[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Likes like we're back in Unicorn territory again...

Well David Davis is banging on again about how the Germans will secure us a great deal because of the car industry so it seems like every unicorn is now back on the agenda.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Does anyone have any update how all the new customs border infrastructure works at Dover is progressing?
I'm hoping that Customs Officer numbers are going to be ramped up at Newhaven, I'd apply at the drop of a hat, good earnings!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1232679362912247811[/TWEET]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We won't crash out with 'no deal' ( and I don't need Watford zero's dodgy Meg to predict that ), so why should I predict the 'vision' based on something that won't happen ?

I am so pleased to see that you are finally on board with what I have spent the last few years explaining to you.

It seems like only yesterday that I first explained to you why 'no deal' wouldn't happen without significant investment, and yet would you believe that this was two years ago ?

I'm not sure they can prevent a no deal. If, and I'll accept it is a massive if, the government walk away from the discussions then it will be no deal - how can the EU stop us doing that ?

If we walk away it will not be a 'no deal'.

In order to get a 'no deal' we will have to implement WTO rules and Tariffs. This would take billions of pounds and extremely long timescales in order to put in place the infrastructure for a 'no deal'.

If nothing is in place to do this (No borders in Ireland, no customs posts, no systems for managing WTO rules and tariffs, lorry parks, staffing, IT systems) then we would really be in 'Project Fear' territory. Realistically, with no method of importing or exporting goods in place, what do you think will happen at every port, airport, NI border, within hours of midnight ?

The EU will get no benefit from seeing us go into some sort of economic meltdown, so there will be an extension on far worse terms. And with 9 months to go, that is the only thing that can possibly happen, unless you know different. There is only so far you can kick cans down the road until they all end up in a big heap :shrug:

And, I have to say, I would expect this from others on here, but i'm surprised that you suggested it. Maybe you've just had a long day :wink:

And me having to reiterate every few months why it wouldn't happen

So which part of your 'no deal' Brexit by 29th March 2019 did you think was ridiculous ?

The NI/Ireland Border
The New customs posts
The new Lorry Parks at all ports
The negotiation of our new schedules and quotas with the WTO
The design, building and testing of the new IT systems to run the WTO tariffs and rules
The recruitment and training of the new staff to run the new systems/rules etc

And do you remember how we laughed about this

So let me get this right. The following people have said no deal is an absolute possibility ( and the list isn't exhustive ) :

Junker
May
Tusk
Barnier
Corbyn
Cable
Bank of England Governor
Bank of England Deputy Governor
The Irish PM
The Deputy Irish PM
The Irish Finance Minister
Hammond
Starmer
Fox
James Dyson
Numerous political commentators across the whole spectrum of the press
Macron
Merkel
The Dutch PM
The CEO of Aviva
Gove
The ERG
The First Minister of Scotland
The CBI
The IOD
A multitude of UK MPs
The head of the SMMT
The head of HMRC
Barclay
Johnson
Davies

Yet you, some retired small business person in Wales with some fake crystal ball knows better than all these people ( and others ) and dismisses it with "Politicians don't always tell the truth" ? Remarkable, utterly remarkable. :facepalm:

Do tell - what gives you this great in sight and knowledge that all this people closer to the process don't have ?

But I'm so glad to see you're finally on board :thumbsup:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I'm hoping that Customs Officer numbers are going to be ramped up at Newhaven, I'd apply at the drop of a hat, good earnings!

Is it a high-skill job?
Will it pay above £30,000?
Or is it a 'low-skill' 'student-type' job?

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am so pleased to see that you are finally on board with what I have spent the last few years explaining to you.

It seems like only yesterday that I first explained to you why 'no deal' wouldn't happen without significant investment, and yet would you believe that this was two years ago ?

And me having to reiterate every few months why it wouldn't happen

And do you remember how we laughed about this

But I'm so glad to see you're finally on board :thumbsup:

Good grief ..... you're an expert in taking something out of context aren't you ?

