Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hmmm ..... I do the return journey of Newhaven - Dieppe four to six times a year. Get to Dieppe and it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to get through their checks with two lanes open. Coming back and it takes over an hour - and that includes the stupid questions like "You don't share the same surname as the young lady in the back seat - why ?" Errr .... now look at the name of the female in the passenger seat ! :facepalm: #stupid - and really, I've had that question numerous times. It's far quicker to get through airport customs - in fact a few minutes.

How do customs prevent trafficking? By asking such questions.
It may be irritating, but necessary.

A couple of years ago, the French rep of my husband’s old employment asked if his son could have work experience for two weeks over here. He was 17 so customs held him to one side when we met him at Newhaven to check we were bona fide people for him to stay with.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How do customs prevent trafficking? By asking such questions.
It may be irritating, but necessary.

A couple of years ago, the French rep of my husband’s old employment asked if his son could have work experience for two weeks over here. He was 17 so customs held him to one side when we met him at Newhaven to check we were bona fide people for him to stay with.

Yes, I get that but my step-daughter's mother ( who shares the same surname ) was in the car as well. It wasn't as if it was four people with the surname of Westdene in the car and one of Patcham. And strangely the French didn't worry about it on the way out or the way back ( in fact Newhaven didn't worry about it on the way out ! ). My point was more about them being far less efficient than the French yet with the same number of officers. As Vegster points out, Dover is far quicker - I can only assume that means the Border Force deploy the least capable officers to Newhaven.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, I get that but my step-daughter's mother ( who shares the same surname ) was in the car as well. It wasn't as if it was four people with the surname of Westdene in the car and one of Patcham. And strangely the French didn't worry about it on the way out or the way back ( in fact Newhaven didn't worry about it on the way out ! ). My point was more about them being far less efficient than the French yet with the same number of officers. As Vegster points out, Dover is far quicker - I can only assume that means the Border Force deploy the least capable officers to Newhaven.

As Newhaven is a quieter port than Dover, isn't it more likely that traffickers and smugglers would target it? There are many cases in Brighton courts of smugglers being prosecuted, but not all are mentioned in the Argus.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
According to the BBC's Europe correspondent (Adam Chirpybloke), Michel Barnier gave a speech in Brussels yesterday which indicated a slightly softened line towards Johnson's approach. I'm pretty sure that during that course of this long negotiation perod there are going to be ploys, manaourvres, sabre-rattling, and faux love-ins at various points. It's anybody's guess what will emerge at the end of it. (And I use the word 'guess' deliberately.)
One key issue is to waht extent both sides are bound by the Political Agreement.
For some reason, Basil Fawlty's condemnation of the Germans comes to mind, with the EU side at one point stroming out of a room and shouting "well YOU started it!".................................

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Michael Gove outlines the UK Government’s negotiating approach.

Here we go again, let us have our cake and eat as we promised in 2016 or we'll shoot ourselves in the foot

With this coke head leading the charge so glad I've dumped pretty much all my UK investments a while back, why take the risk...

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Johnson has until June to ask for an extension to the transition period. He won’t.
There is no way his government can agree a deal in 10 months. Spain wants Gibraltar for a start.

Just for reference, Canada and the EU took 7 years to get their deal finalised. The USA are prioritising the deal with the EU before a deal with us.

The ‘Australia deal’ is just another name for No Deal.

UK prepared to walk away in June (as I said). After that time there will be no extension after December 2020.

https://news.sky.com/story/eu-trade...-away-in-june-if-not-enough-progress-11944337

Yoda

English & European

Michael Gove outlines the UK Government’s negotiating approach.

Is he really trying to compare the size of our economy with the US's? :laugh: And then trying to us that as an argument as to why the EU should give us what we want with? :facepalm:

The EU's was only just smaller when we were part of it. I expect the US has at least a couple of states where the economy is bigger than ours.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is he really trying to compare the size of our economy with the US's?

the claim is the volume of trade is the same size. apparently this is correct, however unintuitive it may sound.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Here we go again, let us have our cake and eat as we promised in 2016 or we'll shoot ourselves in the foot

With this coke head leading the charge so glad I've dumped pretty much all my UK investments a while back, why take the risk...

By the sound of the recent job losses announced by several of the banks and insurance companies it looks like they are dumping the UK too. None of this mentioned, pre-referendum but lots of it realised in the last three years when we actually looked under the bonnet. Could be a global slowdown thanks to Covid-19, just as we dump our trade partners and the start banging a ****ing drum about " walking away " without a deal.... utterly insane.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Teresa Villiars was on the Emma Barnet show this morning and repeated the line about the first rule of negotiating being to say you are prepared to walk away.

Twenty years ago I advertised a rather unusual car for sale and a man from near Lincoln (coincidentally) came down to Sussex to look at it. He came by public transport and the first thing he did was show me his return ticket, indicating to me that he was ready to walk without doing a deal. A sensible gambit because I didn't know his position.

The EU however, knows exactly what our position is. Villiars, like many holding her populist viewpoint, grotesquely over-simplifies things. She thinks it's like flogging a used Renault.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This wriggling out of the NI protocol seems extremely dangerous and makes us look like a bunch of untrustworthy chancers.

Which we are, these days.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This wriggling out of the NI protocol seems extremely dangerous and makes us look like a bunch of untrustworthy chancers.

Which we are, these days.

Hang on, I thought what we had was fantastic and oven ready?

Seriously if we do that we'll be an International puriah, who will trust us.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
By the sound of the recent job losses announced by several of the banks and insurance companies it looks like they are dumping the UK too. None of this mentioned, pre-referendum but lots of it realised in the last three years when we actually looked under the bonnet. Could be a global slowdown thanks to Covid-19, just as we dump our trade partners and the start banging a ****ing drum about " walking away " without a deal.... utterly insane.

Financial institutions have a regular habit of dumping fairly large numbers and then gradually ' filling up ' again. Its a ' spring cleaning ' tactic. The economy has been pretty flat for a while now, depressed but not recessed. The public are not spending freely and retailers are feeling the pinch. Expect an upturn post Easter.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Hang on, I thought what we had was fantastic and oven ready?

Seriously if we do that we'll be an International puriah, who will trust us.

' Pariah '......means....social outcast. Term originated in India, indicating a member of a low caste. Not quite sure you are using it in the right context but I get the gist.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Financial institutions have a regular habit of dumping fairly large numbers and then gradually ' filling up ' again. Its a ' spring cleaning ' tactic. The economy has been pretty flat for a while now, depressed but not recessed. The public are not spending freely and retailers are feeling the pinch. Expect an upturn post Easter.

I can't answer that one, someone call the doctor...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
How are our new trade deals coming along?

Fine.
Western Samoa is done and dusted. New deal on bananas from Jamaica and talks on Icelandic spring water nearing conclusion. Rumours are that we will be importing first grade ice hockey pucks direct from Canada and Australia is ready to dump a million tonnes of butter on us. Only thing that bothers me is....will I still be able to do the ' Euromillions ' lottery?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here