things.

Another benefit is that we could ban hard cheese from Italy because of the cruelty to the cows there.

Edit - and a true Brightonian would know their 'dean' from their 'dene' :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Re your last paragraph also see [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] on VAT and [MENTION=15360]nicko31[/MENTION] on many things.

Another benefit is that we could ban hard cheese from Italy because of the cruelty to the cows there.

I'm afraid the hard cheese is another 'could'. As soon as the government ban it, I will add it to the £1.85 saving for menstruating women.

It's just that at the moment, the £1.85 is offset somewhat by the 10,000 nurses we have lost since the Brexit vote. But that obviously wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for Coronavirus.

NHS missing 10,000 nurses since Brexit as Europeans avoid moving to the UK

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/nhs-missing-10000-nurses-brexit-21694725

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He who laughs last.
The Torygraph is saying Brexit must be delayed.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...Plt1jmB_Xyo16bNiMo5iKFh_oLEuKoNYIbUns9hEnlURo

I just heard a professor of economics describing the likely economic fall out of Covid-19 as likely to be worse than the banking crisis of 2008.

We are leaving the EU, that is beyond doubt. But it’s like asking a Coronavirus patient in ICU to run a marathon through snow to demand we leave by the December deadline. Only the dullest most ignorant Brexiteers would insist that the deadline is adhered too but I’d be astonished if the government was honest about this in the near future. It could be delayed by years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just heard a professor of economics describing the likely economic fall out of Covid-19 as likely to be worse than the banking crisis of 2008.

We are leaving the EU, that is beyond doubt. But it’s like asking a Coronavirus patient in ICU to run a marathon through snow to demand we leave by the December deadline. Only the dullest most ignorant Brexiteers would insist that the deadline is adhered too but I’d be astonished if the government was honest about this in the near future. It could be delayed by years.

Unfortunately, the European Medicines Agency has now left London, but the Netherlands are making a breakthrough with isolating antibodies.
Shooting ourselves in the foot!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Can I just confirm... You are denying that you called me a bullshitting liar or that you misinterpreted a post?

(Cue another GT49er disappearing act.)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Blatant deflection in your first para but you've got me bang to rights in your last one.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Think its fair to say the corona virus is a product of what happens when there is an absence of proper regulation.

Free wheeling, low regulation Brexity libertarians should take note.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Can I just confirm... You are denying that you called me a bullshitting liar or that you misinterpreted a post?

(Cue another GT49er disappearing act.)

No you can't, because I doubt you would accept any answer anyway - your mind is made up, end of. Personal abuse and personal name calling is not what I do. Anyway, I have more important things to concern me now (so do you, for that matter) than worrying about whatever you think. I'm not sure whether you now qualify as stalking me, but you're certainly boring me. Disappearing? No - just not taking a blind bit of notice of you. Toodle-pip.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018

It's embarrassment. Brexiteers want to gloss over their ****-up with 'humour'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here