That discussion you quote indeed took place but what you conveniently forget to mention ( I'm sure you wouldn't have done it on purpose - it must just be old age taking a hold ) is that we were talking about a no deal if the Withdrawal Agreement wasn't agreed. It might have passed you by but the WA was actually agreed. There was an absolute possibility that a no deal would have happened but it didn't. Many of those close to the process - we'll call them experts just for you - were all in agreement that no deal was a possibility. Feel free to detail your involvement in the process tat gave you such (flawed) insight ?

Now we're in a different area. Of course a no deal is possible BUT in my opinion we will finally get a trading deal. Of course, with all your wealth and inside information you could make an easy £200 for REMF ..... but I and Meg predict you won't.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

I hope so too but I hope they are more efficient than the current ones.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Good grief ..... you're an expert in taking something out of context aren't you ?

That discussion you quote indeed took place but what you conveniently forget to mention ( I'm sure you wouldn't have done it on purpose - it must just be old age taking a hold ) is that we were talking about a no deal if the Withdrawal Agreement wasn't agreed. It might have passed you by but the WA was actually agreed. There was an absolute possibility that a no deal would have happened but it didn't. Many of those close to the process - we'll call them experts just for you - were all in agreement that no deal was a possibility. Feel free to detail your involvement in the process tat gave you such (flawed) insight ?

Now we're in a different area. Of course a no deal is possible BUT in my opinion we will finally get a trading deal. Of course, with all your wealth and inside information you could make an easy £200 for REMF ..... but I and Meg predict you won't.

So you want me to bet that we will get 'no deal', something I have consistently said won't happen without massive infrastructure investment over a long period of time, because you have now reversed your position and agree that it won't happen.

And now you wonder why I won't reverse my position to bet against you :facepalm:

I'm off to dinner and a very large Malbec. Maybe you can try and persuade me again when I'm pissed :lolol:

:wave:

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So you want me to bet that we will get 'no deal', something I have consistently said won't happen without massive infrastructure investment over a long period of time, because you have now reversed your position and agree that it won't happen.

where do you think we'll land then, who'll concede what to arrive at a working deal?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is it a high-skill job?
Will it pay above £30,000?
Or is it a 'low-skill' 'student-type' job?

No Idea, but I'm quite sure the pay and conditions will be considerably better than my current job, plus there is far more job security. I'd take standing in the rain directing people in to a warehouse to have their cars searched.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I hope so too but I hope they are more efficient than the current ones.

They are pretty efficient, they will be even more efficient when we return to the old Custom's limits of 400 fags and 2 l of spirts etc.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
They are pretty efficient, they will be even more efficient when we return to the old Custom's limits of 400 fags and 2 l of spirts etc.

Hmmm ..... I do the return journey of Newhaven - Dieppe four to six times a year. Get to Dieppe and it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to get through their checks with two lanes open. Coming back and it takes over an hour - and that includes the stupid questions like "You don't share the same surname as the young lady in the back seat - why ?" Errr .... now look at the name of the female in the passenger seat ! :facepalm: #stupid - and really, I've had that question numerous times. It's far quicker to get through airport customs - in fact a few minutes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Hmmm ..... I do the return journey of Newhaven - Dieppe four to six times a year. Get to Dieppe and it takes about 20 - 30 minutes to get through their checks with two lanes open. Coming back and it takes over an hour - and that includes the stupid questions like "You don't share the same surname as the young lady in the back seat - why ?" Errr .... now look at the name of the female in the passenger seat ! :facepalm: #stupid - and really, I've had that question numerous times. It's far quicker to get through airport customs - in fact a few minutes.
Not enough staff and not enough landings, they work a damned sight faster at Dover I can promise you.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
No Idea, but I'm quite sure the pay and conditions will be considerably better than my current job, plus there is far more job security. I'd take standing in the rain directing people in to a warehouse to have their cars searched.

Thanks for reply......

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
where do you think we'll land then, who'll concede what to arrive at a working deal?

It'll certainly be interesting to see, but given Johnson U-turned on The Border in the Irish sea, U-turned on 31st October and actually U-turned on Brexit (for those that remember), each time there was an opportunity for him to gain or keep power, I have my suspicions.

The real question, and I suspect the majority of effort, will go into what it will be 'sold as' to the terminally naive :wink:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports